PDA

View Full Version : A Failure of Vision

Tin Can
8-May-2019, 07:44
I am posting in this thread as it is the most active at this moment

Oren if you must change location please make it a public location

104 viewers in this thread when I started this post

Many 'regulars' aka subscribers complain about the FS section, they complain this forum is not interesting anymore, they complain about me! LOL

They complain their stuff does not sell here and or for too little

All this negativity depreciates the forum, the FS section, the future of LFPF and the availability of products we buy. Like film and paper.

However we members are vastly outnumbered at all times by lurkers who are reading this forum and most likely trying to learn how to use Large Format. From us...

The data at this moment is, 111 members and 646 guests

Previsualize what our participation could be...

Jac@stafford.net
8-May-2019, 07:48
Is it true that guests cannot see the FS groups? I've forgotten!

Oren Grad
8-May-2019, 08:06
Randy, I'm going to move this to the "Feedback" subforum.

Jac - yes, FS/WTB are visible only to logged-in members.

Tin Can
8-May-2019, 08:09
Is that a public space?

Randy, I'm going to move this to the "Feedback" subforum.

Jac - yes, FS/WTB are visible only to logged-in members.

Oren Grad
8-May-2019, 08:20
Is that a public space?

Yes, it is.

Jim Noel
8-May-2019, 08:26
If lookers can't be bothered to become members, I believe they should be blocked from particular threads, particularly FS/WTB.

Tin Can
8-May-2019, 08:36
They are and should be.

If lookers can't be bothered to become members, I believe they should be blocked from particular threads, particularly FS/WTB.

Tin Can
8-May-2019, 08:36
Thank you!

Yes, it is.

Corran
8-May-2019, 08:49
Any way to figure out how much of that is bots crawling the page?

During my brief stint operating a forum, I seem to remember data showing a LOT of bot activity, despite being a brand-new forum with maybe 50 posts total.

Tin Can
8-May-2019, 08:57
I am NOT anti robot and eagerly wait for robot taxi here in the middle of nowhere.

One day soon I will have to stop driving...

:cool:

LeeSimmons
8-May-2019, 09:36
During the large format learning phase. A "google search" of any large format related question will invariably generate hit with a discussion thread from this website. That can range from how to fix a packard shutter to information on a antique lens. This is one of the only places to engage on topics of this nature. I don't know of a single person in my area the shoots large format and prints in a darkroom.

It can take years reading these threads and getting your ducks in a row to feel in a position to contribute value to the conversation. There are threads like Gali style and soft focus landscapes that are unique discussions. I was reading yesterday Emil Schmidt lenses and their personalities with great interest.

Buying and selling is part of the fun. I feel we would like to sell to within our community to members who use equipment. It is not a good feeling to see something sold with good intentions only to see it for resale elsewhere at an inflated value without every being used.

Anyways I find the forum amazing and gravitate to the sections that interest most.

Thank you to all of the regular posters - you reach many more of us than you know.

Willie
8-May-2019, 10:06
Randy, we don't "Pre" visualize and Ansel did not either.

malexand
8-May-2019, 10:07
During the large format learning phase. A "google search" of any large format related question will invariably generate hit with a discussion thread from this website. That can range from how to fix a packard shutter to information on a antique lens. This is one of the only places to engage on topics of this nature. I don't know of a single person in my area the shoots large format and prints in a darkroom.

It can take years reading these threads and getting your ducks in a row to feel in a position to contribute value to the conversation. There are threads like Gali style and soft focus landscapes that are unique discussions. I was reading yesterday Emil Schmidt lenses and their personalities with great interest.

Buying and selling is part of the fun. I feel we would like to sell to within our community to members who use equipment. It is not a good feeling to see something sold with good intentions only to see it for resale elsewhere at an inflated value without every being used.

Anyways I find the forum amazing and gravitate to the sections that interest most.

Thank you to all of the regular posters - you reach many more of us than you know.

+1!

Tin Can
8-May-2019, 10:23
St Ansel may not have, I am not trying to emulate him.

I do 'see' my desired image before I shoot it.

I may fail in obtaining my previsualization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Previsualization), but that's simply a learning experience.

Storyboards...

Randy, we don't "Pre" visualize and Ansel did not either.

Vaughn
8-May-2019, 10:41
Please, not another anal semantic discussion about "previsualization"! :eek:

The sun never sets on those kinds of discussions!

Peter Collins
8-May-2019, 10:49
Previsualization was a Minor activity, wasn't it? White.

Vaughn
8-May-2019, 11:02
I understand it as a process, not just a Minor activity, with mental activity before and after the actual moment of visualization.

Tin Can
8-May-2019, 11:04
Aha!

Eureka!

Vaughn
8-May-2019, 11:20
Aha!

Eureka!

Hell, no. I lived in Eureka (CA) for too many years -- so glad to be out of that town! :cool:

Tin Can
8-May-2019, 11:25
I hope you took Archimedes with you.

