PDA

View Full Version : Replace Deardorff bellows or sell as is?

robbiemcclaran
3-Jun-2019, 08:52
I recently purchased a Deardorff V8, early fifties vintage, off of another forum. When I received it I was pretty happy overall. The camera is in pretty decent shape for it's age. Metal parts have a significant patina from being over polished, wood is solid and in good shape, probably refinished. The leather strap is missing. But it's generally solid and all movements operate properly. The seller described the bellows as "Newer and light tight".

Unfortunately this did not prove to be accurate. Upon testing, the bellows proves to be riddled with pinholes, sags when is extended and is likely the original bellows. Yes, it could probably be used as is, by draping the dark cloth, but honestly I have had film ruined by bad bellows in the past and won't go that route again. After doing a good bit of reading I have an idea of the cost of replacing it. Not interested in cheapo DIY fixes and this is not a job I would do, as I have no experience doing it and fear I would screw it up, so I would send it for the replacement. So with shipping, etc, I'm probably looking at $500 or thereabouts.

I paid $1650 for the camera, and if it the bellows was as described and did not need replacing, I would be happy with that deal. But I probably would have been reluctant to pay upwards of $2200 for it.

I wrote to the seller who says he tested it and did not find a problem. And in his own defense it took me several weeks to get around to testing it myself, as I have been quite busy with work and other obligations. So he is reluctant to issue any kind of full or partial refund. It is a buyer beware world indeed.

This camera was to be an upgrade from my trusty Eastman 2D, I've used for twenty years. Have been watching ads on ebay and elsewhere for sometime, hoping to stumble onto a "deal" and this one seemed to fit my budget. The cosmetic issues don't bother me as I am a user and not beholden to shiny bits. I've never owned a Deardorff and would be happy to own and use one. But I'm not a member of the cult and I'd be equally happy with something else that was fully functional and light tight. (Anyone have a nice Philips or Canham they'd like to offload for cheap?)

So I'm soliciting your expert opinions. Is it worth the additional $500 or more to replace or should I cut my losses and sell the camera and look for a better option?

Luis-F-S
3-Jun-2019, 09:05
Get a new bellows from Custom Bellows and you'll have a camera for life!

diversey
3-Jun-2019, 11:11
Replace the bellows and then use it or sell it. It is very easy to replace a pre-made bellows by yourself.

Jim Jones
3-Jun-2019, 11:27
Anyone considering a new bellows might try scrubbing artists' black liquid acrylic paint thoroughly into the inside of the extended bellows with a used soft toothbrush. The paint should be scrubbed into the leather or fabric of the bellows, not piled up on the surface. Let it dry completely before compressing the bellows. It it works, you're back in business. If not, you're only out a few dollars worth of paint.

Pere Casals
3-Jun-2019, 11:36
I'd go staright:

Inspect well the bellows with a torch in the darkness and glue opaque fabric where you have a pin or a weak area, in 30min you may have the bellows in perfect shape. The you may purchase new bellows without any hurry.

robbiemcclaran
3-Jun-2019, 12:53
Replace the bellows and then use it or sell it. It is very easy to replace a pre-made bellows by yourself.

Would you happen to have detailed instructions and / or a video of the procedure? I'm fairly handy, but reluctant to take on a task if any of my mistake could prove as costly as failed install.

robbiemcclaran
3-Jun-2019, 12:55
I'd go staright:

Inspect well the bellows with a torch in the darkness and glue opaque fabric where you have a pin or a weak area, in 30min you may have the bellows in perfect shape. The you may purchase new bellows without any hurry.

I would try this if it only had a few pinholes, but as I stated in my original post, I'm not interested in band aid fixes for this bellows. It has far too many to patch. So I want it done correctly. Or not at all.

Jim Noel
3-Jun-2019, 12:59
Get a new bellows from Custom Bellows and you'll have a camera for life!

I agree with Luis, don't buy others, Custom is the only maker which can duplicate the original.

Jim Noel
3-Jun-2019, 13:02
Remove the front and rear bellows frames, they are wood and held in with 2 screws on each side. Send them to CUstom Bellows and let them attach the new bellows.. Normally I would send the original bellows,but you don't have it so I would not send what you have. It is glued to the frames.

pepeguitarra
3-Jun-2019, 13:03
An 8x10 bellows with wooden frames for this camera may cost $200 from the Hong Kong based dealers on the auction site. You send the old one and you get a new one very well done.

robbiemcclaran
3-Jun-2019, 14:32
Remove the front and rear bellows frames, they are wood and held in with 2 screws on each side. Send them to CUstom Bellows and let them attach the new bellows.. Normally I would send the original bellows,but you don't have it so I would not send what you have. It is glued to the frames.

I see on the rear standard 3 screws on each side that would appear to hold the frame in place. I don't see any such screws on the front standard.

robbiemcclaran
3-Jun-2019, 14:36
Unrelated to the bellows, I've also noticed a fair bit of play in the rear standard, meaning it is not super rigid when locked down. Having never used one of these cameras I don't have a point of reference, so don't know how rigid it should be, but I would prefer it be more solidly locked. Any thoughts on this? Is there a fix?

Jim Noel
3-Jun-2019, 15:26
An 8x10 bellows with wooden frames for this camera may cost $200 from the Hong Kong based dealers on the auction site. You send the old one and you get a new one very well done.

The problem is quality, and the ability to make a bellows like the original which folded in on itself so it could be full length, but very compact when folded. Stay away from these copycat bellows,go with the best bellows maker in the world. No, I have no interest in the company, but know of how good their work haws been for me.

Duolab123
3-Jun-2019, 15:40
If you are going to use the camera, and it's otherwise satisfactory, take the screws out leave the (original? ) bellows attached to the frames and get in queue at Custom Bellows UK.

If there are other things about the camera that bug you, take this as a learning experience and get rid of the camera.

I've made some dumb purchases in my life, rather than fretting about it, find a buyer that will take it.

When I see, polished metalwork and refinished, it would make me look close. You don't want any more surprises .

Catlabs sells Japanese made bellows that have been received well. It's a ready to go solution. I think the Custom Bellows UK route is very reasonable in price and has a stellar reputation.

Pete Roody
3-Jun-2019, 16:00
Unrelated to the bellows, I've also noticed a fair bit of play in the rear standard, meaning it is not super rigid when locked down. Having never used one of these cameras I don't have a point of reference, so don't know how rigid it should be, but I would prefer it be more solidly locked. Any thoughts on this? Is there a fix?

This is a common problem with Deardorff's. The 'play' results from wear of the geared focusing tracks. An easy fix can be done if you are changing the bellows. After the bellows are out, unscrew the tracks and flip them and replace them on opposite sides. Usually they are only worn at the rear, not the front. Flipping them should tighten the rear standard. I learned this trick from 'Lens & Repro' and did it for my own camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luis-F-S
3-Jun-2019, 17:34

Yes, the "Fix" is to use the camera and don't worry about it!