PDA

View Full Version : cost expectations for 8x10 restoration

Ethan
6-Jun-2019, 13:44
I'm trying to get into 8x10, as I've mentioned in other threads. I recently acquired an 8x10 enlarger for free, which was nice, though it needs some work. However, the enlarger isn't very useful until I have negatives to enlarge, so finding a camera is the next step. I'm looking for one that needs work to become usable, as I am a student on a tight budget, and a working one goes way above what I can afford. I've talked to Catlabs, as I don't live too far from them, and they have a few cameras that might work, but I don't know what old 8x10s are worth, so I have no idea if they are good deals or not. What should I expect to pay for an 8x10 that needs restoring? I'm looking for one that has all/most of the metal parts intact, but I have a wood shop where I can make replacement wooden pieces, so those being damaged is ok.

Also, do any of you guys have suggestions for other places I should check out for old "project" 8x10 cameras?

(I know asking for valuations is not allowed, but I don't think this falls under that, if the moderators disagree I'm happy to delete it)

Tin Can
6-Jun-2019, 13:47
The best place to find any LF camera is right on this forum.

30 days from joining you will have access to the FS and better the WTB sections.

Post your desire on Wanted to Buy before you buy...

Anything!

Ethan
6-Jun-2019, 13:49
cool, I'll wait around then I guess:)

Tin Can
6-Jun-2019, 13:51
And tell your story as many here want to help beginners of any age.

cool, I'll wait around then I guess:)

Oren Grad
6-Jun-2019, 13:54
(I know asking for valuations is not allowed, but I don't think this falls under that, if the moderators disagree I'm happy to delete it)

Make it "what's the most affordable way for a student on a budget to try 8x10, and what are the risks and specific things to watch out for if you start with a 'beater' camera?" and you've got an excellent topic for discussion.

Good luck!

Peter De Smidt
6-Jun-2019, 15:28
Bellows is the big one, as they can be a bit expensive to replace, often requiring $200 or more. Otherwise, any broken/warped pieces can be an issue. What's best really depends on your use (studio, landscapes, portraits, hiking, architecture....) and total budget for a working camera. A brand new Intrepid 8x10MKII is about $700. A Kodak D2 in excellent condition is about the same. Some cameras have expensive lens boards, like a Kodak Master View 8x10. Others are easy to buy used, or to make.

Greg
6-Jun-2019, 15:57
Have restored quite a few 8x10 cameras ranging from a "generic" no name wooden one to a Sinar Norma. I have found that a Burke & James (B&J) wooden Commercial View Camera to be the easiest to restore. Think that I have restored 3 over the years. If you do not need front movements, then a Burke & James Rembrandt View Camera (camera does have rear movements). Have restored 2 of them over the years for use with ultra wide angle lenses that barely covered the format. If you strip the gray paint (easy to do), you will find gorgeous solid (hard?)wood that looks great when stained. I've never passed up on acquiring a wooden B&J view camera if the price was right. Parts are very interchangeable. FYI, the first thing to do is to either remove or replace the top handle... trust me on that one.

Ethan
6-Jun-2019, 16:18
Bellows is the big one, as they can be a bit expensive to replace, often requiring $200 or more. Otherwise, any broken/warped pieces can be an issue. What's best really depends on your use (studio, landscapes, portraits, hiking, architecture....) and total budget for a working camera. A brand new Intrepid 8x10MKII is about $700. A Kodak D2 in excellent condition is about the same. Some cameras have expensive lens boards, like a Kodak Master View 8x10. Others are easy to buy used, or to make.

Bellows are expensive, but I've found some tutorials, and I think making them wouldn't be too hard. The most difficult thing from what I've heard is finding a good fabric that blocks light, but I think I've found a source for something that should work.

Peter De Smidt
6-Jun-2019, 16:22
Making good ones isn't that easy, either. Doable, yes. What fabric are you considering?

