PDA

View Full Version : Help With Inherited Century Model 46 No. 8 Cirkut Outfit

brentoma589
5-Aug-2019, 15:30
Hello all

My great uncle recently inherited the camera pictured in the attached images, it is a Century (Model 46) "No. 8 Cirkut Outfit." It belonged to his father, and he and his father used to use it. As far as he knows, it should be in working condition. I am a professional digital photographer with minimal experience in 35mm film and zero experience in larger formats. I am hoping someone here can help me learn anything about this camera and/or what possibilities there are to use it today.

It is my understanding from initial research that the unique aspect of this camera was its spinning panorama ability. From what I understand after reading here and elsewhere, this special Cirkut panorama film is no longer readily available. But, I believe the camera can also be used without the Cirkut attachment to take standard photos. I am unsure if I just need a certain size film or what. I appreciate any help, thank you!

-Brendan

LabRat
5-Aug-2019, 18:16
The roll back comes off, and there is a recess for a film holder... The ground glass frame might be in the kit, with wood frame + GG with springs that screw to camera back...

I don't remember which, but I have (I think) a #8 body also, and mine will fit 6 1/2 x 8 1/2" Kodak holders, but info is online about them, but I'm not sure of my model right now...

The next step is to extend the bellows, put a bright flashlight inside and examine (in a dark room) if you see any pinholes of light through them...

Steve K

LabRat
5-Aug-2019, 18:57
In addition, the camera was also sold without the pano back, and was called an RB Cycle Graphic or Graflex, so something else to look for...

Steve K

brentoma589
23-Aug-2019, 13:53
Hi Steve,

Sorry for the late reply, but I really appreciate the help and the suggestions. I will do further research accordingly!

-Brendan

LabRat
23-Aug-2019, 14:21
No problemo...

If you have any ??? about something involving looking at the camera, I might know where in storage it is, but might take some time (weeks/months) to dig it out...

They have little movements, but can be used for portraits and grand landscapes...

I have parts of the spring back, no pano back, but no holders... But I have a large stack of 8x10 holders I might be able to make a cropped adapter plate for the rear, or maybe smaller holders, so has been a dead project for me...

Have summer fun!!!

Steve K

Ethan
23-Aug-2019, 17:00
I’ll be interested in how this thread progresses! I hadn’t heard of the Cirkut format before, but it seems interesting and I may have to do more research. I wish you luck in using it to take normal photos, but if you want to do any panoramic photos, in my researching I found that cirkut 8” and 10” are formats you can purchase during Ilford’s annual ultra large format sheet film campaign. It doesn’t appear cheap at first at $468 per 100’ roll, but if you think of that as 120 8x10 sheets, it’s not a bad price at all. Here’s where I found that info: https://viewcamerastore.com/search?type=product&q=Cirkut
Good luck, and welcome to the world of large format!