He was very tired.

Hell, no. I lived in Eureka (CA) for too many years -- so glad to be out of that town! :cool:

Vaughn
8-May-2019, 11:49
I hope you took Archimedes with you. He was very tired.

I thought he was from upstate NY.

Tin Can
8-May-2019, 11:54
Twins, in another dimension.

I thought he was from upstate NY.

BrianShaw
8-May-2019, 12:13
I eagerly wait for the robot drone that will deliver takeout food from a local restaurants. I drive only when necessary... which unfortunately is about 2 hours per day.

Tin Can
8-May-2019, 12:36
40 years ago I got a ride from Eugene OR to San Diego off a college ride board.

6 strangers in a VW Bus. We took turns driving until...we approached LA. I declined!

Suddenly the youngest tiniest woman said she would drive. She said she grew up in LA. She had not driven yet.

Then she took charge and drove that ancient heap like an expert and safely got us out the other side. She really did know how to drive LA. Old VW Buses are not for the faint of heart nor are they easy to drive well.

I couldn't get a ride to Phoenix so I flew commercial. Cheap enough.

There I bought a worse 1964 VW Bus with no brakes. Fixed the brakes in a parking lot and drove it to Chicago.

Fantastic journey. The end of a year of wandering.

I eagerly wait for the robot drone that will deliver takeout food from a local restaurants. I drive only when necessary... which unfortunately is about 2 hours per day.

Vaughn
8-May-2019, 12:52
I drove a 63 VW Bus over the Grapevine into LA at night in a storm (getting a ride from Humboldt to LA with friends in 1972). I was faster than the loaded trucks, slower than the empty trucks. Using the truck lane and using the headlights in the (then) normal way to communicate with the truckers, it was fine. The truckers were willing to work with a bus load of Humboldt Hippies -- very professional. Same thing when I was hauling mules (two or three in the truck, two in the trailer) in the 1980s, up and down dirt roads back in the Yolla Bolly Mountains -- respect the log trucker drivers and they'll return it.

I can not even turn the headlights off in my 2002 VW Eurovan, now -- not a big problem, it can climb the Grapevine at 70mph.

I go days now without climbing into a vehicle.

rdenney
9-May-2019, 08:23
I still miss my 1970 Campmobile. I wish I still had it.

Rick “No, not really” Denney

Tin Can
9-May-2019, 08:44
I bought a fresh restoration of a Bay WIndow Westfalia in 2010 in Halifax.

Then sold it as it was too nice and I was freaking out about scratching it. Not on my shift!

Buses were always a work truck for me. I prefer no interior behind the front seats.

I also sold this unrestored 1964 in 1997 as it was also too nice. The NOT ART was stenciled on it 1997. Not PS.

https://live.staticflickr.com/854/43571417002_ddb73eaba3_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/29ofUgC)71 Halifax Bus (https://flic.kr/p/29ofUgC) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/849/43617076521_106cdacaec_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/29shVfH)1964 NOT ART BUS Type II (https://flic.kr/p/29shVfH) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

Vaughn
9-May-2019, 09:09
Last week crossing Nevada after a few days in Zion NP. A friend who likes a higher viewpoint!

My parents (RIP) gave me the van in 2010 when they got too old to camp (88yrs) and my dad kept scrapping the right side on the entrance to their garage.

Image not LF, but there is an 11x14 and a 5x7 in the van...

Tin Can
9-May-2019, 09:21
What is the gas mileage on the Wasser Bus?

My 6 Air Cooled Bus never got more that 19 mpg and usually less.

My F150 always gets 20 and up to 25 mpg.

Vaughn
9-May-2019, 10:14
On the highway, the Westy gets a steady 20mpg. As a van, it still has to push its way through the air. It requires premium gas. A friend has a 97 Eurovan. We basically have the same engine, but VW tweaked the engine, raised the compression, and I have about 25% more horsepower than the older Eurovans. With 210,000+ miles on it, it purred its way across Nevada. While I could easily maintain the 80mph limit on Utah's Hwy 15, I don't like driving a van that fast. I love Hwy 50 and other smaller roads of Nevada -- I can go 50 to 60mph without slowing anyone down as I take in the landscape.

PS -- I have the Weekender model. Back seat folds down into a bed (otherwise can seat 7 people), the top pops up (two of my boys would sleep up there, the other with me 'downstairs'). It has a table (not usable with the bed out), but no sink, stove, etc. It is about 16" shorter than the fully equipped Westy vans (easier to drive/park in town). Also much lighter. A perfect one-person photo adventure mobile.

Tin Can
9-May-2019, 10:54
We also made mud buggies by 1969 out of 'junk' Bugs and Buses. Most were very rusty and free.

The first one was a Splitty Bus with stock gear reduction rear axles for better ground clearance and steering brakes. No front brakes. Gas pipe frame...

