One print shop I contacted has recommended against my first choice for
paper (Epson premium luster), saying it's relatively thin, so large
prints are more prone to damage, creases and scuffs. He recommended
going with a matte paper, like Epson enhanced matte or Ultrasmooth, or
a watercolor paper. I'm not a fan of textured papers or those with
flaking issues. What are your favorite paper in this format, especially
among the luster or semi-glossy papers?

Also, I have an option of getting the prints packaged in 3" tubes or
flat between foamcore. Any recommendations here?

Thanks

Ted Harris
8-Nov-2005, 11:09
I always ship large prints flat between foamcore. I put the prints inside a clear archival envelope first and then tape the envelope to one side of the foamcore.

As for paper I wouldn't use the Epson either. As to what paper you use, personal taste can influence the decesion a great deal. I prefer flat matte surfaces to luster. Regardless of the surface I would recommend paper from Red River, Hawk Mountain or Moab if your shop has those available. My preference is Red River Dourian.

Michael Gordon
8-Nov-2005, 13:24
Enhanced Matte is 10.3mil, Prem Luster is 10mil. I'd be wary of any other misguided comments this lab might make. And if you haven't yet tried any matte papers, I'd do some experimentation with 8x10's before I bit the bullet on 40x50's. That's like switching films the day you leave on an extended trip.

Although I can't find a spec sheet right now, Fuji Crystal Archive is scarcely thicker than Premium Luster, yet you won't get anyone talking you out of printing on that paper. Go with what you want and handle the prints carefully and by opposite corners. You shouldn't have problems if you exhibit care (which you should with any print that large).

Paul Butzi
8-Nov-2005, 15:43
Enhanced matte and Premium Luster are on bases that are about the same thickness and about the same stiffness.

However, in my experience with fairly extensive printing on both, it's about a million times easier to kink Premium Luster enough to leave a mark.

I had CONSTANT problems with people ordering prints on Premium Luster and kinking them after they took delivery. Any print larger than, say, 24x36 is nearly impossible to handle without kinking unless you're incredibly careful.

I think I've kinked/clamshell marked ONE really large Enhanced Matte print since I switched.

Bruce Watson
8-Nov-2005, 16:14
Paper choice is a tricky thing. I've found that I need to proof on the paper that the final print is going to be on. It's bad enough changing print sizes (big blocks of color or tone look can look different than small blocks of the same color or tone). Changing papers just adds more variables to the mix.

As to shipping in 3" tubes, you must be joking. I doubt anyone can roll any decent paper down to where they can get it into a 3" tube without damage. And a 40x50 inch print is a lot of paper to roll down. I use 6" mailing tubes without problems, and 6" tubes aren't hard to get.

Just based on the paper thing and the mailing tube thing, it doesn't sound as if your choosen vendor does this a lot. That's just something to consider.

Mark McCarvill
8-Nov-2005, 17:41
Good points, folks. That’s why I came here first.

I think I will try a 30x40 on EEM paper (which I like, although I do prefer glossy) and I'll either get 6” tubes or have them packaged between sheets of foam core.

One follow-up question – how wide is the mat on your larger prints – e.g. if image size is 30 x 40?

Mark

Steven Barall
8-Nov-2005, 18:21
My framer always tells me to use thick paper. If thicker paper is available why not use it. People put up with the thinness of Fuji Crystal Archive because they don't have a choice so using that as an example is not good. I guess that if you're going to laminate the prints or something like that you should ask the finisher for an opinion.

Good luck and enjoy.

Craig Wactor
8-Nov-2005, 22:31
To me, the coated papers look much better. All epson matte prints I see look flat.

I do not prefer large prints to be matted, personally. It looks funky to have a thin ragboard border around the print. Window mats only work well with smaller prints, on which the size of the border can be more substantial. Plus, adding all that makes the frame get much bigger, and more expensive. I think it looks better to print a dark border around the image. For my big prints, I use a pretty small black border. I don't frame them, though. I mount mine to metal or wood.

I saw some 40x50 prints tonight that had black 3" borders (added to the file - Lambda prints) and they looked fantastic. It was the Simeon Schwimberger show at Arizona State's West campus - wonderful images from vintage glass plates.