PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma, "It's stuck.. I'll just add Hi Tech lube." Part II

Bernice Loui
19-May-2019, 07:08
This is what the Sinar Norma parts look like once cleaned;

Residual "stuff" that once lived in this Sinar Norma at the bottom of the Ultrasonic cleaner in alcohol solvent:

Norma focus pinion mechanism, a remarkable item of precision Swiss design and production.

There are very specific steps to putting a Norma back together, the must be carried out in order (some variation is OK) if this is not done, there will be minor problems to serious damage. Using the proper lubricants is a must.

Once the Sinar Norma mechanisms are properly back together and adjusted properly, the smoothness and precision of the Norma is remarkable in so many ways.

If there is enough interest, I'll post the specific steps and what lubricants are to be used.

Bernice

rdeloe
19-May-2019, 08:26
If you have the time Bernice, I'd enjoy reading a follow-up that maps out the specific steps and what lubricants to use. That kind of information is pure gold.

Peter De Smidt
19-May-2019, 08:30
I"d be interested as well.

Jeroen
19-May-2019, 08:47
Me too.

Bernice Loui
19-May-2019, 08:54
It's been raining here, so the Norma became a rainy day project. There is another rear standard not taken apart yet. I'll document taking it apart, then putting it back together, then how to do the adjustments here at some point.

Bernice

Tin Can
19-May-2019, 09:14
Thank you

Amedeus
19-May-2019, 09:17
Looking forward to the rest of the story ... I got my first Norma few weeks back and I'm struck by the beauty and precision of it. Not my first Sinar but it's a beauty !

Cheers and thanks !

Pere Casals
19-May-2019, 09:55
This is mine, it was really stuck, I just lubricated it with a Hi Tech lube (Interflon Food lube, H1 atoxic grade, micpol teflon oil, not grease) and two years after it is perfectly smooth, like new, a joy to operate it. Of course disassembling and inspecting all parts it would also be great.

Video:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592977@N05/47092537484/

Vaughn
19-May-2019, 10:31
I am not going to disassemble mine!

But thanks!

Daniel Unkefer
19-May-2019, 11:14
Wonderful important information. Please continue.

Mark Sampson
19-May-2019, 11:22
I put my Norma on the shelf when the front standard focusing became sloppy. I have the instructions for repairing it, but so far have lacked the gumption to tackle the problem. This post helps a lot, Bernice, please keep us posted on your progress!

William Whitaker
19-May-2019, 12:32
I miss my Norma!

Daniel Unkefer
19-May-2019, 13:08
I have four Normas in my studio. An 8x10, a 5x7, and two 4x5s. Plus about 75% of the original accessories.
No other system is even close.

Jerry Bodine
29-Jan-2020, 11:32
It's been raining here, so the Norma became a rainy day project. There is another rear standard not taken apart yet. I'll document taking it apart, then putting it back together, then how to do the adjustments here at some point.

Bernice,
Do you plan to provide this info for the 5x7 and 8x10?

NormaN
4-Sep-2020, 17:41
This is what the Sinar Norma parts look like once cleaned;

Residual "stuff" that once lived in this Sinar Norma at the bottom of the Ultrasonic cleaner in alcohol solvent:

Norma focus pinion mechanism, a remarkable item of precision Swiss design and production.

There are very specific steps to putting a Norma back together, the must be carried out in order (some variation is OK) if this is not done, there will be minor problems to serious damage. Using the proper lubricants is a must.

Once the Sinar Norma mechanisms are properly back together and adjusted properly, the smoothness and precision of the Norma is remarkable in so many ways.

If there is enough interest, I'll post the specific steps and what lubricants are to be used.

Bernice

Hello Bernice
I am also very interested!
Regards
NormaN

Jimi
5-Sep-2020, 02:06
I am still hoping there will be a continuation on this topic, too. I started out on the hi-tech lube route, but ended up actually taking apart and cleaning mine out. Started with the second "project" Norma yesterday. I have a bunch of questions, but I am slowly figuring things out in the meantime.