PDA

View Full Version : Deep recessed board for Toyo 45A

rpagliari
2-Jun-2019, 16:22
I own a 17mm recessed board for 110mmx110m but cannot find anything deeper anywhere on the internet. Does anybody sell or makes them (either in US or Europe)?

Dan Fromm
2-Jun-2019, 16:28
If you have the money, honey, skgrimes has the time.

Kiwi7475
2-Jun-2019, 16:33
I haven’t seen more than 17mm. Even then it gets pretty deep and it starts becoming difficult to get your fingers in there to open the shutter and change the aperture.

rpagliari
2-Jun-2019, 16:38
I haven’t seen more than 17mm. Even then it gets pretty deep and it starts becoming difficult to get your fingers in there to open the shutter and change the aperture.

Yes, that might be the case. But I'm getting limited movements with my 75mm lens. I'm also dreaming of using wider lenses.

Kiwi7475
2-Jun-2019, 16:50
Yes, that might be the case. But I'm getting limited movements with my 75mm lens. I'm also dreaming of using wider lenses.

Are you using bag bellows?

Dan Fromm
2-Jun-2019, 17:11
OP, you're pushing a field camera to do more than it was made for. If you're determined to shoot 6x17, why not get a proper 5x7 view camera that can accept 6x17 roll holders?

rpagliari
2-Jun-2019, 17:35
Are you using bag bellows?

No, I would have to send it to a shop for replacement. Does a 30mm recessed board work for Toyo?

Hmuessig
3-Jun-2019, 10:55
I've been using a 45A since the 80's and love it. But I have to agree with others that the OP may be wanting to push the camera further than it easily goes. If I need lots of movement I use a Sinar F2. I have also seen folks put third-party hybrid bellows on a 45A that have a bag/balloon portion just behind the lens.

I can use my 47XL on the 45A but without much movement. It is on the 12.5mm recessed board and I can with some work get to the edges of the lens' coverage. Same is true for my other wide lenses but I cringe when I have to force the bellows too much.

The biggest issue for me is that the recessed lens boards make it difficult/impossible to operate the shutters. I'd think a (custom) 30mm board would be very difficult to use.
My 47XL is on a 12.5mm board 'cause the deeper board made it impossible to operate the shutter even without the center filter attached.
My 65 f4.5 Grandagon and 75 f6.8 Grandagon work just fine on the deeper board with the center filters mounted.
My Nikon 90 f8 is on a 12.5 board 'cause the front element is way to large to allow easy access to the shutter if the lens is on the deeper board.
My 110XL is on a flat board (the shutter is too big for a recessed board) and there is no way the 45A has enough bellows movement to get to the edge of that lens' circle!

Toyo officially made two recessed boards: a 24.8mm recessed board (#1640 according to my catalogue c1995) and a 12.5mm recessed board (#12040). The deeper board is only available AFAIK secondhand. There are also nice third-party recessed boards on eBay -- my 90 is one one.

neil poulsen
4-Jun-2019, 06:31
If you have the money, honey, skgrimes has the time.

They take honey? I'll have to look into that.

Dan Fromm
4-Jun-2019, 07:03
Cash is accepted, also credit cards. I don't think they accept edibles or flattery.

Jeff Keller
4-Jun-2019, 09:18
There is a ~30mm recessed board which is slightly smaller than the Toyo 45A/Canham boards. I don't know what camera it was intended for. The square recessed area looks like it would just clear the light baffles on the Toyo 45A/Canham boards. With quite a bit of cutting it looks like it might be possible to attach it to a modified Toyo 45A/Canham board.

I don't know if it would clear the inside of the front standard.