PDA

View Full Version : Tripod - Check Luggage?

dodphotography
5-Jun-2019, 18:55
I have a RRS TVC 33 tripod... love it, however, I’ve never flown with it. I don’t see being able to store it inside a carry on bag, it’s just too big. Risk storing it (sans head) in my checked bag? Headed to France. First time LF overseas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrFujicaman
5-Jun-2019, 19:05
Okay,...figure out what diameter PVC sewer pipe will hold it. If 4" will work, buy a length of it and a glue on end cap and a rubber "Fernco" cap that's held in place with a hose clamp. You have a tripod case. PVC comes in sizes to 14"

dodphotography
5-Jun-2019, 19:06
Okay,...figure out what diameter PVC sewer pipe will hold it. If 4" will work, buy a length of it and a glue on end cap and a rubber "Fernco" cap that's held in place with a hose clamp. You have a tripod case. PVC comes in sizes to 14"

That’s killer! So you’d check that?

Gary Beasley
5-Jun-2019, 19:42
Ive carried smaller tripods in checked baggage with the head rotated down to fit the bag, never had a problem.

jp
5-Jun-2019, 19:43
Only time I've sent a tripod in checked baggage, it didn't make a connecting flight and it arrived at my destination about the time I'd returned home. If you can send it ahead and travel light I think that's ideal.

dodphotography
5-Jun-2019, 19:44
Only time I've sent a tripod in checked baggage, it didn't make a connecting flight and it arrived at my destination about the time I'd returned home. If you can send it ahead and travel light I think that's ideal.

Luckily it’s direct (Boston to Paris)

Peter De Smidt
5-Jun-2019, 20:16
While I like the idea of the protection PVC would provide, wouldn't that be a bit suspicious? I've packed my Gitzo 1227 in my checked luggage many times.

Chester McCheeserton
5-Jun-2019, 21:27
If you unscrew the rubber feet and remove the head and round plate from the top how long is it?

My gitzo T3530S tripod is 23.5 inches and I've carried it on at least 20 times without issue, using an old cheap bogen tripod bag, (which I just looked up and apparently is no longer made)192116

HMG
6-Jun-2019, 10:32
PVC pipe comes in a solid or cellular wall versions. The cellular wall version is much lighter. If constructing a tripod case, I would use the rubber end caps (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-4-in-Plastic-DWV-Flexible-Cap-PQC-104/100372305) for plumbing. But, based on a quick look at online photos, I question whether a 4" pipe would do it, so you'd have to go bigger.

Personally, I'd wrap the tripod really well in bubble wrap and put in a duffel bag.

Vaughn
6-Jun-2019, 10:55
About two weeks ago my unprotected Gitzo Studex (in a duffel bag) got bumped and dented one of the legs. I'll drill out the dent to make it useful again.

Mark Sampson
6-Jun-2019, 11:17
A padded tripod bag is a useful thing if you do any kind of traveling, not just by air. Its price and the added baggage charges will be a small part of your trip's cost. I've taken a tripod US-Europe more than once; in fact I wrap the tripod with clothing inside the bag, and it can serve as a second suitcase. Have a great trip!

Leszek Vogt
6-Jun-2019, 12:19
My attitude is to make sure insurance is active and I usually wrap the tripod in clothes, towel, etc. till insulated well, and place it in my duffel bag. Reg suitcase could be too short. This works for me every time whether traveling to Hawaii or AK, etc.

Les

archphotofisher
6-Jun-2019, 16:24
i say build yourself a tube case, i traveled with my tripod for many years in a soft case along with my lighting stands, then the day came when i was in Livingston, Montana to photograph the Buffalo Bill Museum.
Unzip the case, grab the tripod by the leg and out the leg comes all by itself, Broken at the head. So I headed down to the local camera store see if rentals or any new were avaialble. ZERO
Found a local metal shop and the owner stares at the tripod then says they try something, come back in a few hours. When I showed up the tripod was laying on a table of repaired tractor parts, the owner yells across the shop, put 5 dollars on the desk and the tripod is yours. 192145

Drew Wiley
6-Jun-2019, 16:36
I have checked in big Ries wooden tripods in sling carry bags; but find that unnecessary with 4x5 kits in which a multi-sectional CF tripod will easily compact down enough for a regulation carry-on. But something I have seen professional films crews do is put their expensive tripods and light stands at the head of the airline, near the entry, just like bags of expensive golf clubs which their owner's don't want checked in to tempt anyone in baggage handling. Most airlines allow this if you ask in advance. I personally wouldn't place anything of real value into checked baggage. We've had repeated incidents of theft and damage of even minor things, plus a few incidents of baggage loss. Carry on as much as they'll allow you. But I too have adapted sections of PVC drainage pipe to conceal and protect large tripods during road travel at least. Not many thieves seem interested in plumbing leftovers.

