PDA

View Full Version : Schneider 58mm XL

MattKHardy
9-Jun-2019, 04:15
Hi,

Finally took the plunge and purchased a Schneider 58mm XL for some landscape photography.

Now comes the task of learning how to get the best out of it... How much sharpness should I expect from this lens?

Picture of the back garden (Ilford Delta 100, f22, 3-stop grad to darken the sky):

100% crop of ball:

Scanned with a Epson V700.

Corran
9-Jun-2019, 12:52
Now comes the task of learning how to get the best out of it... How much sharpness should I expect from this lens?

Plenty. It is a modern lens after all. But any misalignment of your camera will give you problems. Make sure to stop down to f/22 if you want the best results and if you want to have less fall-off, get the proper center filter.

MattKHardy
9-Jun-2019, 22:37
Plenty. It is a modern lens after all. But any misalignment of your camera will give you problems. Make sure to stop down to f/22 if you want the best results and if you want to have less fall-off, get the proper center filter.

Hi Corran,

Many thanks for your help. I waited for better light (evening/overcast and a polariser to remove shine) and tried again. The results were a lot better. Also removed some of the fall-off in post.

Ilford Delta 100, f11, 1s, 2-stop hard grad, polariser, fall-off correction in post: