PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 glass plate holders

BillieBob
5-Nov-2005, 14:25
I'm interested in coating my own glass plates in 8x10. Does anyone know of a source of 8x10 plateholders other than eBay? I've seen a few 11x14 and 5x7 holders offered but no 8x10, although I'll continue to watch. Does anyone know of a current manufacturer here or in Europe?

I missed a chance at a German made early twentieth century 18x24cm plate camera. Somebody else wanted it a LOT more than I could afford to want it myself! Does anyone manufacture these any more, either in Europe or elsewhere?

I appreciate any info on the subject. Thanks!

John_4185
5-Nov-2005, 16:27
I have a lot of wood 8x10 holders. If you help me identify those that are plate holders, I am sure we can work something out.

For example, some have a small bent spring-steel piece near the middle of the 'film' area. I presume this would be a plate holder. No?

BillieBob
5-Nov-2005, 19:51
jj,

Sounds like it! I have never seen one in person, but judging from the photos and descriptions that I have, dry plate holders are two sided and open from a center hinge on the end opposite the darkslides. On each inside section is another hinged flap (door?) that opens to reveal the backside of its darkslide and a narrow (1/4"?) perimeter frame onto which the glass plate is placed. The flap is then closed. Once both sides are loaded, the whole thing is closed and a spring on the inside of one flap pushes both flaps against their respective glass plates to secure them firmly in place. The closed assembly is then locked with the spring steel piece that you mention. I have seen photos showing only one clip and those having a clip on each side.

Can anyone help me confirm this? I'm not familiar with wet plate holders, unless these are they. From what I can gather, wet plate holders are one-sided.

I'm mainly interested in dry plate.

Yes, I would love to get with you. Please email me directly.

I'm also looking for more info on coating formulas. I would like to coat a dry plate with an orthochromatic emulsion ISO 100 or so, if this is possible. Read any good books lately?

Thanks for the quick response.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
5-Nov-2005, 21:46
Wet-plate holders load from the rear. You don't have to worry too much however since wet-plate holders which fit into modern cameras, other than a few custom built ones, are non-existant.

Dry-plate holders--depending on the style--are both front and back loaders. The "book" style holders which you describe rarely fit modern cameras and I would be very cautious about purchasing any. Your best bet are the the wooden plate holders which were made by Graflex for Kodak. These come up on eBay quite often. I purchased a sealed box of three a few years ago for less than $50. Beware however of the "Sterling" holder, which don't fit modern cameras.

jnantz
6-Nov-2005, 08:47
BillieBob:

i bought a bunch of them in great condition from equinoxphotographic a while back.

Ole Tjugen
6-Nov-2005, 09:44
I've got a very nice 18x24cm plate holder with "modern" measurements, so that it can be used in any modern 8x10" camera. There must be more of them out there?

I also have an old German 18x24cm plate camera. Just like the one Sibir_Sergey has for sale on ebay...

There were also plate cameras in 18x24cm and other "metric" sizes (13x18, 24x30, 30x40) manufactured in the Former Soviet Union until very recently. Look for FKD cameras.

james mickelson
6-Nov-2005, 09:47
Go to photo.net and you'll find an alternative process forum in which I have talked with a couple of people who shoot with wet plate.

Hiro
6-Nov-2005, 17:20
Tachihara makes one as a special order item for around $430 apiece. It's single-sided and usable with both dry and wet paltes.

http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~tachi-ss/filmholder.html

If the price is right and you don't mind the wait until the order is filled, you may want to send an inquiry to them (FAX +91-03-3914-091).

John_4185
6-Nov-2005, 17:58
BillieBob: With luck I will get the digital camera to use tomorrow, and if I get home with some daylight left, I will shoot some snapshots of the wooden holders ... probably a picture of each type.

BillieBob
6-Nov-2005, 19:24
jj, please send me pics whenever you can. I'm definitely interested in seeing what you have. This is quite a good education even if it goes nowhere else. Sounds like we're looking for a single-sided holder, probably wooden. I'll be glad to work out something if you have one or more.

Thanks everyone! Please keep the info coming as you can...

Jim Chinn
7-Nov-2005, 04:10
Here is a thread on APUG that you maybe interested in. The author of the thread is a former engineer with Kodak.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20446

BillieBob
19-Nov-2005, 05:48
jj,

Received the plate holder. It is truly an object of beauty, well crafted and appreciated. Can't thank you enough!

I am now looking for coating formulas. I have Silver Gelatin by Reed and Jones. If anyone has used these formulas or others for in camera dry plates, please share your experience. Thanks!

Hollis
19-Jun-2007, 13:44
I have heard that you can adapt a modern 8x10 film holder for wet plate work so as to be used in cameras that have the standard spring back. Does anyone know how to, or has made one of these? Im also looking for photos of the conversion so as to make it easier to execute. Thanks.

Gene McCluney
19-Jun-2007, 14:09
Here you go. How to convert a modern film holder to wet plate use.

http://www.collodion.org/plateholderconversion.html

imagedowser
6-Apr-2010, 09:46
I came across this thread... from 2005. Billie Bob wanted info on DRY plate formulas and all he seemed to get back, mostly, was WET plate.... Now we have "The Light Farm" site which Is coming along wonderfully. BUT is there any reference books or other sources for Dry plate formulas? I wonder if photographers were as pi$$ed as some of us are now, when film raised its hand and said ..."try me, TRY ME"... Hopefully, someone must have written down their favorite concoctions and cleaning tricks to hold the emulsion to the glass, etc. I think this is worth the effort (and I don't think film is going away so fast) for ARTS benefit, CRAFTS benefit and ours as photographers. Looking for input. Thanks, Bill

AF-ULF
6-Apr-2010, 12:04
http://albumen.conservation-us.org/library/monographs/sunbeam/

A nice little source to get you started. First part is wet plate, last part is dry plate. From 1860s, so very early on the dry plate front.

DougD
7-Apr-2010, 09:32
Try looking at the Light Farm:

www.thelightfarm.com

Lots of info there by a photographer who has done a lot of experimentation.

D.