PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NW Oregon

NW2Wheeler
10-Aug-2019, 08:45
Hi Guys and Girls,
I have been a viewer of this forum for some time, soaking up the accumulated wisdom of the LF community.
I love doing landscape photography with my 4x5's - and wish to improve my technique ( I sense a long journey ahead on that one).:rolleyes:

paulbarden
10-Aug-2019, 08:54
Welcome!
Paul, who is in the southern Willamette Valley.

neil poulsen
10-Aug-2019, 10:02
Nice to have you on board.

Doremus Scudder
10-Aug-2019, 10:41
Welcome from yet another Oregonian (I'm a Eugenian now, after 30 years in Europe).

Seems like we really need an Oregon LF coffee klatch or the like :)

2Wheeler, are those two wheels a bicycle? I'm curious because I spent lots of time hauling my 4x5 kit around cities in Europe on my bike.

You'll find this forum a friendly and informative resource. Check out Photrio as well if you're basically analogue.

Best,

Doremus

neil poulsen
11-Aug-2019, 05:47
. . . Seems like we really need an Oregon LF coffee klatch or the like :) . . .

I'm game.

Do you get to the Portland area very often?

Or Corvallis? (I'm an Oregon State alumni.)

NW2Wheeler
12-Aug-2019, 19:25
Thanks for the gracious welcome, guys.
I would definitely go for a coffee klatch - it would be great to see some other LF owners.
It is striking the number of people who come up to me and say they "used" to shoot LF - but quit.

I live / work in the Portland area, so Willamette Valley is local (at least Friday through Sunday).

Doremus, the 2Wheels are motorcycles - i have a multiple Italian motorcycle "problem":rolleyes:
And a Honda, and a Harley (those I don't put in the "problem" category - yet).

Jim Fitzgerald
12-Aug-2019, 21:23
Welcome, I'm across the river in Vancouver. Coffe is always good.

paulbarden
13-Aug-2019, 07:05
I do occasionally make a trek into PDX, so anything is possible. Maybe a meetup in the vicinity of Blue Moon Camera?

Doremus Scudder
13-Aug-2019, 11:15
I'd make the trip up to Portland (or wherever) to meet with a group if a meeting were arranged. I'm flexible as to schedule, so those with constraints should probably arrange things if there is interest.

Best,

Doremus

NW2Wheeler
15-Aug-2019, 21:22
Jim,
For me, coffee is a necessity in the morning !
I'm in Vancouver at least couple of times a month (or, right across the river), usually on Friday or Saturday mornings to avoid the Traffic From Hell going back South.
When I am in the area, I usually have a pretty flexible schedule.
If you have the inclination, shoot me a pm

NW2Wheeler
15-Aug-2019, 21:30
Paul,
As a matter of fact, I will be in that area tomorrow morning.
When I don't want to dedicate an entire day to hauling the 4x5 around, that is one of the places I frequent.
Some day, Some day, I will get a picture of the Bridge i really like (hope springs eternal).

As a consolation for not getting a great shot, I usually eat at the John St. Cafe, or, the Occidental WurstHaus.
Makes for a pleasant little diversion.

Whenever you are planning a trip up, shoot me a pm.

robert lyons
16-Aug-2019, 08:47
Welcome and I myself am new to the PDX area as well! While not only a large format person I do have a lot of past experience with large formats and currently am involved in many new discussions around the medium. It would be great to meet ip with some people for coffee and to talk....about aesthetics, pushing the medium and such......schedule is flexible and I am located in SE area.

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Aug-2019, 09:35
I have a somewhat flexible schedule as well. I've got a good friend coming to stay with us on Monday and the weekend is busy but Sunday may work for me. Also to those who are new to the area and want to learn more about the area and large format and alternative process printing we are having an Alternative Process Symposium in Astoria Oregon. I highly recommend this and visiting the gallery which is dedicated to photography only. I'll post the link. Some great photographer will be there. Thanks.

http://lightbox-photographic.com/workshops/

John Olsen
16-Aug-2019, 16:46
Doremus, the 2Wheels are motorcycles - i have a multiple Italian motorcycle "problem":rolleyes:
And a Honda, and a Harley (those I don't put in the "problem" category - yet).

I used to have a Ducati problem, but I'm all better now with a serious Honda problem. But, they do make good photo subjects. If you come this far up the coast, there's lots to shoot here too.