PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 for road trip

steve barry
20-May-2019, 20:18
Looking for suggestions for a fast setting up 4x5 to work from car with on the road. Need 90 and wider, front rise/fall mostly, easy maxwell screen swap or bright from the start, and fast setup. Bulk and weight won't matter. I've made a box to keep monorail setup and ready to go in in the past and it worked good... But will be flying before road trip and not an option this time. I've used sinar monorails, speed/crowns, cambo wides in the past and have sorta ruled them out looking for other suggestions thanks.

DolphinDan
20-May-2019, 20:59
Hi Steve,

You might look at the Toyo Metal Field Camera:

reviewed by QT Luong @ https://www.largeformatphotography.info/toyo0.html

recently offered for sale on this forum by BS Kumar @ https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?151798-FS-Toyo-Original-Field-Camera-with-4x5-5x7-and-Whole-Plate-Backs&highlight=toyo+metal+field+camera

I have 3 of these cameras and can mount a Schneider SUPER-ANGULON XL 58mm f5.6 Lens without a recessed lensboard. Kind of like a Crown Graphic but with a reversible back. Quick to set up.

Namaste,
Daniel

Vaughn
20-May-2019, 21:52
Non-folding view cameras have interested me in this respect (fast set-up). This is a nice one: http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/cameras/45h1

My present 5x7, an old Eastman View No.2, is a fine example of a non-folding camera, but with limited movements.

Eric Leppanen
20-May-2019, 22:44
Non-folding Ebony cameras such as the RSW45, SW45, or 45s are good candidates for a fast setup, easy-to-pack camera if you don't need a lot of extension; the first two would allow more movement with wide angle lenses. Shen-hao also has a 4x5 non-folder.

The Chamonix 45H-1 specs look awfully good. I have never used one but there are a number of threads here about it. Be sure to review this thread (it describes the similar 45Hs-1) for more detail on the handling and focusing characteristics:

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?135458-Chamonix-Hs-1-Review

steve barry
21-May-2019, 06:18
thanks everyone, looking at them.

That Ebony RSW45 seems pretty great, but finding one may be a problem :)

The 45H-1 looks promising too.

CreationBear
21-May-2019, 10:41
How about a Walker Titan XL? Since we're spending your money and not our own, you might even get the 5x7 with the reducing back.:)

steve barry
21-May-2019, 11:47
How about a Walker Titan XL? Since we're spending your money and not our own, you might even get the 5x7 with the reducing back.:)

For some reason in my head I thought these cost more? I like the 57 with 45 back idea, but I dont see the back's priced on the website. Guess I will email them.

Drew Bedo
22-May-2019, 05:09
Back in the day. . .when we had no money: The quickest set up I have ever traveled with was a Speed Graphic. I brought it because that is what I had, but the set up was a snap.
\
The lens stayed mounted and was safely stored when the camera boedy was closed, saving fumble-time in fishing itr out and mounting ti.

I had only the one lens; a 135 in a dial-set compur shutter, but these cameras will mount and work with a 90mm (but not anything shorter I think).

With all that said, and if your resources/budget will allow . . .and weight is not an issue, I would suggest one of the Technika models. Moer sophisticated, modern desigh, able to leap rtall buildings etc.

The set up will be about the same as my old Speed Graphic and you can keep a lens mounted to it for that fleeting opportunity in changing light.

steve barry
22-May-2019, 06:01
Back in the day. . .when we had no money: The quickest set up I have ever traveled with was a Speed Graphic. I brought it because that is what I had, but the set up was a snap.
\
The lens stayed mounted and was safely stored when the camera boedy was closed, saving fumble-time in fishing itr out and mounting ti.

I had only the one lens; a 135 in a dial-set compur shutter, but these cameras will mount and work with a 90mm (but not anything shorter I think).

With all that said, and if your resources/budget will allow . . .and weight is not an issue, I would suggest one of the Technika models. Moer sophisticated, modern desigh, able to leap rtall buildings etc.

The set up will be about the same as my old Speed Graphic and you can keep a lens mounted to it for that fleeting opportunity in changing light.

Hey Drew, I have a super nice crown graphic that I enjoy using, but the screen is super dim and despite lots of reading couldn't figure out how to swap out the screen with a maxwell. If I could swap out that screen I would probably just use it. Lots of threads about it, here and apug, but nothing definitive I could find. I mean, I guess I could put one in, take a photo of a ruler on an angle, and just adjust from there, but that's alot of work :)

peterb
22-May-2019, 07:20
the ebony is an amazing camera but $$$$ you get what you pay for sort of but for practicality the Toyo or Wista field cameras are fast to set up and nearly bulletproof when folded and can be had for a lot less.
i was just about to list my Chamonix N-1 on Ebay It was the original model by Chamonix back in the old days (2009) it is one of the lightest options out there, mine is all black which was a custom color made for me by the factory. looks sorta like the ebony.

Drew Bedo
22-May-2019, 14:44
I don't know anything about a Maxwell screen . . .what is the complication? The Graphic screen of course comes out with three tiny screws and metal clips. Maybe I should look into a Maxwell screen for my Wista made Zone VI. What is this product?

steve barry
22-May-2019, 18:12
I don't know anything about a Maxwell screen . . .what is the complication? The Graphic screen of course comes out with three tiny screws and metal clips. Maybe I should look into a Maxwell screen for my Wista made Zone VI. What is this product?

