PDA

View Full Version : Learning about environmental portraiture - which photographers should I study?

Ulophot
30-Jul-2019, 08:38
I am looking for ideas in B&W so-called environmental portraiture and wonder who can suggest photographers whose work to study. I am well familiar with many of the greats of the past. My approach would be called conservative or traditional. I am trying to stick mostly to natural light, though I'm finding it difficult in the (bland, modern, spartan) interiors I have been working in so far. Visual metaphor, through light, form, and composition, that complements the subject in some way, is a matter occupying my thoughts these days. Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark Sampson
30-Jul-2019, 09:29
There's a recent book out called, I think, "Arnold Newman At Work". I borrowed a copy a few months ago and I found it fascinating, as I think you will. Also, David Plowden's "End of an Era". It's about the last steam-powered Great Lakes freighters, but his portraits of the sailors are quite good, to say the least. To take it back before our time, Paul Strand in New England and the Hebrides; even as far back as Hill & Adamson with their portraits of soldiers and fishermen.

Tin Can
30-Jul-2019, 10:05
https://portraitofwar.com/

Michael Graves
30-Jul-2019, 10:06
If you can find it, Dean Collins had a nice video on environmental portraiture. He used artificial lights to augment natural light and got some really nice stuff.

Vaughn
30-Jul-2019, 11:52
If keep them far away, you don't have to worry about them blinking...

Three Brothers, The Three Brothers, Yosemite Valley, Platinum/palladium print, 8x10

lab black
30-Jul-2019, 12:03
Environmental portraiture covers a broad spectrum however i certainly regard August Sander as one of the true masters of the genre.

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2019, 12:50
I am looking for ideas in B&W so-called environmental portraiture and wonder who can suggest photographers whose work to study. I am well familiar with many of the greats of the past. My approach would be called conservative or traditional. I am trying to stick mostly to natural light, though I'm finding it difficult in the (bland, modern, spartan) interiors I have been working in so far. Visual metaphor, through light, form, and composition, that complements the subject in some way, is a matter occupying my thoughts these days. Thanks for any suggestions.

An excellent, award winning, environmental photographer was Trigger Alpert in Darien, CT. I had the horrible fortune of having to try to compete with him in photography! Fortunately very few could compete with his other talent. Look him up!

Ulophot
30-Jul-2019, 13:25
Okay, Vaughn, I'll keep that in mind.

Tin Can
30-Jul-2019, 13:36
I did, his photography is barely mentioned.

An excellent, award winning, environmental photographer was Trigger Alpert in Darien, CT. I had the horrible fortune of having to try to compete with him in photography! Fortunately very few could compete with his other talent. Look him up!

Ulophot
30-Jul-2019, 13:36
Mark, I'm not familiar with Plowden's work. Some of it I have just looked up is intriguing. I'll also look up the Newan book. I know his work but can undoubtedly learn from his work-ing.

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2019, 13:38
I did, his photography is barely mentioned.

When you played with the bands that he played with and on the TV shows he played with his main claim to fame was as a musician! But he and his son were very good photographers!

Jeroen
30-Jul-2019, 14:37
Environmental portraiture covers a broad spectrum however i certainly regard August Sander as one of the true masters of the genre.
Couldn't agree more! What about Mary Ellen Mark, or Edouard Boubat? And some other great present day (both Dutch, I'm sorry) photographers: Anton Corbijn (B&W 35mm and MF), Rineke Dijkstra (4x5" colour). Not really 'environmental' of course are Mike Disfarmer and Richard Avedon, but if you can extract personality out of people like these photographers, you can do environmental portraits anywhere.

Ken Lee
30-Jul-2019, 15:57
Thanks for any suggestions.

You might try asking your subjects for a short list of their favorite locations within comfortable distance. For example gardeners may love their gardens, boaters their boats, etc.

People generally relax in their favorite places and photos made there will often feel more natural and have far greater meaning to the subject.

Robert Bowring
31-Jul-2019, 07:32
Irving Penn and Yousuf Karsh.

