PDA

View Full Version : Is my film correct exposed ?

PatrickMarq
9-Jul-2019, 07:38
Hi all,

Yesterday I was on a trip 3 hours from home, and on my second location I have found out that I lost my loupe & meter. I tried to look for them but no luck.

I had stil 5 sheets with me, and the weather was perfect, so I have used the iPhone app Licht Meter, and die a gues with the sharpness.

So probobly the images won’t be perfect sharp, but what about the exposure if correct applied?
Kodak Ektar 100.
There was a lot of difference with my digital camera.

Andrew O'Neill
9-Jul-2019, 07:47
I use Sunny 16. I found it more reliable than a cell phone app. Couldn't tell you if you focused it enough, though. If your eyesight is decent, and you stopped down enough, then should be acceptable.

Sasquatchian
9-Jul-2019, 09:17
If you had a DSLR with you, you likely could have taken the lens off and used that as a loupe in a pinch. If you have an iPhone (can't speak for Android) there is a built in magnifier accessible when you swipe up from the bottom. Very very handy.

tuco
14-Jul-2019, 21:32
I was at an event one evening I forgot my light meter and my camera didn't have one. It was past using the Sunny 16 for me and I shoot using that rule frequently outdoors. So on the spot and in desperation I downloaded a light meter app on my phone. This app had an option for using the phone's camera to take a picture and you getting your exposure from that presumably with matrix metering too. I could zoom my FOV some as well. I went with what it said and had really good results.

Since then I started using it more and have compared to what I would select as the middle gray using my one-degree and to the Sunny 16 rule. It pretty much places the middle gray up a stop from the Sunny 16 consistently. A Sunny 11 Rule ,if you will, and a 1/2 to a full stop from what I would pick often. Knowing that it has been working out fine for me for general purpose photography when I don't want to carry my one-degree around. I have 3 one-degree spot meters and each reads different as much as 2/3 of a stop from one another.

Larry Gebhardt
15-Jul-2019, 02:18
The few phone based light meters I have used have all produced very good exposures. You should be fine.

Luis-F-S
15-Jul-2019, 14:21
To determine correct exposure, you first need to determine your film speed., so you want a Zone I density to be 0.1 to 0.15 above film base plus fog. Otherwise you're shooting in the dark. Good luck.

Drew Wiley
15-Jul-2019, 15:45
He was shooting color film, and specifically Ektar, which isn't very forgiving. Zone I density thus and thus has nothing to do with it. In this case, luck is going to be a prime factor.

Nodda Duma
16-Jul-2019, 05:57
The Pocket Light Meter app is accurate enough even for slide film (even less forgiving than Ektar). Been using it for years for sheets of Velvia, Provia, etc. You should be fine.

Luis-F-S
16-Jul-2019, 19:19
He was shooting color film, and specifically Ektar, which isn't very forgiving. Zone I density thus and thus has nothing to do with it. In this case, luck is going to be a prime factor.

You do it your way, I'll do it mine.