PDA

View Full Version : J Lane Dry Plate ASA 2 Characteristic Curve - latest batch

Nodda Duma
25-Jul-2019, 19:51
I slightly reformulated the ASA 2 emulsion to eliminate base fog and increase the contrast just a bit. The result is a nice looking plate with punchy highlights (remember it's a negative) that would not be out of place in a photographer's studio in 1885.

Developed per box recommendation except development temperature was 22C.

Base fog is 0.09
Gamma about 1.05

Curve is below and also in the latest post of my website's blog.

I coated two plates for the measurements. The one used to generate the curve, and the other to take a sample shot

Metered at ASA 2 on a gray card next to Portrait Test Victim #3's head.

Pere Casals
26-Jul-2019, 01:11
Nice, this is at least a 7 or 8 stops latitude !

It would also be interesting to test medium sharpness by making a contact copy of a target, probably it will show it's a surprisingly sharp medium.

William Whitaker
26-Jul-2019, 01:33
Is this the emulsion that's shipping now? Or do we need to specify this somehow to get the new tweaked emulsion?

Tin Can
26-Jul-2019, 04:03
Progress, careful, soon you will be making film...

:)

Nodda Duma
26-Jul-2019, 04:39
Is this the emulsion that's shipping now? Or do we need to specify this somehow to get the new tweaked emulsion?

If you wanted to try the new formulation you can specify in an order and I’ll be happy to accommodate. They would be coated from the next batch though, which will of course be the same or very similar (repeatability is important to me but I except a minor difference when I scale up to a full production batch). This batch is already allocated for a backlog of stocking orders to Freestyle and to Schwarzweiss Fotolabor.

Even though my stock inventory is still mostly the previous batch or two, they will have a similar characteristic curve except a slightly higher base fog (like 0.11) and the top of the curve will be more like 2.. so just a bit less contrast.

Nodda Duma
26-Jul-2019, 04:44
Progress, careful, soon you will be making film...

I plan to throw caution to the wind. :)

It may not seem like it because I haven’t made it panchromatic, but my Ortho 25 emulsion is pretty close to original (32 speed) Panatomic X. Wouldn’t that be fun?

Tin Can
26-Jul-2019, 04:52
Yes, that would be great!

Dare the wind!

andrewch59
9-Aug-2019, 16:32
Jason I just watched your clip on adding sensitizing dye to your workflow, what does this do?? Excuse my ignorance but I am still going by the original gelatin/noodling recipe. So I am really interested in this new technique, I expect it may be a while b4 a reply. I dont mind, I know this is a very busy time for you. Congrats on the kickstarter, looks like its doing really well.

Nodda Duma
9-Aug-2019, 17:11
Hi Andrew,

Makes it orthochromatic. :)

Thanks for the kind words.. I'm cautiously optimistic on the kickstarter!

Tin Can
9-Aug-2019, 17:19
Update the KS link!

Hi Andrew,

Makes it orthochromatic. :)

Thanks for the kind words.. I'm cautiously optimistic on the kickstarter!

Nodda Duma
9-Aug-2019, 18:11
Update the KS link!

Done!