PDA

View Full Version : My new 5x7 camera

Charbel
14-Jul-2019, 23:06

So this is my Agfa Ansco 5X7 camera, which I am trying to put together.

I have 2 Petvzal Lenses and 1 Schnider 210mm - all of them without a lens board (which is 5.25"X5.25")
Initially, i got it to start in wetplate photography, but looking at it now, I guess it's in very good shape to ruin it and maybe I will build my own at some point.
My challenge here is the lack of raw material like chemicals so I will have to do it all from scratch.

I am looking for a 5X7 enlarger and reading about the BTZS (which I am struggling a bit with it to say the least)

Any support with any of the above is much appreciated :)

reddesert
15-Jul-2019, 20:28
I think the lensboards for the 5x7 Agfa-Ansco are similar to the 5.25" lensboards for the 5x7 wood Burke & James. They are not uncommon, and there are e-bay sellers who make them (don't know about international shipping). You could also make one yourself with two layers of plywood each about 1/8" thick. Get a few 5x7 film holders, some film and chemicals, a developing system of your choice (discuss in the developing section of the forum), a sheet of plexiglass, and make contact prints.

Vaughn
15-Jul-2019, 22:30
Excellent! Contacts from 5x7 negatives are pretty sweet! They'll keep you busy until you get set up with an enlarger. Fixer (Sodium thiosulfate) is a common chemical used to maintain swimming pools, if that helps.

Ron Stowell
16-Jul-2019, 12:44
This reply will cause a storm but here goes, rather then enlarge with an enlarger try scanning, used to do this when I was shooting 5x7.

Tin Can
16-Jul-2019, 12:56
No storm.

Do whatever you want.

My last two 5X7 were done 3 ways. Contact, enlarge and scan to print at Sam's Club.

The scanned prints go to people who will never know the difference. I give those away.

I can barely tell the difference, said my fading eyeballs...

This reply will cause a storm but here goes, rather then enlarge with an enlarger try scanning, used to do this when I was shooting 5x7.

Steven Tribe
16-Jul-2019, 13:25
I doubt the illustrated 2 Petzvals will cover even 4x5".

notorius
28-Oct-2019, 01:33
Hi folks, I am in search for 5x7 camera and the Ansco 5x7 is among cameras I am viewing on Ebay, maybe even the best candidate for winner (for my purposes). So hopefuly it is not thread stealing. :-)

The situation: I currently am using Meopta Magnola (Prewar Linhof Medizin knockoff made in Czechoslovakia in fifties).
http://ceskefotoaparaty-flexaret.cz/domains/ceskefotoaparaty-flexaret.cz/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/MG_0046.jpg
Those metal holders with sheet film inserts (different from Linhof) are driving me crazy. Real pain in the a**. There is high risk to get scratches, manipulation is horrible. It is the only thing that pushes me from more work with LF, other aspects of this camera do not bother me much. And I want to leave the camera intact, do not have the heart to adapt new back(economicaly it is nonsense too). So the new camera should be able to accept modern sheet film holders.
I definitely want 5x7 camera for my purposes - contact print is large enough and for blown up prints I have Durst 138S.
I have three lenses: 135 Dagor, 210 Belar (Tessar type) and 360 Tele-Xenar. Do not need shorter or longer focal lenghts.

I searched auction portals and found Ansco Agfa 5x7, Tachihara Hope 5x7 and Rittreck cameras.

Can you recommend these or suggest anything in price range of USD500 max without lenses? Holders can be purchased separately. I can not afford Deardorff or new Tachihara. And I do not want monorail. I shoot mainly landscapes, still life and portrait. https://flickr.com/photos/notorius1
Thank you and please apologize my English. :)

Steven Tribe
28-Oct-2019, 02:59
We do have a problem with references to on-going auction (ebay!) listings! So if this contribution is deleted, try a similar enquiry WITHOUT examples from current listing. It is obvious your intent is not commercial!!

Personally, if you are not interested in extreme movements, then I would suggest a vintage 13x18 tailboard camera - with wooden book type plate film holders - would solve your problem with scratches in film emulsions. The single holders you have now have very little clearance between the film and metal edges!

notorius
28-Oct-2019, 04:04
We do have a problem with references to on-going auction (ebay!) listings! So if this contribution is deleted, try a similar enquiry WITHOUT examples from current listing. It is obvious your intent is not commercial!!

Personally, if you are not interested in extreme movements, then I would suggest a vintage 13x18 tailboard camera - with wooden book type plate film holders - would solve your problem with scratches in film emulsions. The single holders you have now have very little clearance between the film and metal edges!

Thank you for quick reply, Steven.
Sorry for putting those references, I was not aware there is problem with this. Post has been edited by me.

I am not interested in extreme movements nor do I need to take pictures of architecture and 135 mm is wide enough for me.
By 13x18 tailboard camera do you mean "german type" camera? Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reisekamera#/media/File:Reisekamera_18x24.jpg
Is there possibilty to use modern plastic holders too?

Two23
28-Oct-2019, 07:16
I have a Gundlach Korona 5x7 plus 4x5 back. Beautiful camera, solid for my old lenses. Works great! A 5x7 is an odd size so they are affordable.

Kent in SD

Steven Tribe
28-Oct-2019, 13:01
Yes, but there are two versions of the 1890-1930 reisekameras. There is the square bellows type (the type you had a link too) bit there is a second type with a tapered bellows which swivels around the front standard to change from horizontal to vertical. These were originally sold with 3 double plate holders and can be made with mahogany, teak or European walnut.
The design for all sizes ( 9x12, 13x18, 18x24, 24x30 and 30x40cm ) is pretty much the same!

I have seen these cameras with converted modern backs. They are not a pretty sight!
The old holders work well enough.

notorius
6-Jan-2020, 05:08
Little bit later.. Thank you all for suggestions, I really apreciate it. Additionally I would like to thank to B.S.Kumar, who tried to help me get my new camera.
I finally acquired a 13x18 camera (two cameras resp., oops). I will share my thoughts and outputs and pictures later. So far I shot two negatives and am happy, that film sheet inserts which I already had, match wooden glass plate holders delivered with one of the cameras.