PDA

View Full Version : Verito 14.5 inch Lens: Studio Shutter

Smitty
2-May-2019, 07:37
I have a nice 14.5 Verito with Studio Shutter. Question: When I open the iris to f4 with the preview lever the lens goes to wide open. If I open the iris with a a cable release it opens to a much smaller size. Seems to work ok with smaller apertures. Would an air/bulb release work better with this or could it be an issue with the shutter itself? Is not the cable release
Thanks, Steve

Louis Pacilla
2-May-2019, 07:42
Do you use a long throw cable release (Gepe/older Prontor)? You MUST use a long throw release for the plunger to have enough throw to push the blades all the way to f4.

William Whitaker
2-May-2019, 08:56
What Louis said. Further, it does not matter whether you use an air release or a "wire" release. Only the travel length is important and yes, it does require a longer throw than most modern releases are capable.

Smitty
2-May-2019, 10:06
I had ordered a release for just that reason, throw looks to be 5/8 inch. As long a release as I could find..

jnantz
2-May-2019, 10:58
Smitty

If you can find one of those olde DeGroff air pistons, they are like 100 years old and work extremely well with all these old lenses from an ancient studio shutter to the betax and alphax shutters. These air pistons sell for cheeps, you just need a blood pressure hose and a bulb and you are set for life. You might be able to buy one new still, once in a while someone sells them but the old ones are exceptional too, and cost very little.

Good Luck !
John

Smitty
4-May-2019, 20:36
Thanks John,
Think I may have one, silver tube engraved on the side?

Steve

jnantz
5-May-2019, 18:31
Thanks John,
Think I may have one, silver tube engraved on the side?

Steve

Hi Steve
Yup, some were engraved on the side, quite beautifully I might add ! :)
John

Smitty
5-May-2019, 22:59
Hi John,
Thanks for tips, I should have it tomorrow. Will keep you posted.
Steve

Smitty
9-May-2019, 13:47
Hi John,
Just received the DeGroff, the threads seem to be too small to screw into the Verido's Studio Shutter. Am I missing something, is this common?

Steve

jnantz
9-May-2019, 14:46
Hi Steve

Mine ( both! ) fit perfectly ( the Vitax & Verito Studio Shutters, and the Betax ); I thought they were all standard thread sizes :(

I am sorry to send you on this wild goose chase! :(

John

Smitty
9-May-2019, 19:15
Hi John,

No worries, you have pointed me in the right direction. I will get it figured out.
I will keep you posted.

Thanks, Steve

cowanw
9-May-2019, 19:34
Early Wollensak threads were possibly straight sided as opposed to conical. I have one like that and have the Wollensak labeled release that goes with it.

LabRat
9-May-2019, 20:16
Early Wollensak threads were possibly straight sided as opposed to conical. I have one like that and have the Wollensak labeled release that goes with it.

This...

The latest model cable release I have that works is a (probably 70's) Gitzo with straight threads, long throw, fairly stiff spring outer cable, chrome, with grey plastic handle...

They are out there, as I used to see them a lot in camera bargain bins...

Works on my Betax #4's...

My Verito has brass barrel, and air piston so not needed...

Steve K

William Whitaker
9-May-2019, 20:41
This...

The latest model cable release I have that works is a (probably 70's) Gitzo with straight threads, long throw, fairly stiff spring outer cable, chrome, with grey plastic handle...

They are out there, as I used to see them a lot in camera bargain bins...
Steve K

I, too, have one of those. It's my go-to cable release for Ilex #5 and Studio shutters. But I have no idea where I got it.
As Steve said, they are out there. Keep looking.