PDA

View Full Version : Perfecta-D Print Developer

Daniel Unkefer
26-Jun-2019, 06:01
I am out of Ilford Multigrade print developer, so while ordering some chems from FF (I like buying direct) I added a bottle of their Perfecta-D Print Developer. Made by Fine Art Photo supply. Suggested dilution is 1:9. Labels says it will obtain the maximum black of the paper and a full brilliant tonal scale.

Any opinions?

peter schrager
26-Jun-2019, 21:12
Try it and find out for yourself
Old fred picker saying...
Then you can tell us!!

Mark Sampson
26-Jun-2019, 21:22
Time for an 'A vs. B' comparison. Perfecta-D (Perfected?) against Ilford, or whatever you used before, or any other developer for that matter.
When I last tested paper developers, in the '90s, I found that neutral-tone VC enlarging papers didn't show much variation in performance with different developers.
No need to got into anecdotal details now, except to say that "Your results, of course, may vary". I will be interested to hear and see your results!

Merg Ross
26-Jun-2019, 21:50
I am out of Ilford Multigrade print developer, so while ordering some chems from FF (I like buying direct) I added a bottle of their Perfecta-D Print Developer. Made by Fine Art Photo supply. Suggested dilution is 1:9. Labels says it will obtain the maximum black of the paper and a full brilliant tonal scale.

Any opinions?

You may be in for a pleasant surprise. This is a Phenidone /Hydroquinone developer. Many years ago, a chemist friend of mine formulated a P/H developer that I have used for the last 25 years with Ilford Multigrade papers. Of course, the developer you reference is proprietary, and I can not vouch for what may be your results. There is a trick to mixing the stock solution, but it has a good shelf life. I like it as well as the Ansco 130 for my work.

I will be curious to hear your opinion of the results.