PDA

View Full Version : goerz apochromat artar 19" f:11

linhofbiker
26-Aug-2019, 05:06
I have this lens in barrel. It has an aperture ring that goes from f:11 to f:90. It has a red dot between Apochromat and Artar. I hope to mount it in a size 3 shutter and or the #4 Acme. It is the longest lens I have at 19 inches. I assume it is a process lens that should be OK at infinity for the 5x7 and 4x10 formats. Any experience with this lens?

Alan9940
26-Aug-2019, 07:39
I have this lens in barrel. It has an aperture ring that goes from f:11 to f:90. It has a red dot between Apochromat and Artar. I hope to mount it in a size 3 shutter and or the #4 Acme. It is the longest lens I have at 19 inches. I assume it is a process lens that should be OK at infinity for the 5x7 and 4x10 formats. Any experience with this lens?

No specific experience with that lens, but I have a 19" Schneider Apo-Artar that I've used for years on my 8x10 shooting all manner of subjects and at various distances; always been satisfied with results.

Mark Sampson
26-Aug-2019, 07:49
The reference standard. Though designed for close-up and copy work, they are superb at infinity as well.
I used one on the job at Kodak- IIRC it was in a #4 Ilex shutter. You'll love yours.

Jim Noel
26-Aug-2019, 09:08
I have a 19" which I have used for a lot of years. I won't trade it fr any other lens . A great lens.

John Kasaian
26-Aug-2019, 09:13
I have a 19" red dot APO Artar in an Acme.
She's a keeper.
One of my most favorite lens

Dugan
26-Aug-2019, 09:16
According to SK Grimes, it will require a #4 shutter.
I have the earlier non-Red Dot, and will be sending it to them to have them mount it in an Alphax #4.

Luis-F-S
26-Aug-2019, 16:45
Will also mount in a Copal 3 which to me is more accurate and convenient than the #4 Acme. Great lens with great coverage. L

linhofbiker
26-Aug-2019, 17:18
Will also mount in a Copal 3 which to me is more accurate and convenient than the #4 Acme. Great lens with great coverage. L

Great. I have a Compur 3 Electronic with 150 Comparon coming from Austria. Would you mount the Artar in its place. Where do I ship it and what do you charge for the installation?

aphcl84
26-Aug-2019, 17:35
Great. I have a Compur 3 Electronic with 150 Comparon coming from Austria. Would you mount the Artar in its place. Where do I ship it and what do you charge for the installation?

The Compur 3 Electronic shutter has a slightly smaller clear aperture of 40mm vs the 45mm of the Copal and Compur 3 mechanical shutters so it may still work but you will have to double check the aperture diameter. My Apo-Raptar 480mm f/10 lost it's max aperture on the electronic shutter so I ended up mounting it on a Copal 3s instead.

linhofbiker
26-Aug-2019, 18:39
The Compur 3 Electronic shutter has a slightly smaller clear aperture of 40mm vs the 45mm of the Copal and Compur 3 mechanical shutters so it may still work but you will have to double check the aperture diameter. My Apo-Raptar 480mm f/10 lost it's max aperture on the electronic shutter so I ended up mounting it on a Copal 3s instead.

The artar 19" f:11 also has an aperture of 45mm, so I would lose a little maximum aperture f:11 would be about a bit larger than f:16. I can live with this since I do not have Copal or Compur mechanical shutter available.