PDA

View Full Version : Dual Focusing Mechanism

B.S.Kumar
11-Aug-2019, 16:56
I'm curious about the coarse and fine focusing mechanism found in microscopes, where the outer, larger knob controls coarse focusing and the inner knob controls fine focusing.

What kind of mechanism is used?

Any pointers or links will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kumar

ramesesjd
11-Aug-2019, 17:12
Hi Kumar,

On the microscopes I've used, turning the outer knob at a given rate causes the inner knob to turns at a faster, and vice versa. Thus, I suspect the outer and inner knobs are connected through a planetary gear arrangement. The rotation is converted into linear motion of the stage or eyepiece/eyepieces (depending on the age/design of the microscope) through a rack-and-pinion arrangement.

I hope that helps. Others here have more experience than I do, so I'm curious to see what they say.

Regards,
-R

B.S.Kumar
11-Aug-2019, 18:12
Ramesesjd,

I was at a lab the other day when I saw this dual focus mechanism. I asked to use it, and was amazed at the smoothness. The inner knob did turn along with the outer knob, but if I held the inner knob, it did not prevent the outer knob from being turned. This makes me believe that the two knobs are not physically connected.

Kumar

ramesesjd
11-Aug-2019, 19:10
Hi Kumar,

That's very interesting. Since the inner knob turned along with the outer knob there surely must be some connection. Perhaps clutch is engaged when the inner knob experiences too much torque (e.g. like being held while the outer knob is turned) to prevent damage. I might be totally off here but I'm now even more curious to hear what others have to say.

Cheers,
-R

Audii-Dudii
11-Aug-2019, 19:23
FYI, Cambo now offers an optional (and expensive!) fine-focus knob for its Actus series cameras: https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-series/actus-b-mini-view-camera/ac-380/

It's claimed to replace the original focusing knob, so whatever magic is involved here is contained within the knob itself and is not part of the original focusing mechanism.

R.K
11-Aug-2019, 20:19
I never see that mechanizm. But if it is a planetary reduser, than it will allow to turn a I high speed wheel when the outer low speed wheel hold unmoved. The speed ot rotation will change, but it may be any way faster then when you turn the outer slow speed wheel.

Oren Grad
11-Aug-2019, 20:21
The LPL 4x5 enlargers have coaxial coarse and fine focus in the same way, though the control on my 4500II doesn't match the precision feel of the best microscopes I used back in the day.

Jim C.
11-Aug-2019, 21:48
Planetary it is -
https://www.quora.com/What-is-coarse-adjustment-and-fine-adjustment-in-a-microscope

Jim C.
11-Aug-2019, 21:51
one more for the mechanically inclined -
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/2a/2e/04/e0b7670cbcf3c6/US4482221.pdf

Bernice Loui
11-Aug-2019, 22:01
It's complex depending on the specific microscope and the requirements put on it. Stereo microscope (low magnification) tend to have a planetary reduction system often done by tension loaded chrome steel balls with a shaft in the center and a spherical outer housing for the balls to ride on. These planetary reduction systems are run in special friction lubricants that serve to increase friction and reduce wear.

Example of a good microscope focus block design can be found on the Leitz Ortholux_Orthoplan. It is quite a cleaver mechanism that is backlash free with very precise movements, very durable, and stable once set. These are the mechanical demands placed on any good microscope. Description of how it works is on page 15-16 of this document:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artoct09/The_Leitz_Orthoplan_and_Ortholux_II_Research_Microscopes_Ver_4.pdfypically

Cameras typically do not need this precise and complex of a focus mechanism due to the scale of subjects and magnifications and ... involved.

Bernice

Dan Fromm
12-Aug-2019, 05:39
If I'm not mistaken the stereo microscope I use in the lab - Leica SZ 12.5 -- has only coarse focus. The cheap Unitron stereo 'scope I use at home also has only coarse focus. The Leica goes up to 50x (it has an 0.5 supplementary lens), the Unitron to 60x with a 2x supplementary, and neither is hard to focus.

If fine focus were needed, I'm sure the Leica would have it.

Bernice Loui
12-Aug-2019, 08:14
Majority of Stereo microscopes do not have fine focus. Exceptions, few of the Zeiss SV and Stemi series, Wild-Leica M420 series and very few others. Fact is at 50X fine focus is not really needed. On microscopes with MUCH higher magnification, fine focus becomes a must have.

Difficult to see the real world need for "fine focus" on a view camera.

BTW, nothing "cheap" about Unitron microscopes, they are often very good for what they cost.

Bernice

If I'm not mistaken the stereo microscope I use in the lab - Leica SZ 12.5 -- has only coarse focus. The cheap Unitron stereo 'scope I use at home also has only coarse focus. The Leica goes up to 50x (it has an 0.5 supplementary lens), the Unitron to 60x with a 2x supplementary, and neither is hard to focus.

If fine focus were needed, I'm sure the Leica would have it.

B.S.Kumar
12-Aug-2019, 17:02
Thanks to all of you. It does look like a planetary gear is involved. I will read up some more.

Kumar

Bob Salomon
12-Aug-2019, 17:19
Majority of Stereo microscopes do not have fine focus. Exceptions, few of the Zeiss SV and Stemi series, Wild-Leica M420 series and very few others. Fact is at 50X fine focus is not really needed. On microscopes with MUCH higher magnification, fine focus becomes a must have.

Difficult to see the real world need for "fine focus" on a view camera.

BTW, nothing "cheap" about Unitron microscopes, they are often very good for what they cost.

Bernice

I sold Unitron branded products for EPOI after Unitron was bought by Ehrenreich, never the microscopes though.

Peter De Smidt
12-Aug-2019, 17:49
I’d ask here: http://www.photomacrography.net/

MartinP
13-Aug-2019, 13:27
The planetary gear (I assume that's how it works) coarse/fine idea was used by Meopta (who still make microscopes etc.) as a replacement for the standard focussing wheel on their later enlargers. It works well on my Opemus-6, and also enables the fitting of a flexible extension-shaft to avoid the gorilla-arms focussing dilemma. On the other hand, De Vere have a perfectly adequate, single-speed, focussing system with the focus and stage-height controls in a static position at the front of the baseboard. Both systems are functional, with the De Vere one being less fiddly to use.

My current 4x5 is an Intrepid, so no multi-speed focussing there, and in my limited experience of two other cameras I don't recall using a camera with this feature before. Is it common? Maybe on supa-dupa mono-rail Sinars or something like that?