PDA

View Full Version : Dartmoor National Park, UK

CreationBear
12-Jun-2019, 10:06
I'm starting to plan a trip to the UK this September, where my wife will be speaking at an academic conference in Plymouth. When London's the venue, my usual MO is to hie out for Wales or Scotland at the first opportunity, but with Plymouth tucked away down South, my initial thought was to fetch up in the National Park with my light 4x5 kit for as long as possible.

Any thought about how to best explore the moors? Since there doesn't seem to a loop system like there is in Wales (e.g. Glyndwr's Way, etc.), the pub-to-pub thing seems out--would establishing Okehampton or Two Bridges as "home base" make sense?

Otherwise, I'm fairly eclectic in my interests--though "relic forests" like Black-a-Tor Copse or Wistman's Wood are always a draw for me. Any thoughts on the NP--or Plymouth and environs--will be greatly appreciated.:)

Steven Tribe
13-Jun-2019, 13:02
Beware of the famous hound and escapees from the equally famous institution for the criminally insane!

Seriously though, Exmoor is more compact, varied and lush.

Devon and Cornwall are basically no-go areas (traffic and accomodation) in July and August, but will be recovering from the start of September.

CreationBear
13-Jun-2019, 17:42
Seriously though, Exmoor is more compact, varied and lush.

Wonderful, thanks! I will start reading up on Exmoor--on the map at least it seems a reasonable distance from Plymouth. (By American standards, at least--driving my home state of Tennessee end-to-end is about like driving from Plymouth to Aberdeen...:))

mpirie
14-Jun-2019, 01:18
By American standards, at least--driving my home state of Tennessee end-to-end is about like driving from Plymouth to Aberdeen...:)
Yeah, but with better roads :)

Mike

CreationBear
14-Jun-2019, 09:26
A dinnae ken, we have our share of rough tracks (but fewer flocks of sheep to negotiate.) "Bear jams" during tourist season are a major pain, though.

tonyowen
15-Jun-2019, 02:05
Many decades ago I was in the Dartmoor, Bodmin Moor, Exmoor area. I left the road to walked a short distance to photograph. The mist came down and my imagination over worked, so that I found myself running back to the car!!!!! Even without the Hound and occupant of Dartmoor prison is can be a scary place!!

BUT have fun.

regards
Tony

GoodOldNorm
15-Jun-2019, 02:05
You may want to contact B&W Niel here http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12248

mpirie
15-Jun-2019, 03:13
The mist came down and my imagination over worked, so that I found myself running back to the car!!!!! Even without the Hound and occupant of Dartmoor prison is can be a scary place!!
You've been watching too many Sherlock Holmes movies :)

Mike

tonyowen
15-Jun-2019, 03:34
You've been watching too many Sherlock Holmes movies :)Mike

Books perhaps - this was before Sherlock Holmes movies
Regards

Tony

CreationBear
15-Jun-2019, 03:41
Norm-- Thanks for the link! I'll definitely sift through it for leads.

Tony-- Ha, great story...I spend a great deal of time in the "Smoky" Mountains here in the States, so I know how it is when weather rolls in...a good reminder to make sure my compass makes the trip!:)

Steven Tribe
15-Jun-2019, 13:47
Checking my facts, it appears that Dartmoor prison was not used for the insane, just ordinary offenders!
It may have special interest for visitors from across the Atlantic, as after being built to house Napoleonic prisoners it was full of captured Americans from the short war of 1812!

CreationBear
15-Jun-2019, 19:08
full of captured Americans from the short war of 1812!

Of course, given the conditions of the "prison hulks" of the day it was probably regarded as a cozy billet--during the late unpleasantness of 1775-1783, 70% of Continental POWs kept aboard prison ships died.

At any rate, I'm definitely looking to exploring that part of the world...:)

Martin Aislabie
27-Jun-2019, 07:53
IMHO, I would choose to stay on Dartmoor - either at Two Bridges or Princetown.

You can spend quite a lot of time just getting from A to B on Dartmoor - so staying nearer to the action is always better.

You won't be short of subject material - the Tors are just amazing but hard to photograph well.

Martin

CreationBear
27-Jun-2019, 08:15
IMHO, I would choose to stay on Dartmoor

Much obliged!:) I had about reached the same conclusion, though I've been focused on Ivybridge since it has train service from Plymouth (and a quick yomp up the Two Moors Way would get me to Piles Copse fairly easily.) Of course, Two Bridges has pretty good access to Wistman's Wood as well--I'll have to explore Princetown in a bit more detail.

At any rate, it looks like beautiful country--though I certainly understand how the tors might make for challenging subject matter...from the looks of things, I might have to break down and buy a ND grad filter or two before tackling that expanse of sky.