PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid Originals (was Impossible Project) 8x10 film ?

Fred L
29-May-2019, 14:24
So I've been on an email notification for availability of Polaroid Originals 8x10, b/w film and just got a notice that it's been discontinued. Sent an email to PO for clarification. I know it was super spendy film but it was unique. The colour film is in stock but no b/w afaics.

mods-If this is not the right sub forum, please move to the appropriate section, thanks

Moderator's note: this is the right place, thanks.

freddy

Fred L
29-May-2019, 19:08
so Polaroid Originals emailed back and said the film is NOT discontinued. Have asked for further, detailed clarification. Maybe vendor meant they were discontinuing sale of the film ?

Oren Grad
29-May-2019, 20:05
Need to be careful about concluding that a product has been discontinued by the manufacturer just because a retailer says it has been discontinued. Taking B&H as an example that many here are familiar with, there have been a number of episodes over the years where B&H listed a product as "discontinued" but it turned out that it was the stock number that had been discontinued and the product reappeared later under a different number, or stock was temporarily unavailable and later became available again. Check with the manufacturer if at all possible before posting a "product discontinued" message - it's all too easy for a false rumor to get started and cause a lot of grief before it's finally sorted out.

Sanford
30-May-2019, 07:00
I made an inquiry several weeks ago as I had an opportunity to get a processor and holder for next to nothing. I was told that at a minimum it would be next April before they had any more 8x10 film in stock

Bob Salomon
30-May-2019, 07:59
Need to be careful about concluding that a product has been discontinued by the manufacturer just because a retailer says it has been discontinued. Taking B&H as an example that many here are familiar with, there have been a number of episodes over the years where B&H listed a product as "discontinued" but it turned out that it was the stock number that had been discontinued and the product reappeared later under a different number, or stock was temporarily unavailable and later became available again. Check with the manufacturer if at all possible before posting a "product discontinued" message - it's all too easy for a false rumor to get started and cause a lot of grief before it's finally sorted out.

Or a store discontinued selling a particular product or product line while it was still being manufactured.

Fred L
30-May-2019, 11:12
and to tie off the bow, Polaroid has replied that b/w 8x10 is still in production. Will send an email to the store asking for clarification on their end of things.

But yeah, discontinuation of products is always a tricky thing to deal with re:the internet and forums as things can get blown out of proportion and take on a life of its own. Not my intention here :)

Oren Grad
30-May-2019, 12:08
PO's production schedule for anything other than the square-format integral films has been pretty erratic... difficult to plan around, and difficult to know for sure what the status is at any given time. :(

Fred L
30-May-2019, 21:46
PO's production schedule for anything other than the square-format integral films has been pretty erratic... difficult to plan around, and difficult to know for sure what the status is at any given time. :(

yup, pretty niche market and not for the faint of heart. $20 mistakes gets tiring very quickly.