PDA

View Full Version : lens on the tip of my tongue.

jesse1996
9-May-2019, 07:44
I work at a retail store in NYC, a customer and I were talking about large format film and he brought up a lens that I cannot for the life of me remember. it started with an "a" and he made the statement: " you could take a photo of an apple against a firetruck and still be able to see the apple" he shoots 4x5. Hopefully one of you guys with some experience can help me out here.

Michael S
9-May-2019, 07:47
artar?

Pfsor
9-May-2019, 08:26
Angénieux.

Dan Fromm
9-May-2019, 08:29
Angénieux.

Unlikely. Very few LF lenses came out of St. Heand, and most of them were for aerial cameras.

jnantz
9-May-2019, 09:47
anastigmat ?
aplanat?

Oren Grad
9-May-2019, 09:57
If all we know is "A...". it could just as well be Apo-something, which would encompass a wide range of late-model lenses as well as some classic ones.

pepeguitarra
9-May-2019, 10:01
Apo-Artar is the only one I think can do that. I have done it.

Bernice Loui
9-May-2019, 10:04
Feeding the troll.... again.

How many sheet film lenses did Angénieux produce?

Bernice

Angénieux.

Bernice Loui
9-May-2019, 10:06
Most any decent 4x5 view camera lens that is not soft focus can achieve visualizing an apple on the fire truck. If the apple is red, fire truck is yellow or yellow-green, visualization in color would be easier.

Bernice

jim10219
9-May-2019, 10:06
If all we know is "A...". it could just as well be Apo-something, which would encompass a wide range of late-model lenses as well as some classic ones.

APO is probably a good guess since the OP's story suggests a lens with good color rendition (apple against a fire truck).

Drew Wiley
9-May-2019, 12:04
Apples come in red, pink, yellow, green, and variegated. Fire trucks come in green as well as red, and if they're antique, with a lot of shiny brass. So in this case, I suppose "A" likewise equates to Any ole lens.

Jim Galli
9-May-2019, 13:37
I put "A" in my lens search engine and it came up with Dagor. OK, if you must; D' agor

Mark Sawyer
9-May-2019, 16:17
Aviar
Acugon
Acuton
Acutar
Aplanat
Antiplanat
Artar
Aero Ektar
Aerostigmat
AeroXenar
Aristostigmat
Adon
Astrogon
Angulon
Apo-Ronar
Apo-Tessar
Apo-Germinar
Apo-Anything...

Drew Wiley
9-May-2019, 18:47
Strange answer, Mr. Galli. I thought that if you punched in "A" around Tonopah, you'd come up with "aliens".

jesse1996
16-May-2019, 20:56
none of these ring a bell sadly...id the customer comes back then I'll definitely ask again!

Dan Fromm
17-May-2019, 04:45
none of these ring a bell sadly...id the customer comes back then I'll definitely ask again!

If you get the opportunity, taste the lens and report which flavor it is.

jesse1996
5-Jun-2019, 19:19
APO-LANTHAR!!!!! he finally came back by the store again and I remembered to ask. I've done some reading and example images and these things are amassing from what I can tell. so are the price tags.