PDA

View Full Version : Basic B&W Developing setup for 4x5

6x6TLL
24-May-2019, 22:40
I'm wondering what the easiest way to get some 4x5 B&W developing done would be.

I have a Jobo ATL1500 - in storage, and multiple 25xx series tanks and reels, here at home.

Could I use the tanks and reels and do manual processing, simply capping the tank for inversion every minute or so? It would need a lot of developer to cover everything.

I could also go get the Jobo out of storage, but it's pretty far away. Hoping to avoid that.

I've also seen the BTZS tubes, $75 for a set of three, is this system any good? Is there any point when I already have Jobo tanks? I guess BTZS uses (much) less chemicals per tank.

There's also the Kickstarter backed SP-445 system, which is comparable in price to the BTZS tube set.

I'm developing APX100 and Tri-X in Rodinal, in case it matters.

Thanks!

Pere Casals
25-May-2019, 00:07
To start, I'd use tray development, in any 4x5 tupperware like container, you can fix with lights open.

You may place the trays inside paper safe or other light tight box to have a daylight processing.

David Schaller
25-May-2019, 06:01
You can use the Jobo tanks and reels for inversion processing, it just takes a lot of chemistry. But that’s how I process 4x5 often, with Pyrocat HD.

Tin Can
25-May-2019, 07:37
One Ziplock Bag works anywhere...

howardpan
25-May-2019, 08:17
BTZS works well and allows you to tailor your development for each sheet. If you use Jobo, you basically surrender one of the key benefits of large format photography. When you think about it, processing for maximum throughput or maximum chemistry efficiency may not be your first priority.

6x6TLL
25-May-2019, 08:35
To be clearer, I don't have a darkroom, nor a room in the house that can be made dark (skylights everywhere, unfortunately). I have a changing bag, that's about it for portable darkness.

One of my Jobo tanks is the smallest size, fits only one reel, that might be an option and would allow me to develop one or two sheets at a time for individual development. I may just test that out a few times to see how it fares.

I'm intrigued by the ziplock bag suggestion, how exactly does that work?

Any comments or comparisons between the BTZS and SP-445 systems in the event I decide to buy something specifically for the task?

howardpan
25-May-2019, 08:51
I don't think you can use the BTZS tube with just a changing bag. There are a few videos on YouTube that will show you how it works. You need to open the tube to pour in the developer. You will end up working only at night, on the floor and under the kitchen sink (figuratively) at this rate. Jobo has a specific 4x5 sheet film reel. Other than the SP445, there is also the Mod 45 Patterson tank insert and the BW-King development tank.

rdeloe
25-May-2019, 09:10
I do not have a darkroom. I develop four sheets at a time in the Stearman SP-445. I load it in a standard change bag and process in full light. The system is economical and works very well. If you choose to go this route, read the instructions carefully and watch the videos Tim has made available. In particular, watch the video about squeezing the container before sealing to prevent leaks.

Tin Can
25-May-2019, 09:22
Very simple. Put one sheet of film in, add chems, zip it shut. Agitate. You can even wash right in it.

I was having problems with scratching double sided X-Ray and SergeiR suggested I try Zip Locks.

No scratches!

To be clearer, I don't have a darkroom, nor a room in the house that can be made dark (skylights everywhere, unfortunately). I have a changing bag, that's about it for portable darkness.

One of my Jobo tanks is the smallest size, fits only one reel, that might be an option and would allow me to develop one or two sheets at a time for individual development. I may just test that out a few times to see how it fares.

I'm intrigued by the ziplock bag suggestion, how exactly does that work?

Any comments or comparisons between the BTZS and SP-445 systems in the event I decide to buy something specifically for the task?

Corran
25-May-2019, 10:04
BTZS tubes is how I started and I still use them depending on my needs. Very efficient, excellent consistency using constant agitation in a sink, and pretty cheap. I personally started with a half-bath that I more-or-less light-proofed with a towel at the base of the door, but I can't see why a bag/tent wouldn't work as long as you are careful not to knock over the caps with the chemicals in it. You fill the caps first and have them ready to attach the main tube to, once the film is loaded into it in the dark / bag. Definitely would probably opt for a tent for more room and less risk to knocking things over if I had to.

For more throughput I use HP Combiplan tanks. I develop up to 12 sheets at a time, back-to-back in the 6-sheet holder for max efficiency (just takes extra fix/wash time to get the back of the sheets cleared).

Bernice Loui
25-May-2019, 10:24
Suggest using your Jobo tanks with a roller base as the ATL1500 is not currently available. This way you'll get some experience loading and using these Jobo tanks for sheet film. At some future date when the ATL1500 is available and properly set up the transition would be easier with what was learned transferable.

Having used the Jobo 25xx series with 4x5 reels in the past, they work good. Can be tricky to load even with the 4x5 loader.

Alternatives range from tray, tubes, and 4x5 stainless steel tanks like the Nikkor which will do 12 sheets at a load.

