PDA

View Full Version : Different Linhof Technika IV types...

Embdude
28-Apr-2019, 16:12
I have noticed two different interiors on the Technika IV, a brown and a grey.

I have not seen the IV discussed as having different variants other than the final models having the ratcheting rise...

I have an early IV and it is grey.

Does anyone know the story behind the interior colors? Was this an option to pick or if it just changed at some point?

A couple of photos from the internet for reference...
190660 190661

Bob Salomon
28-Apr-2019, 16:17
The only Technikas with a crank for front rise are the V and the Master Technikas.
The V was covered in gray and the Masters in black.
All III and IV Technikas had a knob rise on the front standard. The IV had a tan covering. The III a black covering.

There are some versions covered in different coverings for some special edition models.

For many decades the factory has only had black covering materials available for service centers, however some 3rd parties have supplied other colors.

Embdude
28-Apr-2019, 16:32
Thanks Bob. I am curious about the inside color.

Mine is covered in tan but has a grey inside... others have a brown inside...

I had heard the last batch if IV's had the ratchet but you are a far better source on that...

Bob Salomon
28-Apr-2019, 17:24
Thanks Bob. I am curious about the inside color.

Mine is covered in tan but has a grey inside... others have a brown inside...

I had heard the last batch if IV's had the ratchet but you are a far better source on that...

Never had anyone ask. Post the serial numbers if you want additional info.

No lV had the lever. That was only added with the V!

Embdude
20-May-2019, 15:07
Not specific to the interior color but interesting to see the options...

Pacific Rim Camera has posted a Kling Photo Linhof Dealer sheet from 1957 detailing the colors and finishes available on the Tecnika IV 4x5 23 and 5x7
https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/01694/01694.pdf

23 (6x9): Cameras are finished in Black and Satin Chrome. On special order (10-12 weeks) the camera can be supplied with leather covering and bellows in Sand Gray, Burgundy Red, or Forest Green, at no extra charge.

An All-Ivory finish, including Ivory-Enameled camera bed and interior, with Ivory leather covering and bellows is also available @ $39.00

4x5 model IV: Cameras are finished in Sierra Tan and Satin Chrome, with Black leather bellows. On special order (10-12 weeks) the camera can be supplied with leather covering in Jet Black, Burgundy Red, or Forest Green, at no extra charge.

An All-Ivory finish, including Ivory-Enameled camera bed and interior, with Ivory leather covering and bellows @ $50.00

5x7 : Cameras are finished in Black and Satin Chrome. On special order (10-12 weeks) the camera can be supplied in Sand Gray, Burgundy Red, or Forest Green leather, at no extra charge.

An All-Ivory finish, including Ivory-Enameled camera bed and interior, with Ivory leather covering and bellows @ $55.00

Embdude
20-May-2019, 15:10
I have never seen an "All-Ivory" linhof... anybody have a photo of such a camera?

I recall Bob mentioning a white medical variant in another post once...

Bob Salomon
20-May-2019, 15:51
I have never seen an "All-Ivory" linhof... anybody have a photo of such a camera?

I recall Bob mentioning a white medical variant in another post once...

That was the Medcin made before and during WWll for medical use as it was “washable”.

Embdude
21-May-2019, 10:52
Never had anyone ask. Post the serial numbers if you want additional info.

No lV had the lever. That was only added with the V!

Thanks Bob! my IV # 64603 / 119 has a tan-ish exterior and a grey interior... seems to be an early IV with older style rangefinder housing without the lip... is there any way to determine if the original covering was tan?

Embdude
21-May-2019, 10:57
That was the Medcin made before and during WWll for medical use as it was “washable”.

Ah ok. The Medcin/ Medizin predates the 1946 III as I recall. So the "All-Ivory" Linhof's were something else. Apparently only made for the 23/IV/5x7 models of the late 50's...

linhofbiker
21-May-2019, 15:01
In 1972/3 I bought a 1955 4x5 Technika III that had a front body panel like the IV and with 2 focusing wheels like the IV. This version had no leather covering but was enameled a mottled grey color that was almost impervious to wear. I eventually traded this camera for a tan leather covered Technika V in 1983. Now I am the proud owner of a somewhat tattered IV that is very strong and precise, I did remove the rangefinder because I wasn't using it. The IV and V seem to last for ever, being almost indestructible. I also had the "ivory" or white 6x9 model V from 1963. I thought the versions without leather coverings were much more practical. Now I prefer the Kardan Bi for its movements and no leather!

Embdude
20-Jul-2019, 01:17
Thats pretty cool, thanks