PDA

View Full Version : ASA 25 Orthochromatic Dry Plates Now Available!

Nodda Duma
2-May-2019, 20:20
I am pleased to announce that Orthochromatic ASA 25 dry plates -- J Lane Speed Plates -- are now available for sale through my online store at

https://www.pictoriographica.com/online-shop.html

Whereas my original ASA 2 plates gave a look reminiscent of the early 1880s, these new orthochromatic plates are formulated to provide the same results as dry plates of the late 1890s, after the discovery of spectral sensitizing dyes and advances in improving emulsion speed had been made. Coated with an ultra fine-grain, high contrast orthochromatic emulsion, the plates have respond from UV through the visible spectrum up to 610 nm. The high contrast is excellent for alternative process printing or for printing onto multigrade paper at grade 0. The long toe of the characteristic curve preserves shadow details for scanning. As with other primitive processes, the effective speed of the plate will vary depending on actual UV levels. The emulsion has been designed to meter at ASA 25 under early spring northward lighting at moderate latitudes, but expect actual speed to vary by up to a stop or more. Use a yellow filter (No. 2) and reduce speed by ~3 stops to take advantage of the orthochromatic response.

The original ASA 2 J Lane Dry Plates will, of course, still be available.

Regards,
Jason

Two23
3-May-2019, 06:28
Ordered a box of 4x5. If they work for me, will also order 5x7.

Kent in SD

Jim Noel
3-May-2019, 08:54
I ordered a box of 5x7. Very happy to see the true ortho plates and at a speed I am accustomed to using with ortho film.

William Whitaker
3-May-2019, 08:58
Yay!!

Nodda Duma
3-May-2019, 10:43
I ordered a box of 5x7. Very happy to see the true ortho plates and at a speed I am accustomed to using with ortho film.

Thanks, I started working on this formulation last year. Lots of false starts, tweaks, tossed emulsion ($$), and testing. I'm pretty happy with it and hope you and others like it as well.

Since this is my own recipe, I'm claiming the distinction of producing the world's latest and newest photographic imaging media. So yeah! Score one for us large format luddites!! :)

Tin Can
3-May-2019, 12:44
Yes, very interesting.

I see you have 3A size. I have 3A holders, now I need a back!

Ordered 25 ASA 1/4 Plate.

Nodda Duma
3-May-2019, 12:58
Thanks, Randy! You’re in the cue!

-Jason

Nodda Duma
3-May-2019, 13:03
By the way, here is a test image which I think shows off the new emulsion really well.

Peter De Smidt
3-May-2019, 14:19
That looks very good, Jason. Randy might lend me a plate holder so that I can give it a try.

Tin Can
3-May-2019, 14:32
I can mail you what you want.

Or drop in!

That looks very good, Jason. Randy might lend me a plate holder so that I can give it a try.

Peter De Smidt
3-May-2019, 14:41
What's the recommended way to store the developed plates? In a print box with interleaving paper?

Nodda Duma
3-May-2019, 14:50
Yes, Peter that’s a good way to start. They come in a box themselves that you can also store them in after use. If you build up a collection of plates, there are dedicated archival storage boxes and envelopes available from archiving supply companies.

Two23
6-May-2019, 14:45
Received my box today. That was fast! I see these are much more sensitive to my red safe light than the original plates. Can I process these in my Stearman SP445? I did a couple of plates from an earlier batch (17?) and the emulsion fell off.

Kent in SD

Nodda Duma
6-May-2019, 15:20
Yeah Kent. I’ve been processing my 4x5’s in my SP-445 for several months now. I think you’ll be hapoy with the improvement in emulsion adhesion since Batch 17

Steven Tribe
9-May-2019, 05:38
I believe there some discussion of coating black metal plates for tin types, but I forget which of the many threads has it!
Would adhesion be more or less of a problem? And is it still a possibility at some stage?

Nodda Duma
9-May-2019, 06:01
Modern tintypes are typically black anodize. Good adhesion requires a different solution than for glass. I have successfully coated tintypes but not with the Ortho emulsion.

Nodda Duma
3-Jun-2019, 19:04
I've updated the Etsy shop with listings for the Ortho 25 plates, so you can order them through there!

See https://www.etsy.com/shop/Pictoriographica

Cheers,
Jason