Super bright yet expensive screen. Read about it here... http://www.rolleirepairs.com/maxscreen.htm

andrewch59
22-May-2019, 18:29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_2kvBDg63s&t=281s

Maxwell screen

Just to add my two cents, I have a small and lightweight Horseman 4x5 FA, screen is bright enough without modifying it and body is all metal so very robust. I have a Shen Hao 4x5 and several others but have gone back to my small Horseman because it is easy to pack, easy to setup.

Drew Bedo
22-May-2019, 19:47
Whew . . .$300 and up for a medium format screen . . .what about a 4x5 or 8x10? Must be well over $500.

Who inas this product for Large Formats?

steve barry
23-May-2019, 04:08
Whew . . .$300 and up for a medium format screen . . .what about a 4x5 or 8x10? Must be well over $500.

Who inas this product for Large Formats?

It is. Expensive I know... And you order direct from Bill Maxwell. I've always wanted to try one... It's always been the weak link in all my large format setups. If I could eliminate a loup and dark cloth for 50 percent of outside setups...it would be worth 500 easy. For me.. The dark cloth puts me too close to screen to properly judge composition.

Drew Bedo
23-May-2019, 05:28
Good stufrf on the Intense Screen.

What is the potential issue with installing one in a Speed Graphic? Is it more complex than a simple drop-in?

Now back to the OP: What is your current thinking on the Road Trip 4x5 kit?

For road-side scenic overlooks you might consider aone (or a pair) of TravelWides I; one with a 65mm and the other with a 90mm. The 65 will be an infinity point and shoot. The 90 pretty much the same, but with the ability to scale focus a bit closer. Hand-held can be a plus too.

Can't get a set up much simpler than that . . . .of course there is no rise/fall (so squat?)

Please let us know what you do.

steve barry
23-May-2019, 06:19
Good stufrf on the Intense Screen.

What is the potential issue with installing one in a Speed Graphic? Is it more complex than a simple drop-in?

Now back to the OP: What is your current thinking on the Road Trip 4x5 kit?

For road-side scenic overlooks you might consider aone (or a pair) of TravelWides I; one with a 65mm and the other with a 90mm. The 65 will be an infinity point and shoot. The 90 pretty much the same, but with the ability to scale focus a bit closer. Hand-held can be a plus too.

Can't get a set up much simpler than that . . . .of course there is no rise/fall (so squat?)

Please let us know what you do.

Hey Drew I like the idea of those wonderlust cameras. I had and used a cambo wide for a few years, and I did like it. It was sure fast to use. I don't think you can buy one of those travelwide camera's yet though. I think I paid $650 for the 65 Cambo Wide with lens. I could never find a viewfinder for it though - and I searched for a long time and finally wound up getting frustrated and sold it. But I guess if I could find one with a good viewfinder, that would have a bit of rise, might be something to consider again.

I use rise alot. Sometimes just a tiny bit. I have and LOVE a mamiya 6 rangefinder that goes everywhere with me.

I think the issue with the speed/crown's and trying to brighten the screen comes when people try to use a Fresnel - because on the speeds and crowns it goes on the wrong side of the ground glass. I'm not entirely sure to be honest, just ran across lots of complicated conversations about it. But I think the maxwell screen would just pop right in.

Right now I am really leaning toward option A)getting the maxwell screen for my crown and using that with the 135mm on it or B)getting a 5x7 walker titan wide. I have a nikkor 150mm for my 8x10 i really love, that i could use more if i had a 5x7....and I could get 6x17 back for it which I have had an itch for over the years.

Drew Bedo
24-May-2019, 04:43
I see the TravelWides on e-Bay once in a while now. I have one ,with the 90mm Schneider 6.8 mounted, and it is both light . . .and a bit delicate. I am a little rough on equipment.

Whatever you wind up taking on your road trip, pleas elet us know2 . . .and have fun!

arthur berger
24-May-2019, 06:57
Many years ago I purchased an Ebony new Wide 45 from Midwest camera for just the reasons you mention. I use it with 65,90 and a 150 on a reversed recessed board. It is very fast to use. It came with a fairly bright screen which I wasn’t really happy with, so I got a Maxwell screen. Unlike the majority here, I wasn’t thrilled and went back to a plain ground glass. I am very happy using it with the plain ground glass, maybe just because my other view cameras have plain glass also.

steve barry
24-May-2019, 08:11
Many years ago I purchased an Ebony new Wide 45 from Midwest camera for just the reasons you mention. I use it with 65,90 and a 150 on a reversed recessed board. It is very fast to use. It came with a fairly bright screen which I wasn’t really happy with, so I got a Maxwell screen. Unlike the majority here, I wasn’t thrilled and went back to a plain ground glass. I am very happy using it with the plain ground glass, maybe just because my other view cameras have plain glass also.

So, looking at the ebony's on ebay I see some in pretty rough shape for like $2k. I also see a walker titan brand new bought from Mike Walker for $1650. Would you go for another ebony at this point or with a walker?

arthur berger
24-May-2019, 09:13
I have never seen a Walker camera in person, however I must add that after I got the Ebony wide I missed the ability to use longer lenses. So a few years later I purchased an E bony 45s in mahogany and most of the time I take that on trips because it is about the same weight only a little larger then my ebony Ebony wide. I often think about selling the wide model but when I take it out it so beautiful I have trouble parting with it.