PDA

View Full Version : STOLEN Canham 8X10 View Camera--please be on the look out!!

ahorick
26-Aug-2019, 14:48
Hello,

My name is Allie Horick and I am a 26-year-old starting an MFA program in photography at the University of Montana in Missoula. While moving here from Tennessee I had my u-haul trailer broken into in Billings, Montana and had my camera and all its equipment stolen. I'm hoping to get the word out to other large format photographers to increase the number of people looking out for it. If you see my camera listed for sale anywhere please either contact me (615-337-1544) or the Billings Police Department ((406) 657-8200). Below is a list of the items with serial numbers and some images. I did have most of the items insured and so will receive some money from the policy if they cannot be recovered, but if it's at all possible I hope to recover my camera and gear.
Thanks in advance for any help.

-Allie

K.B. Canham 8X10 Woodfield Camera - SN: 20743 - $4,080.00

K.B. Canham 8x10 GG Protector -no serial number- $46.00

Nikon 300 millimeter F/9 Nikkor-M 32771 - $ 700.00

Sinar 6x6 Lensboard/Copal - no serial number- $50.00

Harrison Std. Dark Cloth -no serial number- $75.00

Manfrotto tripod SN: MT190CXPRO-3W - $ 400.00

XPro 3-way tripod head: MHXPRO03W - $ 150.00

3-Cisco 8X10 cut film holder - no serial number - $ 150.00

Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Modiifcation: $150

Eric Woodbury
26-Aug-2019, 14:56
Bummer. I feel the pain. Sure glad it was insured, but it will undoubtedly take forever to recover.

Missoula is a nice town, but I guess Billings never will be.

I will keep my eyes out. Nice to have the numbers. I ask for serial numbers before I buy.

Be safe.

--ejw--

peter schrager
26-Aug-2019, 15:02
good luck Allie....well all be looking!!

Dugan
26-Aug-2019, 15:05
That is terrible news...
I will keep an eye out in SF Bay area.
I hope it is found and the thief/thieves do hard time.

Leszek Vogt
26-Aug-2019, 15:13
Allie, do keep an eye on nearby CL and epay. That is a total bummer.

Les

Winger
26-Aug-2019, 16:30
That sucks. Keep an eye on Facebook marketplace, too.

Chester McCheeserton
26-Aug-2019, 17:39
Horrible, but glad you had insurance.
Friend of mine had his camera, lenses, and holders stolen out of a storage unit.
Few months later he saw what looked like his gear listed on ebay.
He ended up buying back the gear, the holders still had film in them. They were his pictures on the film.

dodphotography
27-Aug-2019, 03:58
Horrible, but glad you had insurance.
Friend of mine had his camera, lenses, and holders stolen out of a storage unit.
Few months later he saw what looked like his gear listed on ebay.
He ended up buying back the gear, the holders still had film in them. They were his pictures on the film.

Whoa... what a sad world.

darr
27-Aug-2019, 04:37
Really sad about this. :(
Will definitely keep a lookout Allie!

Tin Can
27-Aug-2019, 05:21
Very glad you had insurance

Some household insurance does not cover items being moved between homes

We always lose even if covered, insurance companies don't want to pay 100%

My daughter lost all her Hasselblad when it was worth the most, 90's

Same story you have, during a move across USA, when she stopped to sleep in a rural area motel

This too will pass

Good Luck!

Bob Salomon
27-Aug-2019, 08:29
Have you notified a Keith Canham?

Michael Kadillak
27-Aug-2019, 13:53
Terribly sorry to hear of your situation and your loss. I grew up in SW Montana and going back these days it is quite apparent in speaking to friends of mine from back in the day that are police officers that Montana has a meth problem like they have never seen. It is all about cycling anything and everything that they can steal of value for their next high. How sad. After hearing years ago of Michael Smiths van getting broken into in Chicago and the loss of some valuable lenses I have committed myself to finding and booking travel inns where I can park in front of my room and I carry all of my photo gear into the room with me for the night. It is a glorious PITA particularly with heavy equipment and it takes extra time at the beginning and at the end of the day, but your camera equipment is intensely valuable and worth the effort. These things can be replaced. Continued success with your education. Live and learn.....

Bob Salomon
27-Aug-2019, 14:54
Terribly sorry to hear of your situation and your loss. I grew up in SW Montana and going back these days it is quite apparent in speaking to friends of mine from back in the day that are police officers that Montana has a meth problem like they have never seen. It is all about cycling anything and everything that they can steal of value for their next high. How sad. After hearing years ago of Michael Smiths van getting broken into in Chicago and the loss of some valuable lenses I have committed myself to finding and booking travel inns where I can park in front of my room and I carry all of my photo gear into the room with me for the night. It is a glorious PITA particularly with heavy equipment and it takes extra time at the beginning and at the end of the day, but your camera equipment is intensely valuable and worth the effort. These things can be replaced. Continued success with your education. Live and learn.....

When I was with EPOI and was doing a Bronica demo at a hotel in Chicago. At lunch time the sponsors told us to put our equipment under the draped table and join them for lunch as the room would be locked.
After a typical rubber chicken lunch we went back to the room and when I looked under the table to find that the two cases full of all the Bronicas and all the lenses were missing!

Police came, took a report and told me not to expect the equipment to show up. They were right!
When I called EPOI to report the theft their response was not to worry about it!

Eric Woodbury
27-Aug-2019, 16:37
Looks as though there are 15 pawn shops in Billings MT with a population of 100k. What's up with that?