It might be the far one my brother is drag racing against Santa Clause. Shot by me with Pentax SLR.

I flat towed it to Palm Desert where is survived outside for decades and always ran. Maybe still?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/46896057085_1bc349ca15_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2es3xWn)Santa Drag Racing 1971 (https://flic.kr/p/2es3xWn) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

Vaughn
9-May-2019, 11:19
Cool -- a friend had the classic fiberglass bodied VW dunebuggy -- fun out in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and the Salton Sea area (kept on the jeep trails, though -- not any off-road).

Tin Can
9-May-2019, 11:26
1975 we raced the last fancy buggy in the Las Vegas Mint 400.

We were not prepared for that level of insanity.

I was part of a volunteer pit crew for a group of racers.

I might find those pics of dust...

Jim Noel
9-May-2019, 13:09
40 years ago I got a ride from Eugene OR to San Diego off a college ride board.

6 strangers in a VW Bus. We took turns driving until...we approached LA. I declined!

Suddenly the youngest tiniest woman said she would drive. She said she grew up in LA. She had not driven yet.

Then she took charge and drove that ancient heap like an expert and safely got us out the other side. She really did know how to drive LA. Old VW Buses are not for the faint of heart nor are they easy to drive well.

I couldn't get a ride to Phoenix so I flew commercial. Cheap enough.

There I bought a worse 1964 VW Bus with no brakes. Fixed the brakes in a parking lot and drove it to Chicago.

Fantastic journey. The end of a year of wandering.

I loved our 64 Minibus. We bounced across Texas at night with 4 small children headed from San Diego to Birmingham to visit the in-laws.

Tin Can
9-May-2019, 13:20
Well, VW Bus are gaining value, especially a 23 Window Safari in ANY condition.

Here's one asking $129,000 and they can go for far more. This is not even close to a top notch one.

https://journal.classiccars.com/2019/02/22/vw-23-window-samba-bus-restored/

I loved our 64 Minibus. We bounced across Texas at night with 4 small children headed from San Diego to Birmingham to visit the in-laws.

Vaughn
9-May-2019, 14:18
My parents bought new a 1969 7-seater. I learned to drive in it (I turned 16 in 1970), as well as the 1960 Dodge 100 pick-up that the VW replaced as our camping mobile and kid-hauler. Mixing up the 4-on-the-floor pattern with the 3-on-the-column pattern had some interesting results in the Dodge...especially when stopped on a hill.

bloodhoundbob
9-May-2019, 15:54
I am NOT anti robot and eagerly wait for robot taxi here in the middle of nowhere.

One day soon I will have to stop driving...

:cool:

You already have a taxi, i.e., ME.

BrianShaw
9-May-2019, 17:00
... and none of you had VDub busses that ended up on the side of the road in flames?????

Vaughn
9-May-2019, 17:39
... and none of you had VDub busses that ended up on the side of the road in flames?????
That's why my parents bought the 2002 Eurovan. Their Westy Vanagon (forgot the year) caught on fire as they pulled into the town of Borrego Springs. They had just been camping in the middle of nowhere in the Anza-Borrego Desert -- someone pulled along side of them to tell then their van was on fire. They pulled over, my dad got his bicycle out of van to get to the fire-extriquisher, but too late. They had to back off as the camper was engulfed -- it was quite dramatic as the 5gal propane tank they stored on top of the van blew. The fire department quickly arrived and hosed down the two palm trees along the road next to the van -- too late for the van.

A girl came out of the cafe across the road with some food for the two oldies (80 at the time) and someone gave them a lift to San Diego (they lived in San Clemente).

My brother's VW bug caught fire on the way to Colorado -- put out in time. In the middle of Nevada, I smelled gas in my 71 Bug -- pulled over to find that the metal gas line thru the firewall (?) had had a hole worn in it -- a close call. The rubber gasket that it was suppose to go thru had disappeared.

rdenney
9-May-2019, 19:52
What a bunch of old hippies we are.

A few years after owning the bus, I was earning grocery money in college as a mechanic, and entering competitions with a buddy for R&Ring VW engines. I could have kept the bus in service for a looong time.

Rick “but I replaced it with a 1970 Cutlass which was...a bit more exciting” Denney

Vaughn
9-May-2019, 20:00
Farm out! Right arm, brother Rick!

Tin Can
10-May-2019, 05:29
Old hippies, maybe.

I bought a gorgeous new 1971 Cutlass.

My father and older brother bought similar 1970 Malibu convertibles. One blue and one green. Both small blocks, but one had stick and 400 CI in which brother installed station wagon suspension and other mods.His trick was passing on the right in the ditch when drag racing. He also drank way too much and destroyed it X-Mas eve by slamming it sideways into a telephone pole. Almost killed him.

Father and I picked him up and I had to hold him in our car to keep the raging drunk from jumping out on the expressway. He was always wound too tight.

I no longer talk to him.

Peace brothers...