PDA

View Full Version : Pentax spotmeter - replacement battery cover or alternative?

Meekyman
26-Aug-2019, 11:02
Hi Folks,

I have a digital pentax spotmeter - the sort that has a red read out of the EV. I needed to change the battery and managed to drop the battery cover in a stream, gone forever. Other than cursing, any suggestions how I might be able to get one or is there some sort of alternative? Will I have to buy a whole new meter? I've looked at how much the meters go for nowadays and am shocked!

Cheers

Graham

Jim Noel
26-Aug-2019, 13:08
Iwould obtain a small piece of plastic and slowly cut and file it to fit. It will take a while, but can be done.

BBW
26-Aug-2019, 14:14
Have a friend with a 3D printer?

LabRat
26-Aug-2019, 14:28
Contact Pentax in Colorado for replacement...

Steve K

Eric Woodbury
26-Aug-2019, 14:50
It's a little metal disk with a spring? I dropped mine in the dunes of Death Valley. Took me half hour to find it. Now I change batteries over my darkcloth. Can't be made of plastic, you need the electrical conduction.

As a temporary measure, try a ball of aluminum foil threaded into the hole. This has worked for me. Also, occasionally one sees this meter for sale for parts.

--ejw--

diversey
26-Aug-2019, 15:01
Find an old Pentax Camera using battery to operate in a thrifty store or evil bay, the battery cover on camera is exactly the same as the Pentax digital spot meter, or search Pentax battery cover on evil bay.

Drew Wiley
26-Aug-2019, 15:11
No big deal. Quality Light Metric in Hollywood, CA services them and has parts.

Jody_S
27-Aug-2019, 09:50
My analog Pentax spot came to me without the battery cover. I took one from an M-series Pentax camera, it was a perfect fit.

Doremus Scudder
27-Aug-2019, 10:21
No big deal. Quality Light Metric in Hollywood, CA services them and has parts.

Finally! (sigh...) Why do people overlook the obvious.

LabRat
27-Aug-2019, 14:11
Finally! (sigh...) Why do people overlook the obvious.

Um, when I sent mine to QLM for service, George sent it to Pentax in Englewood, CO, and didn't charge me a service fee...

Steve K

Keith Fleming
27-Aug-2019, 20:40
I thought Quality Light Metric had closed down. Or has George just stopped working on Weston light meters because of the lack of repair parts?

Keith

Meekyman
28-Aug-2019, 03:00
Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.

Hollywood is a fair way from Cambridge, England so I'll try locally first!

Cheers

Graham

Doremus Scudder
28-Aug-2019, 10:07
Meekyman,

I didn't see you were in England... I guess QLM is a bit distant. There must be someone in the UK or EU that services light meters however. You should look for them. They'll be able to supply you with a part or point you in the right direction.

You might also try to contact Pentax in Englewood, Colorado. They might have a part they could simply send you.

Good luck,

Doremus

Drew Wiley
28-Aug-2019, 11:19
Last I heard, George had simply closed his storefront shop, but was still in business from his home. Sounded like a semi-retirement situation, which is why he might have farmed out minor tasks to Englewood.

Keith Fleming
28-Aug-2019, 12:59
Drew,

Thanks for that info!

Keith

Bob Salomon
28-Aug-2019, 14:16
Meekyman,

I didn't see you were in England... I guess QLM is a bit distant. There must be someone in the UK or EU that services light meters however. You should look for them. They'll be able to supply you with a part or point you in the right direction.

You might also try to contact Pentax in Englewood, Colorado. They might have a part they could simply send you.

Good luck,

Doremus

Pentax has been owned by Ricoh for several years. Their repair info is here:

http://www.precisioncamera.com/Ricoh/repair_information_Ricoh.html

Meekyman
4-Sep-2019, 13:26
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied.

I tried Pentax/Ricoh. UK service side were useless...too old a tool apparently. Usefully, Pentax USA told me the contact details of the UK service agent!

I'd especially like to thank Eric who suggested the aluminium foil trick...worked well.. and also the suggestions to buy a battery cover from an M series Pentax camera. I did that, only a few £ from evil bay. In itself it didn't solve the problem, but the addition of a little ball of aluminium foil inside the battery cover worked wonders.

Many thanks once again!

Graham