Bob Salomon
6-Jun-2019, 17:16
I have checked in big Ries wooden tripods in sling carry bags; but find that unnecessary with 4x5 kits in which a multi-sectional CF tripod will easily compact down enough for a regulation carry-on. But something I have seen professional films crews do is put their expensive tripods and light stands at the head of the airline, near the entry, just like bags of expensive golf clubs which their owner's don't want checked in to tempt anyone in baggage handling. Most airlines allow this if you ask in advance. I personally wouldn't place anything of real value into checked baggage. We've had repeated incidents of theft and damage of even minor things, plus a few incidents of baggage loss. Carry on as much as they'll allow you. But I too have adapted sections of PVC drainage pipe to conceal and protect large tripods during road travel at least. Not many thieves seem interested in plumbing leftovers.

When I was with Rollei of America I was going to a convention with a very complete SL66 outfit. I was flying out of JFK but NY Airways had a special where if you booked their helicopter service at the same time as your ticket the helicopter from Morristown Airport, where parking was $1.00 a day, was free. In addition you could drive right up to the helicopter to check your bags all the way for your round trip, and then park your car.
For some reason on that trip I packed all of the camera stuff in my suitcase and packed film in the Rollei aluminum case.
When I arrived at my destination the Rollei case was not there and they could not trace it, even though it had a baggage tag.
It never was found during that trip or for the following few weeks.
Finally I was notified that while my trip was to Las Vegas the Rollei case was found in Buffalo, NY and I could pick it up the next day.
When I picked it up NY Airways told me it was found with a cabin carry on tag on it instead of my checked baggage tag.
But all the film was gone!

HMG
6-Jun-2019, 17:44
... put their expensive tripods and light stands at the head of the airline, near the entry, just like bags of expensive golf clubs which their owner's don't want checked in to tempt anyone in baggage handling.

Actually, one of those hard cases for golf clubs might make a good case.

Daniel Stone
6-Jun-2019, 19:52
I have made a number of ABS or PVC tripod "tube" cases, with a section of closed cell foam inside, to help mitigate bumps.

If you are not the DIY type, you can always go with an adjustable pre-built version:
http://www.casedesigncorp.com/hard-cases/stock-cases/photography-cases/p508-adjustable-tripod-case/

-Dan

Drew Wiley
7-Jun-2019, 12:54
Les - what good is insurance if you lose your opportunity to photograph? Will they pay your flight and opportunity to do it again? Yeah, it might be a good idea in terms of potential equipment loss, but hardly a good alternative for preventing it from happening in the first place. We generally fly out of Oakland to Hawaii because it's way more convenient and efficient than SF; but suitcase pilferage is common. Sometimes they simply steal a bag or two of macadamias or Kona coffee from the return flight, assuming that won't be noticed, but the mere fact they've opened the suitcase up is bad enough. I'd never put anything of real value or importance in a check-in. Apparently, a number of airports have a serious problem with pilferage. Then when all that stuff comes out at the turnstile, there's absolutely no protection from anyone picking it up if you don't spot and grab it first. Sometimes a conveyor gets delayed, or things get diverted to a different pick-up spot, and anyone could walk off with them before you even knew about it. And I don't think putting a live rattlesnake in a bag or duffle would be allowed.

Peter De Smidt
7-Jun-2019, 14:09
My only worry with the pvc solution would be it being mistaken for something that would lead to increase security scrutiny, but I have no way of knowing if that's a legitimate concern. I've just wrapped mine with clothes, a towel....and put it in checked luggage. I've also carried it on as a personal item. I'm a bit surprised that it was allowed.

Drew Wiley
7-Jun-2019, 14:41
I've never had a TSA issue with a checked-in tripod. I did have a very brief delay returning from Maui last month with a new agent, who had never seen a big (6X9) rangefinder before, so momentarily handled it to make sure it was a real camera, and swabbed my fingers too. But he ignored the tripod, light meter, film itself, etc. The X-Ray of the carry-on bag made it perfectly evident already that those tripod tubes were hollow, with nothing in them.

MrFujicaman
8-Jun-2019, 09:45
The other thing I've done before I got my current tripod case was to buy a tripod bag from B&H and use a heavy cardboard "Sonotube" for making concrete pillars as a liner. You can break a Sonotube, but it'd take a lot of work.

Pat Kearns
8-Jun-2019, 19:48
I have a Feisol 3301 tripod that collapses to 24" without a head. I travel with it in my checked luggage wrapped in clothes and have never had an issue. If you are flying international you should be allowed 2 checked bags maximum weight of 50 lbs. each but check the airline baggage policy.

MrFujicaman
16-Jun-2019, 15:08
Okay, if you're using a larger tripod (Bogen 3040 or "Chicago" Majestic) this works quite well. This is a surplus container from Desert Storm as near as I can tell. It was meant for some type of water filter element. I bought the first one for $35 and then picked this one up for $10 at a flea market. It's very tough...I weight 220 and jumped up and down on it, and it doesn't even flex!

It will hold the 2 larger tripods above-if you remove the handles and store them in a bag inside. I've bolted a luggage handle from Ebay on the first one I bought and I've flown with it several times. The baggage handlers have yet to be able to tear it up!192485