PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knows Wild Reprogon 149.44mm (150mm) F5.6 lens

Elcan
13-May-2019, 23:04
I've noticed a Wild Reprogon 149.44mm F5.6 was enlisted on eBay.
I can't not find anything specific about it.

Anyone knows anything about that particular lens?
Year of product, image circle, weight, length, filter size?

And does the compay Wild make other large format lenses?

THX

Greg
14-May-2019, 05:08
Sounds like a bad description of an Agfa Repromaster lens. Have seen 150mm Repromaster lenses up for auction with the description of them "covering 11x14"!!! Maybe at 1:1 or higher mags but no way at infinity.

Dan Fromm
14-May-2019, 05:23
It is an enlarging lens. See https://kundoc.com/pdf-a-new-photogrammetric-projection-lens-.html

Wild Heerbrugg was a Swiss manufacturer of microscopes, surveying and photogrammetric equipment. It was bought by Leica and parts of it still operate. Wild made their own optics, including lenses for photogrammetric aerial cameras. A few of them, in particular Aviogons and Super Aviogon, have been adapted to terrestrial cameras. The SA covered 150 degrees. The 44/5.6 SA was for a long time the shortest lens that covers 4x5. One of my friends had one. Amazing lens.

To learn more, search for Wild Heerbrugg.

Dan "A person who shoots from the hip often shoots its own foot" Fromm

EdSawyer
14-May-2019, 05:52
Is there anything shorter available? The shortest I knew of is the 47 SA-XL

-Ed

The 44/5.6 SA was for a long time the shortest lens that covers 4x5.

Dan Fromm
14-May-2019, 06:06
Ed, I think the 44/5.6 Super Aviogon still is the shortest lens that covers 4x5 -- the VM, which is often mistaken, says it covers 150 degrees. If correct it covers 8x10 -- but could be mistaken so I hedged.

Big heavy lens, in barrel. I doubt it can be put in shutter. The aerial cameras it was made for have focal plane shutters. I don't feel like searching for it, but I've seen a picture on the 'net of one stuffed into the front of a 4x5 Speed Graphic.

I played a little with Charlie Barringer's. I'd swear the exit pupil was visible from 90 degrees off axis. As I said, amazing lens. Charlie told me he'd bought three of them from Arnie Duren, kept the best and sold the other two.

Pere Casals
14-May-2019, 06:26
Saying nothing new... the SA XL 38mm may cover 4x5", but by stopping to f/32 or to f/45, as the bundled shutter only stops to f/22 then it has to be mounted in another shutter to cover.

So it is difficult to say that if it covers or not, but from a certain point of view it is able. Nominal circle is 140, so we need to gain some 6mm in each corner by stopping beyond f/22.