PDA

View Full Version : GMT ZULU Time

Tin Can
6-Aug-2019, 14:25
It occurred to me just now, perhaps an International Forum should run on GMT, aka ZULU time.

Today I got 2 notifications of new product pertaining to our interest.

The New Product is a KS from 2 people, glass plate DDS.

Nodda Duma says watch for a early bird KS at 12 PM Eastern and Chroma Camera says 1600 hrs.

Both are the same moment.

I don't know what mods think, but this gets confusing.

This is very good news regardless.

Oren Grad
6-Aug-2019, 14:30
You can customize your time zone display from the menu bar at the top: Forum -> Forum Actions -> General Settings, scroll down to "Date & Time Options".

We're not going to enforce a specific time zone usage on everyone - we want to limit our rules to those that are essential to the smooth running of the Forum. But certainly, when you have some time-specific information to post, the courteous thing to do is to be explicit about what time zone you're referring to. I think most people are already careful about that.

Tin Can
6-Aug-2019, 14:37
I know that, but posters are using local time.

My idea is change all LFPF to GMT.

You can customize your time zone display from the menu bar at the top: Forum -> Forum Actions -> General Settings, scroll down to "Date & Time Options".

BrianShaw
6-Aug-2019, 14:41
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

Oren Grad
6-Aug-2019, 14:51
My idea is change all LFPF to GMT.

Understood. But see the rest of my last post, which I added while you were in the process of posting your reply.

Keith Pitman
6-Aug-2019, 16:07
The New Product is a KS from 2 people, glass plate DDS..

???Is this about 2 dentists from Kansas???

andrewch59
6-Aug-2019, 16:08
I got a message from Steve at Chroma camera's, his quoted time was 1600 Friday, I take that as being his local time in England??

Oren Grad
6-Aug-2019, 16:28
There's already a thread for the Kansas dentists event, so head on down there and I'm sure Jason will be happy to sort out the timing:

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?150231-Affordable-Dry-Plate-Holder-Kickstarter-coming (https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?150231-Affordable-Dry-Plate-Holder-Kickstarter-coming!)

William Whitaker
6-Aug-2019, 16:31
I don't like going to the dentist whatever time it is!

Roger Thoms
6-Aug-2019, 19:26
I have my dentist phone number programmed into my phone so that when they call me for an appointment I know not to answer it. :rolleyes:

Roger

Tin Can
7-Aug-2019, 04:36
I gave up answering phones 1980 when I got my first Panasonic answer machine, it was a wonder and cost $400.

Peter Collins
7-Aug-2019, 14:17
At the footer of our Forum page it states that all times are GMT (Greenwich Mean Time? =UTC?) plus 1. Is this to say that all times are as found in mainland Europe?

If so, why? Why +1??

Thanks!

Tin Can
7-Aug-2019, 14:22
Because each of us can set our local time. In settings.

Your post says 16:17 in my view.

At the footer of our Forum page it states that all times are GMT (Greenwich Mean Time? =UTC?) plus 1. Is this to say that all times are as found in mainland Europe?

If so, why? Why +1??

Thanks!

Oren Grad
7-Aug-2019, 14:37

If so, why? Why +1??

Thanks!

The statement in the footer automatically adjusts to whatever setting you have under General Settings -> Date & Time Options. Try it and see!

Peter Collins
7-Aug-2019, 16:34
Thank you, Tin and Oren. I'm slow to catch on and I need your push.

tonyowen
8-Aug-2019, 11:24
"Zulu time" is used in the military and in navigation generally as a term for Universal Coordinated Time (UCT), sometimes called Universal Time Coordinated ( UTC ) or Coordinated Universal Time (but abbreviated UTC), and formerly called Greenwich Mean Time.
Z, in the NATO phonetic alphabet, is "Zulu". Which in this context stands for “zero hours”, meaning the offset from Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is zero? Effectively, Zulu Time is GMT.
However, it is claimed that the loss the Royal Navy’s international prestige, means it is no longer ‘correct’ to use GMT!!!!!!
In the UK from 1am on the last Sunday in March to 2am on the last Sunday in October all clocks are put forward one hour [which gives BST - British Summer Time], outside these days the clocks are put back one hour to UTC time.
Europe, like other continents has many time zones.

Regards
Tony

Tin Can
8-Aug-2019, 11:43
Chicago - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? (https://youtu.be/7uy0ldI_1HA)

A song

BrianShaw
8-Aug-2019, 15:11
... and don’t forget Oxford Time!

Leszek Vogt
8-Aug-2019, 19:48
Chicago - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

I'd answer that, Randy, however my clock has no hands (read retirement clock).

Les

Duolab123
8-Aug-2019, 19:49
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-extreme-daylight-savings-time-of-world-war-ii

We've got it easy. GMT reminds me of my youth, ZULU reminds me of apocalyptic war movies and novels from the 50's and 60's, and UTC reminds me of when I would set my watch using a short wave radio :-)

I'm in the time zone, Central Time, as Houston, Texas. Mission control for the Apollo missions. I thought it was pretty cool that, back then, NASA used Central time, at least
the PR guys did. Daylight savings time is the silliest concept, IMHO

Tin Can
9-Aug-2019, 04:37
Been using WWV (https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-frequency-division/radio-stations/wwv)since 1962. Their mission has expanded to MARS and DoD.

tonyowen
9-Aug-2019, 06:15
[QUOTE=Duolab123;1512299 Daylight savings time is the silliest concept, IMHO[/QUOTE]

Outdated perhaps but not silliest, since it had a purpose in the beginning. You might argue that local time [ie village] is better than standard time [ie small country without different geographical time zones ], but in that case any nationally published train timetables, bus timetables or tide times would be erroneous except at the source of the published information.

Also the length of day light hours varies with the latitude of location. For instance, the equatorial countries have very little variation in length of day light; whereas the high northern and southern latitudes have gross variations in the length of day light. The 'lower 48 states' are at least 10 degrees of latitude further south of where I am located and here the length of day light varies from more that 18 hours to less that 10 hours.

regards
Tony