PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot Artars for Enlarging?

Rob Rielly
30-Mar-1998, 13:35
At a recent camera show I was advised by a dealer that a Red Dot Artar (barrel) would make a good enlarging lens for 8 x 10. As I am in the process of setting up an 8 x 10 enlarging system, the price seems attractive. Does anyone have exp erience using these lenses as enlarging lenses and if so, how do they compare to regular enlarging lenses by Nikkor or Schneider (which would be my choices) I primarily print B & W in 11 x 14 and 16 x 20, with an occasional foray into 20x 24, so the magnification is not that great. Thanks for the info - Rob Rielly

Jamie Young
29-Nov-1998, 23:42
My local pro lab uses artars and ronars sometimes for 8x10 stuff. They work well. One thing to look out for is that they work best at certain f stops- usually f22. If your edges go fuzzy try to find the best f stop to print at. Jamie

John Kasaian
20-Jan-2015, 09:35
At one time I thought of using my 240 G Claron to double down as an enlarging lens but I found f/9 too dim. I'd expect similar from an Artar. I settled on a 229mm Copy Paragon (for $29) that has been on the Elwood for probably over ten years now. You might consider for 250mm Enlarging Ektar and use the RD Artar as a "taking" lens.

Luis-F-S
20-Jan-2015, 09:41
The Artar would be fine if you can live with f/9. I would try to find a 240 Rodagon instead, which should cost no more than the Artar, and probably less. L

Drew Wiley
20-Jan-2015, 10:22
f/9 is plenty of max aperture if you have a bright enough light source. I do it all the time with Apo Nikkors. But if you have a slow paper or weaker light, it will
certainly help to have the greater speed of a true enlarging lens. One problem with 8x10 enlarging lenses, however, is that they can be huge, heavy, and not every enlarger will accept them. I had to put my El Nikkor 360/5.6 on a mount even larger than a Sinar lensboard. By comparison, my Apo Nikkor 360/9 will easily fit just about any common enlarger mounting ring. Something in the 250mm range won't be quite as big; but it will have quite a bit of falloff due to the short focal length, and ideally will need a ground diffuser to keep light even, or else you will just have to burn in corners and edges more aggessively. No big deal. But I'd far rather use a longer lens for the better optical performance, unless of course you just don't have enough bellows or headroom for that.

vinny
20-Jan-2015, 10:23
Way to bring back the 90's fellas!

Bernice Loui
20-Jan-2015, 10:51
They make excellent enlarging lenses as long as one can live with projections of f16-f32. The difference between process lenses -vs- enlarging lenses appears to be max aperture as the typical enlarging lens is f5.6 vs a process lens f9 or smaller. This also significantly affects their physical size.

Suggest a focal length of no less than 300mm or about 12" for 8x10 at these magnification ratios.

Been using a 240mm RDA for decades as an enlarging lens on a Durst 138 with excellent results.

Bernice

At a recent camera show I was advised by a dealer that a Red Dot Artar (barrel) would make a good enlarging lens for 8 x 10. As I am in the process of setting up an 8 x 10 enlarging system, the price seems attractive. Does anyone have exp erience using these lenses as enlarging lenses and if so, how do they compare to regular enlarging lenses by Nikkor or Schneider (which would be my choices) I primarily print B & W in 11 x 14 and 16 x 20, with an occasional foray into 20x 24, so the magnification is not that great. Thanks for the info - Rob Rielly