Bernice

Tracy Storer
25-May-2019, 12:10
I used to use the 2500 series tanks with 2509n? reels, and instead of a roller base, I filled a large tupperware tub with water and floated the tank horizontally for rotary processing. I simply used my hands to spin the floating tank. I was easy and worked very well.

I'm wondering what the easiest way to get some 4x5 B&W developing done would be.

I have a Jobo ATL1500 - in storage, and multiple 25xx series tanks and reels, here at home.

Could I use the tanks and reels and do manual processing, simply capping the tank for inversion every minute or so? It would need a lot of developer to cover everything.

I could also go get the Jobo out of storage, but it's pretty far away. Hoping to avoid that.

I've also seen the BTZS tubes, $75 for a set of three, is this system any good? Is there any point when I already have Jobo tanks? I guess BTZS uses (much) less chemicals per tank.

There's also the Kickstarter backed SP-445 system, which is comparable in price to the BTZS tube set.

Thanks!

LabRat
25-May-2019, 13:18
Well, if you don't have some dark real estate, you will have to develop in a tank of some sort...Some of the other methods mentioned can work, but the next wet step is getting solutions onto dry films, then changing them after an interval while still in the dark..

Steve K

MartinP
25-May-2019, 14:45
One doesn't strictly need a wheeled or motorised device for rotation with Jobo tanks, in order to save chemicals and improve agitation. Tape a couple of bits of wood section to the table top, parallel and reasonably level, longer than one tank circumference -- these will allow rolling on the parallel sides of the tank by lifting the orange band(s) off the table. Roll the tank backwards and forwards along that, picking it up and giving it a random extra distance of rotation every now and then. In the most desperate scenario you can roll the thing along the edge of a tabletop, if it's failry level front to back. Of course these options provide zero temperature control, so the suggestion above (post 12) about spinning the tank in a water-bath, like some pseudo-BTZS tube, would help with temperature problems for E6 or C41.

Bob Salomon
25-May-2019, 15:28
BTZS tubes is how I started and I still use them depending on my needs. Very efficient, excellent consistency using constant agitation in a sink, and pretty cheap. I personally started with a half-bath that I more-or-less light-proofed with a towel at the base of the door, but I can't see why a bag/tent wouldn't work as long as you are careful not to knock over the caps with the chemicals in it. You fill the caps first and have them ready to attach the main tube to, once the film is loaded into it in the dark / bag. Definitely would probably opt for a tent for more room and less risk to knocking things over if I had to.

For more throughput I use HP Combiplan tanks. I develop up to 12 sheets at a time, back-to-back in the 6-sheet holder for max efficiency (just takes extra fix/wash time to get the back of the sheets cleared).

Putting a piece of plastic window screen between the backs of the two sheets should eliminate the extra wet time which will also minimize grain. This is how processing was taught at UofMontana.

Bob Salomon
25-May-2019, 15:30
To start, I'd use tray development, in any 4x5 tupperware like container, you can fix with lights open.

You may place the trays inside paper safe or other light tight box to have a daylight processing.

You can turn lights on after the film is immersed in the fixer!

A daylight processor like the CombiPlan T allows you to fill and empty chemistry in full room light. A paper safe can not do this so it is not a daylight capable processor.
Also, many paper safes can have the light tight drawer hold up slightly when closed and this would cause fogging!

Tin Can
25-May-2019, 15:31
That's a good tip Bob!

Putting a piece of plastic window screen between the backs of the two sheets should eliminate the extra wet time which will also minimize grain. This is how processing was taught at UofMontana.

Bob Salomon
25-May-2019, 15:36

Thanks!

The CombiPlan T would be easiest. And it can take 12 sheets when processing B&W back to back. The last model was the HP CombiPlan t, earlier ones were labeled Gepe, Linhof or Krause, who was the inventor.

Two23
25-May-2019, 17:45
I've been using the SP-445 and really love it. It's simple to use & load, very compact, and does a great job. I load mine in an interior bathroom at night but once did it in the back of my car using a dark bag. I made a simple internal frame out of PVC tube so the bag would have some shape and give me unobstructed room to work. I then processed the film outdoor in daylight. At home I just process using my kitchen counter & sink once it's loaded. You can do from 1 to 4 sheets at a time. I can't imagine anything easier than the SP-445. I could easily backpack with the little tank and a dark bag and process 4x5 dry plates at remote waterfalls etc. if I needed to.

Kent in SD

Pere Casals
26-May-2019, 01:14
Very simple. Put one sheet of film in, add chems, zip it shut. Agitate. You can even wash right in it.

I was having problems with scratching double sided X-Ray and SergeiR suggested I try Zip Locks.

No scratches!

Also there are chep light tight Ziplock bags...

This would also be a perfect daylight tank for travelling :)

Another choice would be using a photopaper black T bag to place a regular ziplock inside... for daylight convenience...