That's a lot of pawn shops for a small town: one for every 6700 people. Weird. I'd look there.

darr
27-Aug-2019, 16:45
... At lunch time the sponsors told us to put our equipment under the draped table and join them for lunch as the room would be locked.
After a typical rubber chicken lunch we went back to the room and when I looked under the table to find that the two cases full of all the Bronicas and all the lenses were missing!
Had a similar experience while working a corporate event. Had lighting gear stowed under the table and behind the drape that was stolen. We stowed gear like that and had assistants watch over it, but learned the hard way that many servers at these events are day labor and will steal when no one is looking!

Bob Salomon
27-Aug-2019, 17:59
Had a similar experience while working a corporate event. Had lighting gear stowed under the table and behind the drape that was stolen. We stowed gear like that and had assistants watch over it, but learned the hard way that many servers at these events are day labor and will steal when no one is looking!

Along with $25,000.00 of equipment stolen from our car under the Strasbourg city hall was a non working Linhof 612 prototype that was for display only.
Figured whoever ended up with it would, at some point, send it to the factory for service since there was no place else. Darn thing never showed up!

darr
27-Aug-2019, 19:10
Along with $25,000.00 of equipment stolen from our car under the Strasbourg city hall was a non working Linhof 612 prototype that was for display only.
Figured whoever ended up with it would, at some point, send it to the factory for service since there was no place else. Darn thing never showed up!

They did not know what they had probably. Sad to think it may have ended up in a dumpster. 👎

Eric Woodbury
27-Aug-2019, 20:36
Similar here with lost equipment. I was working for big aero-space company. We left a demo camera and misc equipment in the lobby of the hotel for FED-X pickup. That equipment never made it home and everybody concerned pointed fingers in a circle. Never turned up. It was a pricey camera system -- high resolution (at the time) mid-wave infrared -- $100K. Big aero-space self-insures, so they ate that one. I doubt without training, anybody could turn it on, let alone use it in any way.

Bob Salomon
27-Aug-2019, 22:48
They did not know what they had probably. Sad to think it may have ended up in a dumpster. 👎

I really didn’t care if it ended up in a dumpster but the also got over 30 roll of exposed film that I would drill like back!

pepeguitarra
27-Aug-2019, 22:57
Montana?

Roger Thoms
28-Aug-2019, 05:49
I really didn’t care if it ended up in a dumpster but the also got over 30 roll of exposed film that I would drill like back!

“drill” :) guess it can happen to the best of us.

Roger

Duolab123
28-Aug-2019, 17:48
People probably didn't know what they were stealing. I don't leave anything of value in my car, in fact during the day I leave windows down on sunny days. That way if someone wants 2 dollars worth of change, I don't need to pay deductible for broken glass.
When I was in Florida for a conference at least 20 years back, I saw a desperate person smash out a window of a car for a consumer video camera, pre digital, probably got 20 bucks for it. Broad daylight in a crowded parking lot.

Michael Kadillak
28-Aug-2019, 19:01
Desperate people hit the nail on the head.

I started checking into a hotel in North Albuquerque on a business trip off of a major interstate highway route in 2016 and encountered bullet proof glass at the check in counter and a full time armed security guard at the front entrance. I politely asked the attendant where I could go to not need the obvious security "issues" and graciously she told me that there was a Marriott Courtyard a couple of miles down the road that had security at the entrance. I gladly paid the extra $40 per nights stay and never looked back. Peace of mind is worth a whole lot more than $40. A month later a friend that stayed in the same part of Albuquerque had his car broken into in the parking lot at a hotel over night. The police he filed the incident report with confirmed that it was a function of gang activity in the area. I hate to say it but these days you have to be aware of crime that can and will take advantage of you if you give these criminals an opportunity.

Bob Salomon
28-Aug-2019, 19:26
Desperate people hit the nail on the head.

I started checking into a hotel in North Albuquerque on a business trip off of a major interstate highway route in 2016 and encountered bullet proof glass at the check in counter and a full time armed security guard at the front entrance. I politely asked the attendant where I could go to not need the obvious security "issues" and graciously she told me that there was a Marriott Courtyard a couple of miles down the road that had security at the entrance. I gladly paid the extra $40 per nights stay and never looked back. Peace of mind is worth a whole lot more than $40. A month later a friend that stayed in the same part of Albuquerque had his car broken into in the parking lot at a hotel over night. The police he filed the incident report with confirmed that it was a function of gang activity in the area. I hate to say it but these days you have to be aware of crime that can and will take advantage of you if you give these criminals an opportunity.

I use to stay at a Courtyard in Oakland, CA that had an armed guard at the entrance from the street that would stop each car on the way into the hotel area!
Never saw any problems there fortunately!

Willie
29-Aug-2019, 07:26
People probably didn't know what they were stealing. I don't leave anything of value in my car, in fact during the day I leave windows down on sunny days. That way if someone wants 2 dollars worth of change, I don't need to pay deductible for broken glass.
When I was in Florida for a conference at least 20 years back, I saw a desperate person smash out a window of a car for a consumer video camera, pre digital, probably got 20 bucks for it. Broad daylight in a crowded parking lot.

You didn't go over and whack he jackass thief upside the head?

Michael Kadillak
29-Aug-2019, 10:00
You didn't go over and whack he jackass thief upside the head?

Those were the old days. Welcome to the Brave New World of decriminalized "minor" offenses.