PDA

View Full Version : Using 4x5 lens on 6X9 camera

Terry Hull
31-Oct-2005, 07:42
I recently purchased a 4x5 with lens that I tried using on my 6x9 camera. As long as the lens board fits and the camera focuses, nothing else can be wrong with using on a 6x9, and in fact if so it may have more application on 6x9 if the image circle is larger than the lens of a similar focal length that is designed for 6x9?

David A. Goldfarb
31-Oct-2005, 07:59
No problem at all using a 4x5" lens on a 6x9 camera, as long as it works.

With lenses that have lots of excess coverage for the format, you may want to be more careful about bellows flare, which can reduce overall contrast and produce light edges on prints and transparencies. To avoid this, be sure to use an adequate lens shade.

Dan Fromm
31-Oct-2005, 10:15
Interesting response, David.

I've shot a variety of lenses that cover4x5 and larger formats on my little 2x3 Graphics, have yet to encounter light edges on transparencies or other manifestations of "bellows flare." However, you and many other people have warned about it. Why haven't I seen it yet? And if it is a problem, how can a lens shade help control it? Surely what's wanted is a field stop behind the lens.

Cheers,

Dan

David A. Goldfarb
31-Oct-2005, 10:22
A field stop behind the lens or a compendium shade to restrict the image circle. Even a hard shade is better than no shade, if it's long enough to vignette the image circle at least partially.

Have you compared results with no shade to results with a compendium shade that restricts the image circle to the minimum necessary? The results can vary depending on a variety of factors, such as what is in the scene and the bellows design, so in some images bellows flare might be more obvious than in others, but I've made those tests, and I've seen the difference.

Terry Hull
31-Oct-2005, 13:00
Thanks. For your responses. I am using my 49mm olympus filters, and a 28 mm lens shade, but haven't developed the film yet. If it doesn't work I will go back to the clip on lens shade that came from Ebony.

David- If I recall correctly you are from NYC? I am looking for new places to photograph in NYC, commercial landscapes, natural landscapes, etc. Any ideas? Is Coney Island a candidate?
Do I need to get a license to avoid the tripod police?

Dan Fromm
1-Nov-2005, 05:00
David, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

RJ Hicks
1-Nov-2005, 05:33
Should I also be doing something about bellows flare with my new fuji 450 c on my 4x5. This lens has a huge image circle and just recently started shooting with it, just wondering what I can do about it without a compendium shade. I use round rubber shades currently. Thanks for the help.

David A. Goldfarb
1-Nov-2005, 06:36
If you can't afford or conveniently set up a compendium shade, one option is to use a multi-position rubber shade. There are a couple of them available. Also on eBay look for a seller named "heavystar." They sell cheap Chinese-made metal shades in wide, normal, and tele lengths and a variety of sizes that are pretty decent.

Terry, there's great stuff to photograph all over the city. Wander around, make expeditions, scout with a small camera, and you'll find it. My best NYC shots are close to where I live or have lived, just because I know those places. I often don't bother with the permit, but there are some spots where you will be hassled (Battery Park area, any place where there's a lot of pedestrian traffic in midtown, for instance), so it would be wise to get one for photography in those areas. Most places in Brooklyn, with the possible exception of Fulton's Landing where lots of people like to photograph the Brooklyn Bridge, you'll be fine. Here's the info on getting a tripod permit--

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/permits/still_prcedure.shtml

Terry Hull
1-Nov-2005, 07:26
David/others. Thanks for your responses