PDA

View Full Version : Broken glass

hoshisato
27-Jul-2019, 23:19
Hello,
The other day the back of my Cambo SC 2 4x5 Monorail camera dropped in the grass and the pane of glass that sits behind the ground glass broke. I can still use the camera so there in no emergency.
Not even sure what this insert is called, I'm looking to replace it but I'm not getting anywhere. Would it have been glare-free/anti-reflective/anti-newton glass?
Where to buy a replacement? I'm based in Europe.

Thanks,

Hans

B.S.Kumar
27-Jul-2019, 23:27
The glass part in the ground glass assembly can consist of a ground glass plus fresnel lens, or simply a cover glass on top of the ground glass. If it is a fresnel, it should have concentric grooves on one side.

Kumar

hoshisato
27-Jul-2019, 23:32
Thanks for your reply, it was not a Fresnel lens; just a 'normal' pane of glass. Sounds like the cover glass that you mentioned.

hoshisato
28-Jul-2019, 09:28
So, where to get a replacement?

BrianShaw
28-Jul-2019, 09:50
https://www.ebay.com/b/Ground-Glass-In-Film-Cameras/15230/bn_7022344227

BrianShaw
28-Jul-2019, 09:51
Measure the opening carefully and verify that the glass you buy will fit.

hoshisato
28-Jul-2019, 10:01
Thanks for following up, the ground glass is fine, it is the cover glass I'm looking for. It looks very much like a plain pane of glass cut to size.

BrianShaw
28-Jul-2019, 10:27
Ahhhh. Mine only has the ground glass. That way from the factory. I don’t believe there is a need for a protective glass....

Doremus Scudder
28-Jul-2019, 10:30
Just have a local glass shop cut a piece of the correct thickness to size and install it like the old piece was. Voilą, new cover glass. If you want to go high-end, use borosilicate glass.

Best,

Doremus

hoshisato
29-Jul-2019, 10:42
Just have a local glass shop cut a piece of the correct thickness to size and install it like the old piece was. Voilą, new cover glass. If you want to go high-end, use borosilicate glass.

Best,

Doremus

Thanks Doremus, that sounds like the best possible solution. Just plain glass, right?

B.S.Kumar
29-Jul-2019, 15:20
A photo frame from the dollar store comes with a nice thin piece of glass or clear acrylic, and would serve your purpose.

Kumar