PDA

View Full Version : FYI, those getting Arista EDU 400 8x10, not Triple Boxed

ericantonio
21-Jul-2019, 08:08
Just opened a box I bought over the winter. Not a biggy but it has a nice thick plastic inside. These boxes are NOT triple boxes so don't expect it.
I'm going to take them out and put them in a Bergger 8x10 box that is triple boxed.
I've never had a problem with loose sheets in a triple box before. I used to walk around Manhattan in the old days with boxes of exposed film inside a triple box with no plastic.

peter schrager
21-Jul-2019, 08:35
Just open a box of foma 100 8x10 and just a nice thick bag...have never had a problem
If you have Kodak boxes save them like I do

Alan9940
21-Jul-2019, 09:17
Yep, as Peter already said Foma is the same. If I plan on putting loose sheets in a Foma box (rarely), I'll put the entire box into one of those thick plastic bags.

MartinP
21-Jul-2019, 10:46
Long ago, last century I worked at a Kodak Q-Lab (E6 and C41) covering a large part of the South of UK. Every few months (maybe three or four times a year) someone would come in with film that had been affected by stray light through triple boxes, without other protection. Admittedly, the 4x5" lines were running ten hours a day and six days a week back then in the 80's, so the percentage affected would be tiny, but boxes on their own are NOT lightproof. I've no definite idea of any common factors between all those instances, but I can guess at strong sunshine and such random events as a triple-box being upside down on a car passenger-seat, or left on a sunny desk before bringing it in to us. (Edit: also, now that I think back, one guy had problems twice with black-and-white because he put two of the boxes the same way round ie, functionally a double box with no bag. The same (infamous in the lab) person left 8x10" darkslides waving in the breeze and wondered why the light-trap let in some light. He was a teenage student though).

I haven't had problems with Foma double-box-plus-black-bag, or with (when I could still afford it) products using triple-box-plus-black-bag -- but that's because I'm a bit paranoid and transport the film boxes inside the black bag from a paper box, when necessary to go outside! It's probably mostly overkill, but . . .

Tin Can
21-Jul-2019, 10:46
Who is OE supplier of this years Atista 400 sheet?

Drew Wiley
21-Jul-2019, 15:01
A common problem with EU films. You can't even trust the corners of the 2-part clamshell to be light tight. Once the film is out of the inner wrap, you need to transfer it into someone else's 3-part box.

peter schrager
21-Jul-2019, 15:23
A common problem with EU films. You can't even trust the corners of the 2-part clamshell to be light tight. Once the film is out of the inner wrap, you need to transfer it into someone else's 3-part box.
nah just goes back in the freezer where it belongs!!
do you have light in your freezer?

Drew Wiley
21-Jul-2019, 15:35
No light in my freezer. But it's a big thing, outside the darkroom. Once in awhile my wife sneaks a second holiday turkey or rack of ribs into it.

koraks
21-Jul-2019, 23:43
Never had a problem with the foma film boxes & bags. Their paper bags are on the thin side though and prone to developing pinholes.

G Benaim
22-Jul-2019, 08:42
I always transfer the film to a triple box as those bags develop corner holes and then you're toast.