PDA

View Full Version : Cap for loupe

Ulophot
20-Jul-2019, 08:33
I just got a used Wista loupe to replace my lost one. It would be nice to have a cap to put on it when its in my bag. The diameter is 33mm. Any ideas where to look?

Thanks.

Bob Salomon
20-Jul-2019, 09:36
B&H or any other camera store for a Kaiser cap.

Ulophot
20-Jul-2019, 16:37
Eschewing the Kaiser cap price, I happened to pick up a gallon of distilled water in the usual store square jugs and noticed the cap size. Looked as if it might be close. Sure enough. After about 10 minutes of carefully cutting out the inner rim with a single-edge razor, I have a cap. It's a bit shallow but could be kept on with a rubber band in needed. Until something better comes along that cheap, it works for me.

Bob Salomon
20-Jul-2019, 17:04
Eschewing the Kaiser cap price, I happened to pick up a gallon of distilled water in the usual store square jugs and noticed the cap size. Looked as if it might be close. Sure enough. After about 10 minutes of carefully cutting out the inner rim with a single-edge razor, I have a cap. It's a bit shallow but could be kept on with a rubber band in needed. Until something better comes along that cheap, it works for me.

And doesn’t out gas and ruin the glass!

Greg
20-Jul-2019, 17:18
The bottom of my magnifier had an odd sized outer diameter measurement. I took a wide black plastic screw on cap that I had lying around and removed the plastic screw threads. Then I glued onto the inside of the cap a ring of velvet type material. Worked like a charm and way more durable that the usual OEM plastic cap with its shallow walls. Fortunately had a Schneider lens cap that fit onto the top of the magnifier. Lenses come with front and back caps. In my experience, magnifiers might come with bottom caps but very seldom come with top caps.

Bob Salomon
20-Jul-2019, 17:24
The bottom of my magnifier had an odd sized outer diameter measurement. I took a wide black plastic screw on cap that I had lying around and removed the plastic screw threads. Then I glued onto the inside of the cap a ring of velvet type material. Worked like a charm and way more durable that the usual OEM plastic cap with its shallow walls. Fortunately had a Schneider lens cap that fit onto the top of the magnifier. Lenses come with front and back caps. In my experience, magnifiers might come with bottom caps but very seldom come with top caps.

Have you bought a new Wista loupe?

Ulophot
20-Jul-2019, 20:25
Hi, Bob. If I understand you correctly, you mean that the distilled water cap will not outgas, but some of the plastic ones can. I{ have seen other posts on the subject of plastics out-gassing; it seems to be something of a complex subject. DO you have any layman's guide that might be useful?

Bob Salomon
21-Jul-2019, 05:16
Hi, Bob. If I understand you correctly, you mean that the distilled water cap will not outgas, but some of the plastic ones can. I{ have seen other posts on the subject of plastics out-gassing; it seems to be something of a complex subject. DO you have any layman's guide that might be useful?

Use caps specifically made for lenses and don’t worry about the problem. Using bottle caps could become a big problem.

Ulophot
21-Jul-2019, 06:36
Use caps specifically made for lenses and don’t worry about the problem. Using bottle caps could become a big problem.

Got it. Thank you.

esearing
22-Jul-2019, 04:52
There are some small Leather pouches on Etsy for about $15 or less if what you are seeking is protection inside your bag - you will likely lose the cap. Or go to a craft store and DIY with thin craft leather. Or even simpler - 1/2 kids sock or a baby's sock.

Ulophot
22-Jul-2019, 08:45
esearing, great suggestions. Thanks.

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2019, 10:49
There are some small Leather pouches on Etsy for about $15 or less if what you are seeking is protection inside your bag - you will likely lose the cap. Or go to a craft store and DIY with thin craft leather. Or even simpler - 1/2 kids sock or a baby's sock.

Or just buy one of the smaller microfiber pouches from Giottos

Fred L
22-Jul-2019, 14:37
or one of those swanky Crown Royal pouches.

Ulophot
23-Jul-2019, 08:03
Actually, I ordered some hard caps made for 42mm screw-in Pentax Takumars of olde, for about $5. If they don't work with a bit of felt lining, I have a small remnant piece of thick cotton fabric to make into a pouch. Not so royal, but I'm a republican (small r) myself anyway.

Ulophot
25-Jul-2019, 06:48
Well, the hard caps didn't work out; slightly too deep and the larger outer diameter was inconvenient. So, I took out a needle and thread and made a little double-thickness pouch from the soft tee-shirt-like fabric in about 15 minutes.

Anyone need a 42mm screw-on lens cap? I'll send one free to the lower 48 (states, that is).

Fred L
25-Jul-2019, 16:21
another option would be the plastic screw type cases that astronomers keep their eyepieces in. have to see what size my wife uses but pretty sure there'd be one for a long loupe. or get the correct sized Nalgene jar, line it with something soft and use that.