PDA

View Full Version : B&W Film Recommendations for Architecture

rpagliari
22-May-2019, 13:43
I do mostly architecture and just started with film on 4x5. I was recommended tmax 100 for its fine grain, but I would like to have opinions about other films as well. In particular, I'd be interested to know your thoughts about Ilford film for architecture/long exposure.

Thank you,

koraks
22-May-2019, 14:10
You can't go wrong with tmax 100 in this application, in my opinion. But delta 100 would be quite close and certainly a good alternative.

Of course, depending on the result you're after in terms of tonal scale, grain and enlargements, many other options can be equally viable as well. It quite quickly becomes a matter of taste/preference.

Peter Lewin
22-May-2019, 14:50
You could page through the “Architecture” thread in the “Image Sharing (LF)” sub-forum, many of the posts include the film used. You can see if any look different to you, or what the photographers whose images you admire used.

Mark Sampson
22-May-2019, 16:28
Any normal film will do if you're shooting exteriors. You can adjust tonality through exposure/development/printing, obviously. TMX100 should do very well.
If you plan to light interiors, a faster film will work better.
When I shot architecture commercially on 4x5, TXP320 was the b/w film of choice, but of course that was a backup to the color images which were the client's main requirement.

rpagliari
22-May-2019, 17:12
Any drawbacks in using FP4+?

Mark Sampson
22-May-2019, 21:59
None. My favorite film (and I worked as a photographer for Kodak for twenty years.)

agregov
22-May-2019, 22:25
Hélène Binet shoots with FP4, works with many of the top architects in the world. Processes her own film as well in a Jobo: http://helenebinet.com/photography.html

You might experiment with Rollei IR at some point as well. I shoot most of my architecture with it these days. Note, in sheet film it does have a very thin film base. You have to be careful loading film holders. I like a 092 deep red filter for this film. Even a yellow filter offers a different look from other B&W films.