Bob Salomon
31-Jul-2019, 08:02

And Al Gilbert, Michael Gilbert, Leon Kennamer, Hugh Gentry and dozens more. Most either had private gardens or permission to use private greenhouses (Al Gilbert for one). Although most worked in color they could just as easily done B&W. It wasn’t the medium, it was the technique and their rapport with their subjects!

Pieter
31-Jul-2019, 09:53
Irving Penn???

Merg Ross
31-Jul-2019, 11:26
Imogen Cunningham

Ulophot
31-Jul-2019, 13:36
Thanks to all. I have lots to look up. Much appreciated.

Good suggestion, Ken. I do try to work with people where they are comfortable. Here in VA, the summer has beenmostly very hot and humid until well after sundown, which has contributed to my being temporarily limited to air-conditioned houses, wherein, many of my local friends having unusual circumstances and little money, the houses tend to be spartan with "Ikea furniture" hard to use for my intentions. I am focusing my thoughts on form and visual metaphor, both as inner eye retraining and exploration of possibilites I haven't necessarily used before. This is a continuing journey in new territory for me.

Bob Salomon
31-Jul-2019, 13:56
Thanks to all. I have lots to look up. Much appreciated.

Good suggestion, Ken. I do try to work with people where they are comfortable. Here in VA, the summer has beenmostly very hot and humid until well after sundown, which has contributed to my being temporarily limited to air-conditioned houses, wherein, many of my local friends having unusual circumstances and little money, the houses tend to be spartan with "Ikea furniture" hard to use for my intentions. I am focusing my thoughts on form and visual metaphor, both as inner eye retraining and exploration of possibilites I haven't necessarily used before. This is a continuing journey in new territory for me.

There is environmental portraiture and then there are candids. Since there doesn’t seem to be a differential here then you can’t leave out the father of candid photography, Eric Salomon. Nor can you leave out Eisenstadt.

Vaughn
31-Jul-2019, 14:33
Okay, Vaughn, I'll keep that in mind.

It also helps with the two-minute exposures! :cool:

Three Boys, Three Snags, 8x10 carbon print

pepeguitarra
31-Jul-2019, 14:53
Look at the paintings of Amadeo Modigliani and learn from him. He broke the canons of his time.

Dugan
31-Jul-2019, 18:58
Arnold Newman, Douglas Kirkland, August Sander are three that come to mind.

Peter Lewin
1-Aug-2019, 08:30
In our own forum, on the most recent page of "In Praise of 5x7" in the images thread, look at the posts from Don Dudenbostel, and the group portraits by Tin Can. Those are fine examples of environmental portraiture with a large format camera. For a published photographer, look at the work of Shelby Lee Adams, who has an extensive body of portraits he made in his home region of Appalachia using a 4x5 (I think one of the handheld Graphics).

Ulophot
1-Aug-2019, 09:06
Thanks for the Adams reference, Peter. Powerful work.

Peter De Smidt
1-Aug-2019, 09:15
Duck Duck Go, my preferred alternative to Google, "envirnomental portraiture photography"

Graham Patterson
1-Aug-2019, 10:03
The prints for https://thebeardedladyproject.com/portraits/ are currently on show at the Lawrence Hall of Science (UC Berkeley, California). Since a lot are done while performing field work, they are about as 'environmental' as one can get. I won't comment on the 'bearded' premise of the work.

Jim Galli
1-Aug-2019, 14:27
Three books that have made it to my house and definitely inspired me;

Blue Muse: Timothy Duffy's Southern Photographs

Revealing Character by Robb Kendrick

Harley Nation by Michael Pry

mike rosenlof
3-Aug-2019, 23:05
Martha casanave. Check out her book Trajectories: A Half Century of Portraits.

