PDA

View Full Version : Recommended negative storage for 5x7, 8x10

Ken Lee
3-Nov-2005, 10:36
I recently bought some transparent 8x10 negative sleeves (for storing negatives in case I am using the wrong term here) at a local camera store. Although the sleeves fit nicely into a 3-ring binder, the negatives just barely fit, and it's a real annoyance to remove them or insert them - even a risk to scratching and damaging the film.

Any recommendations would be most appreciated... Thanks !

Jon Shiu
3-Nov-2005, 10:45
I just use the letter size Avery sheet protectors, which are polyprop. Likely has some slip chemical, so not totally archival, but I'm not concerned that the negs last forever.

jon

j.e.simmons
3-Nov-2005, 11:07
The Office Depot brand sheet protectors (8 1/2 x11) claim to be archival. Costs a little more than seven dollars for 100, so I use them for all of my sheet film sizes.
juan

jonathan smith
4-Nov-2005, 02:22
I love glassine sleeves, I get them at Calumet

David A. Goldfarb
4-Nov-2005, 06:02
I also like glassine sleeves, but keep them dry or you'll have a disaster, and I've read a recommendation from a conservator always to insert the negative with the base side toward the seam.

michael meyer
4-Nov-2005, 08:20
i'd rather get my negs in glassine wet than those in plastic. salvaging would be easier... however keeping everything dry in the first place is a good plan.

i keep all my negs in glassine envelopes stored vertically in flip top boxes. i get the glassine envelopes at adorama and my boxes either at the same place or at Talas. for most things archival or storage, Talas is a great resource, especially if you're in nyc.

www.talas-nyc.com

-m

tim atherton
4-Nov-2005, 08:41
Fold-lock type Mylar sleeve that you can just open up and put the neg into without having to slide it in. Find a museum and archives supply store online - the price is usually fair (some people aren't too keen on the slight seam - watch out for forcing two many sleeves together tightly).

Glassine can give you all sorts of grief - all the conservators I know would be getting them out of those as soon as possible. I also wouldn't trust any of the softer Avery or office depot type stuff - it often has additives to make the material "softer" and easier to handle which can can have a negative effect. And many in of the the Polypropylene types some manufacturers put on a surface coating to enable negatives to slip in and out more easily. But the coating is problematic from a longevity point of view

Most standard and probably safest are your archives standard basic cardboard sleeves - but we photographers like to be able to peer at our negs...

Joel Brown
4-Nov-2005, 11:38
I have been using the polypropylene interleaving folders along with Balanced Seam flap storage envelopes, all from Light Impressions. I then store them in Fine Art Supply's Hardwood box.