PDA

View Full Version : photography school

Jeff Liao
17-Dec-1999, 17:01
hi, i am Art school student in New York. my professor just told me that i amn't going to learn anything from school any m ore. therefore, i want to change school. does anyone has any suggestion about photograper training school or commerical p hotography school? i will really like to learn Advertising photography....

thanks

Adam D. DeKraker
19-Dec-1999, 20:06
Jeff,

An interesting question. For commercial work you may want to try Brooks, RISD ( Rhode Island School of Design), Columbia College (downtown Chicago), or RIT (Rodchester Institute of Technology). All four of th ese schools are renouned for their commercial programs. I'm a little concerned about the comment your professor made......... there is always something more to learn, even if you end up doing it on your own without his/her guidence. You still have access to the facilities, correct? As long as you have a darkroom and a lighting studio, you're all set. You also might want to try getting a job as an assistant to any local commercial photographer (just make sure you get paid for it!!!!) This is a great way to learn about the field , and provides valuable experience for the future. Good luck.

Rene Z. Quan
21-Dec-1999, 05:02
Since you're in NYC, please check out the International Center of Photography, www.icp.org.

Leonard Metcalf
24-Dec-1999, 08:49
Dear Jeff,

Why does your professor think you won't learn anything from the school? You should consider all possible options.

I found that it wasn't necesarly the art school that I needed to choose, but it was the photography teacher that made all the difference in my development as a photographer and artist.

Finding the right mentor is crutial to one's growth.

Regards Leonard