PDA

View Full Version : Bag bellows on demand

rpagliari
10-May-2019, 09:43
Does anyone know if anybody in UK or Europe makes bag bellows on demand (provided dimensions are supplied)?

rdeloe
10-May-2019, 09:44
Sure. Custom Bellows in the UK. http://www.custombellows.co.uk/

rdeloe
10-May-2019, 09:45
I just received a set of bellows I ordered from the Hong Kong bellows maker that lots of people also use. I haven't installed them yet, but they look good. They're much thinner and lighter than the Toyo bellows I'm replacing. And he was willing to make them a bit longer for me than standard, at no extra cost.

rpagliari
10-May-2019, 09:47
Can they also make them with magnets? My camera body has magnets on rear and front end.

howardpan
10-May-2019, 10:44
What is the name of this Hong Kong-based bellows manufacturer? Would you please also list their contact information? Thank you.

I just received a set of bellows I ordered from the Hong Kong bellows maker that lots of people also use. I haven't installed them yet, but they look good. They're much thinner and lighter than the Toyo bellows I'm replacing. And he was willing to make them a bit longer for me than standard, at no extra cost.

Two23
10-May-2019, 11:11
I bought bellows for a 5x7 korona from Hong Kong seller; they didn't fit.

Kent in SD

Luis-F-S
10-May-2019, 11:26
I'd stick with Custom Bellows. They know what they are doing and have done it "forever".

rpagliari
10-May-2019, 11:54
They don't build frames. Do you know someone who does?

rdeloe
10-May-2019, 13:52
I purchased mine from eBay seller mytongguy. It's the same guy as eBay seller ecbuyonline2008; his name is Jukie. He seems to operate multiple accounts. Shipping is free but it takes a while. I ordered on April 10 and received the package in Canada on May 10.

I just finished mounting the bellows on a Toyo 45 G frame. This involved some trimming but I'm very pleased with the result. I have not checked for light leaks yet (have to wait for dark). However, so far I'm extremely pleased. They fit perfectly and are significantly thinner and lighter than the original Toyo 45 G bellows I'm replacing. If the standards on my camera could come 2mm closer to each other, I could focus a 90mm lens on a flat board at infinity with these bellows, and still have flexibility for a bit of tilt. The original Toyo bellows didn't compress enough to let me use my 125mm lens on a flat board! With my recessed board I have plenty of movements with the 90mm lens and don't need to put on the bag bellows. I ordered the bellows a bit longer than standard so that I could have flexibility for movements with my 300mm lens (and the potential to use an even longer lens).

Note that I'm not expecting any light leaks through the bellows fabric. Rather, my concern is that there are no leaks where the bellows attached to the frame. I think I'm good because of the way the Toyo frame works, but only a test will tell.

I have not purchased from Custom Bellows but I did email back and forth with them regarding a special bellows I was considering. I found them to be very professional. I don't think you can go wrong with them. As others have mentioned, they've been making bellows for a very long time. I went with the Hong Kong sellers because a Toyo 45 bellows is pretty standard and simple.

EDIT: OP, I just re-read your post and saw you asked about "bag" bellows". All of my responses are for regular bellows. Sorry for the confusion. BUT the seller I bought my standard bellows from also makes bag bellows.

What is the name of this Hong Kong-based bellows manufacturer? Would you please also list their contact information? Thank you.

rdeloe
10-May-2019, 13:56
Is this a custom camera? If it's not, your best bet is probably buying an original but leaky bellows for a good price, and re-using the frames. For custom or unusual bellows, people seem to recommend Richard Ritter. http://www.lg4mat.net/

They don't build frames. Do you know someone who does?

rdeloe
10-May-2019, 19:03
OK then, don't rush out and buy the bellows I got quite yet... When it became dark enough to do a proper test for light leaks, I discovered lots of leaks. Most unfortunate. The leaks are in most of the corners on two sides. I surely hope this is a defective unit. I've contacted the seller to see what he will do for me. I know he has happy customers so I'm hoping I just got a bad one. I'll post an update for posterity when this gets sorted out.

Mark Sawyer
10-May-2019, 20:00
I ordered a set of 8x10 bellows from the Hong Kong seller. They were pieced together from scraps of material with glue spots on the outside, wrinkles and bubbles, etc. I wasn't very happy with them.

Pete Oakley
11-May-2019, 10:25
Custom Bellows in Birmingham England are fantastic people to deal with. I wouldn't go anywhere else.
Pete.

rdeloe
29-May-2019, 19:18
Just a quick follow-up on my experience with Jukie, the Hong Kong seller.

I contacted him about the light leaks I experienced, and he responded immediately. Apparently they'd change some of the materials they use to thinner ones at the request of another buyer, and thought things were fine. I showed them things were not fine. He immediately made me a replacement set with the materials they normally use and shipped it to me by express post at his expense.

I mounted the new bellows today and tested them for light leaks. They are perfectly light tight. I can use these bellows with my 90mm on a flat board (with very little movement); with my recessed board there's plenty of movement. They're also perfect for my 300mm. They extend out to around 550mm and still allow movement. I do have a bag bellows, but with these bellows I expect I won't be using them as much as before.

Rob

OK then, don't rush out and buy the bellows I got quite yet... When it became dark enough to do a proper test for light leaks, I discovered lots of leaks. Most unfortunate. The leaks are in most of the corners on two sides. I surely hope this is a defective unit. I've contacted the seller to see what he will do for me. I know he has happy customers so I'm hoping I just got a bad one. I'll post an update for posterity when this gets sorted out.