Mark Sampson
4-Aug-2019, 10:19
Also the work of Evelyn Hofer. Almost forgotten now, she did great work in the 1950s and 60s. See her books "London Perceived" and "Dublin: A Portrait".

johnmsanderson
7-Aug-2019, 13:42
Struth family portraits are kind of cool

Richard Wasserman
7-Aug-2019, 15:47
Les Krims "Making Chicken Soup", "The Deerslayers", "The Little People of America"

Not as serious and dour as August Sander, et al...

tomjohnson
7-Aug-2019, 18:39
Mary Ellen Mark. The best there was.

Sfroza
8-Aug-2019, 03:25
Mary Ellen Mark. The best there was.

True.

jnantz
8-Aug-2019, 05:55
I wouldn't study photographers at all; instead I'd look at painting and film.
Look at films by Kurosawa, the Coen Brothers, Brothers Quay, Renoir, David Lynch
and any paintings you can get your eyes on. If you just "study photographers"
you won't be going to "the source" ;)

Good Luck !
John

mdarnton
8-Aug-2019, 18:13
Cartier-Bresson made his living doing environmental portraits before they were a thing, and his are wonderful.

CantikFotos
9-Aug-2019, 15:44
You might want to check out the work of Kurt Edward Fishback. He was done some very important work.

https://fishbackphotography.com/#/gallery/portraits-of-artists/brett-weston/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Edward_Fishback

MusicalPhotog
9-Aug-2019, 15:58
Cartier-Bresson made his living doing environmental portraits before they were a thing, and his are wonderful.

Second this! He's always been one of my favorites.

Bob Salomon
9-Aug-2019, 17:13

If you really like him I have the first editions of the Decisive Moment and Moscow!

Ulophot
9-Aug-2019, 17:22
Thanks much for the Fishback links. Lots to learn form this man's eye and imagination.

johnmsanderson
11-Aug-2019, 08:41
What about Milton Rogovin (http://www.miltonrogovin.com/)?

Mark Sampson
11-Aug-2019, 11:04
It's a long list, isn't it? Plenty of inspiration, and radically different styles, to be found. Ullophot, best of luck... and share your results when you have some?

Ulophot
11-Aug-2019, 19:03
I will share results when I have something worth sharing. It's very much of a struggle on multiple levels right now. Lots to learn.

Collin Orthner
24-Jan-2022, 19:37
I have a few books done by Lawrence Chrismas (careful on the spelling) that have some excellent work done with mostly 8x10, but some medium format as well - portraits of Canadian miners. Well worth looking into. "Coaldust Grins", "Alberta Miners", and if you can get your hands on a copy of a catalog published by the Edmonton Art Gallery in 1983 "Canadian Coal Miners: Photographs by Lawrence Chrismas" isbn 088950038X, do it! Fabulous photography and beautifully printed.

Bill Poole
24-Jan-2022, 21:20
Judith Joy Ross. Aperture has a new book of her work--my copy arrived today. Gorgeous.

r.e.
24-Jan-2022, 21:32
Judith Joy Ross. Aperture has a new book of her work--my copy arrived today. Gorgeous.

The New Yorker published an article about her two weeks ago: Photo Booth: An Undersung Master Portrait Photographer (https://www.newyorker.com/culture/photo-booth/an-undersung-master-portrait-photographer)

LabRat
24-Jan-2022, 23:00
In those sorts of environments, maybe better to start shooting without research, evolve, and look later at other's work...

I'd take a personal journey first...

Steve K

drarmament
25-Jan-2022, 15:37
three key people to my early progression. Additionally, without one of them I wouldn't have the technical skills that have served me.

Opie: https://www.guggenheim.org/artwork/artist/catherine-opie
Sultan: http://www.larrysultan.com/work/
Soth: https://alecsoth.com/photography/

I had read a little bio of Catherina Opie and examine her images in one of my Art class. My university was located in San Francisco and I was attending to earn my Bachelor of Fine Arts. Till covid I went online which saved me driving to San Francisco ever week.

jnantz
26-Jan-2022, 05:46
In those sorts of environments, maybe better to start shooting without research, evolve, and look later at other's work...

I'd take a personal journey first...

Steve K

couldn't agree more!