PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Recognize this camera?

Ethan
24-Aug-2019, 17:30
I was recently given this camera by a family member, and it has no markings on it, so I'm not sure what exactly it is. It had a Dallmeyer brass barrel lens on it, which I have asked about in the lens sub forum, but as I said, the camera itself has no markings on it from what I can tell. It has definitely seen better days, but it seems well made. Its an older style of field camera, and I think is made of mahogany. The fittings appear to be a steel of some sort, and might be stainless given that there is little corrosion. The tripod mount is a 1/4 inch screw, and it has geared rise on the front standard, as well as geared tilt on the rear standard. The ground glass has frame markings for various formats on it, but that may not be original, and the ground glass has 4 double hinges it pulls back on to load film (or likely a plate, given the lens that it had), which is not something I myself had seen before. If you know anything about this camera, or have any clues as to what it may be, please share them! (Photos below)

Thanks,
Ethan

Ethan
24-Aug-2019, 17:31

Ethan
24-Aug-2019, 17:31

aphcl84
24-Aug-2019, 18:05
Looks very similar to the Korona I used to own.

Whir-Click
24-Aug-2019, 18:07
Most of the hardware is the spitting, unmistakable image of a Korona. The spring arrangement on the back doesn’t match later Korona Views, but looks like an earlier version of the same distinct concept. Likely cherry wood. That’s a very handsome camera.

Whir-Click
24-Aug-2019, 18:11
Oh, and the hardware is not steel, but rather nickel-plated brass. Takes a very nice shine.

Ethan
24-Aug-2019, 18:13
Cool, I’ll look into early Korona view cameras. It is a very nice looking camera, and the bellows are still light tight, however it has definitely been through a lot, there’s a large chunk of wood missing from the baseboard, making me think it may have been dropped at some point. This means the back will just fall off if you’re not careful... nothing I can’t fix though.

Is it common for Korona view cameras to not have any label on them?

aphcl84
24-Aug-2019, 18:23
My Korona had a fairly fragile logo on the front standard that was almost gone when I got it, so it likely was rubbed off. Btw the bellows have a couple loops and a hook that's supposed to be on top of the camera so it's likely the bellows were taken off and installed incorrectly.

Two23
24-Aug-2019, 18:26
The korona name would have been on a decal on lower crossbar of front standard.

Kent in SD

Oren Grad
24-Aug-2019, 18:51
Spend enough time on this site...

https://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/

...and you should be able to identify it, or at least narrow it down considerably.

neil poulsen
24-Aug-2019, 19:12
How about a Kodak. I forget the model number; but, I had a Kodak that looked similar.

William Whitaker
25-Aug-2019, 10:15
Maybe Gundlach...

alfredian
25-Aug-2019, 14:57
Looks like a Gundlach/Korona. Check out eBay - there is a 4x5 Gundlach up with the same metal top-bar with raised-ridge (for stability/nonbending). The nameplate on that one is small, held on w/2 screw/nails. Some of the Gundlach/Koronas have a glue-on decal with is a lot less durable. The rest of the hardware looks like it came out of the same stock-bin as your photos. Back in the day, Eastman/Empire/Kodak & Gundlach/Korona were all centered in Rochester, New York & probably used a lot of the same suppliers. Kodak bought up/merged with Empire & Century & took over, then (supposedly) cheapened their product line. Kodak needed more cameras out there to buy more of their main product line, plates & film.--alfredian

Rod Klukas
31-Aug-2019, 18:13
The closest models I can find are a Kodak 2D or Empire state models. There were slight variations as the cameras were made for Kodak and others by many builders in the late 19th and early 20th Century including, of course, EHT Anthony. But the rear tilt and the front having only rise/fall, and the hardware placement lead me to those models.

They were made in 5x7, 8x10 and full plate (6.5 X 8.5), inches.

Chauncey Walden
1-Sep-2019, 11:49
Definitely not a Kodak 2D. Hardware is all wrong.

alfredian
2-Sep-2019, 09:10
Back again - It's a Korona most likely, and the bellows are indeed right-way 'round. I have a pair of Korona 4x5s & they have rings on top - they hook onto a latch on the front riser. This is to (I think) gather in slack if the bellows in only partly extended - they tend to sag otherwise. A member had a Korona 8x20 for sale a few months ago & it had a series of 2-3 rings per side. They latched onto a hook back on the rear frame, as does your example. I wouldn't trust the old loop-straps - they are leather and brittle, at least my older one is. I'd use a balloon or something to prop up a saggy bellows.--alfredian