PDA

View Full Version : What is "Schneideritis"? ~ or ~ What are those white specks in my lens?

Smitty
4-May-2019, 20:39
What is all this Schneideritis stuff? I remember seeing fog in old Schneider lenses..are they talking about the white dots in the black painted area of the lens mount? That would be outside of the image area..why would that be of concern?

Steve

Michael Clark
4-May-2019, 20:57
When a lens is made the circumference of the outer edge of the glass lens is coated with paint to help cut down on flare, sometimes the paint will flake off making those silver air bubbles around the edges. Does not cause much trouble, just kind of looks bad.

Alan9940
4-May-2019, 21:18
Many of my LF lenses reveal this anomoly and not all are Schneider lenses; never worried about it as it doesn't affect image quality.

Alan Gales
4-May-2019, 23:01
Great for buyers and bad for sellers is the only concern that I see.

Pere Casals
4-May-2019, 23:52
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Schneideritis.html

Smitty
5-May-2019, 07:16
Thanks on those responses, it was kind of what I had figured would be the answer to that issue. I have a couple of G Clarons that have nice glass but display the white specs in the black painted area. I would say non-issue.
Interestingly I once had a Nikkor LTM lens that was beat to heck with dents, scratches , defects in the glass but boy did it take great pictures.

Luis-F-S
5-May-2019, 07:25
It's really important to people who collect lenses who never plan on using them! L

Bernice Loui
5-May-2019, 07:35
This condition affects Fujinon, Nikon, Zeiss and ... not just Schneider optics from that era. Problem appears to be related to the lens element painting (black) disconnecting from the glass element. Far more often than not, has no significant effect on the optics optical performance, it looks bad on the specific optic.

Bernice

Smitty
26-Dec-2019, 19:34
Hi All,
In looking at a number of Schneider lenses I am seeing white specs in the black paint areas on the outer edges of the lens mount (schneideritis?) Is this likely to affect image quality? Does it decrease the value of the lens?
Thanks, Steve

Luis-F-S
26-Dec-2019, 21:12
Search for Schneideritis in this forum. It's been discussed many many times. BTW, didn't you already ask this same question in June 2014?

BradS
26-Dec-2019, 21:14
in short...Yes, that is 'Schneideritis'. No, it does not affect performance and yes, it often has a dramatic effect on price.

Oren Grad
26-Dec-2019, 21:23
Threads merged.