Ethan
6-Jun-2019, 16:34
I'm not sure if it was on this forum that I saw it mentioned, or a different one, but it is cloth that is designed to protect light sensitive equipment when using lasers for scientific purposes. It's the Blackout Fabric model number BK5 from this website: https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=190&pn=BK5

Its 0.12mm thick, which should be thin enough, and pretty cheap too at only $10 per square yard

Greg
6-Jun-2019, 16:56
RE: The cost of bellows.
In the past have found it a lot easier to acquire, for usually little money, an 8x10 bellows that had some pinholes in it. Fixing the pinholes is easy, I'm sure plenty of threads on that topic in this FORUM. Adapting the bellows to another camera is a dozen times easier that making a bellows from scratch. The art of bellows making/construction has to be a fading art unfortunately.

peter schrager
6-Jun-2019, 19:21
RE: The cost of bellows.
In the past have found it a lot easier to acquire, for usually little money, an 8x10 bellows that had some pinholes in it. Fixing the pinholes is easy, I'm sure plenty of threads on that topic in this FORUM. Adapting the bellows to another camera is a dozen times easier that making a bellows from scratch. The art of bellows making/construction has to be a fading art unfortunately.
Especially when camera bellows in england make a fine product..I challenge anyone show me their homemade made and do a comparison

Peter De Smidt
6-Jun-2019, 19:39
Especially when camera bellows in england make a fine product..I challenge anyone show me their homemade made and do a comparison

+1.

Bernice Loui
6-Jun-2019, 20:20
Prime cost of 8x10 is film, then time and resources required to make images on 8x10 film. About $5 USD per sheet, or about $130 per box of 25 sheets for B&W, trying to save $ on fixing a bellows is, "Penny wise, Pound Foolish". If the bellows with holes that has been repaired springs a light leak causing unexpected exposure of an entire day's of 8x10 film and effort, what are the actual cost involved?

In the case of a vintage 8x10 camera, great if properly restored and in fine working condition. Otherwise, get a 8x10 camera and outfit that is known and proven in good condition with no problems if one is interested in making images. If this is a tinkering endeavor, then taking on a restoration, then making the camera and outfit good again is great in many ways.

IMO, not wise to penny pinch for a bellows which is fundamental view camera operation item.

Be aware of the cost and resources involved with any view camera endeavor. These days, cost of the hardware is much lesser than what it once was, cost of film and related resources might not be low.

Bernice

robbiemcclaran
7-Jun-2019, 08:41
Prime cost of 8x10 is film, then time and resources required to make images on 8x10 film. About $5 USD per sheet, or about $130 per box of 25 sheets for B&W, trying to save $ on fixing a bellows is, "Penny wise, Pound Foolish". If the bellows with holes that has been repaired springs a light leak causing unexpected exposure of an entire day's of 8x10 film and effort, what are the actual cost involved?

In the case of a vintage 8x10 camera, great if properly restored and in fine working condition. Otherwise, get a 8x10 camera and outfit that is known and proven in good condition with no problems if one is interested in making images. If this is a tinkering endeavor, then taking on a restoration, then making the camera and outfit good again is great in many ways.

IMO, not wise to penny pinch for a bellows which is fundamental view camera operation item.

Be aware of the cost and resources involved with any view camera endeavor. These days, cost of the hardware is much lesser than what it once was, cost of film and related resources might not be low.

Bernice

Excellent advice, and something I'm debating myself. Fix the old or buy new. $5 a sheet adds up but a lost image is priceless.

Ethan
7-Jun-2019, 17:21

I'm sure they're great, but how much do they cost?

Mark Crabtree
7-Jun-2019, 17:56
I'm sure they're great, but how much do they cost?

I don't know the answer to that, but will chip in with a different take. Over the years I've had about a dozen Deardorffs and at least a dozen Cirkut Cameras, plus assorted Eastman 2D's, Anscos, and ROC's and probably others. I tend to buy users, not pristine cameras, but I've only ever replaced two bellows and one of those I should have kept. I have done various touch up to corners, and even tape, but just prefer the originals if at all usable. Some bellows are better than others, but those pretty brick red leather bellows on old Eastman products can be beautiful, supple things. Many US Agfa/Ansco's tend to be stiff and either shrink, or were not long enough to begin with, so that can be an issue.

I also only ever refinished two and regretted both instances (not that they didn't come out fine). Usually what I find that really does need to be dealt with is missing and loose screws, or other small parts, and misassembled bits. Plus the occasional lousy ground glass. If you can find a complete camera with a usable bellows you can usually just go over things, clean it up, and go. It is well worth getting something with all it significant parts, including any extension rails or sliding blocks (2D, etc).It's just a dark chamber. I'd want a camera to be pretty darned cheap if it needs a bellows. The in between ones that are almost okay can be money pits, but fun for someone who wants a project. Just my preference, but there is more than one way to do things. I'll PM later with a couple things I spotted recently that might be of interest to you.