PDA

View Full Version : What Kodak is up to

Ron Marshall
26-Oct-2005, 07:43
From the "New Scientist website", an excerpt from an article about recent patents.

Backlit prints

Kodak researchers in Rochester, New York, US, have been doing a lot more than imagining. Recently filed patents reveal how photographic prints, or inkjet printing paper, can be made to self-illuminate.

Kodak's new paper has a backing sheet made from a three-layer sandwich. A thin metallic sheet is coated with a smooth layer of white-light phosphor, similar to that used in a black and white TV tube, and the phosphor layer is topped with a transparent metal film.

The backing sandwich is then either coated with the silver halide chemicals used to make conventional photo prints, or the dye absorbing layers used for inkjet printing paper. Polymer glues hold the layers together, add strength and seal against atmospheric damp.

When electrical current flows from one metal layer, through the phosphor powder, to the other metal layer, a glow is produced. This provides a uniform backlighting for the images printed over the top.

The effect requires about 100 volts at several hundred hertz but very low current – similar to a pocket LCD screen. A transparent polymer coating acts as an insulator to protect against any tingle if touched.

Kodak has made the backlit paper thin enough to pass through a conventional printer and flexible enough to fit in a photo album

Ralph Barker
26-Oct-2005, 08:49
That's a "glowing" report, Ron. ;-)

Kodak self-illuminating photo paper, $1.50/sheet. Proprietary Kodak power supply, $595. (lol)

Darcy Cote
14-Oct-2006, 19:55
nt.

Donald Qualls
16-Oct-2006, 17:33
Wow -- electrolume photo paper. Too bad Kodak doesn't make B&W printing papers any more...

Jim Rice
16-Oct-2006, 21:06
First, make it clear that you don't like your core constituency........at all. Second, get some lame-assed idea guys who come up with lame-assed ideas (go figure). Third, make sure that you impliment those lame-assed ideas in the most lame-assed implimentation possible.......you can be the next Polaroid, though on a grander and more historic scale.

David A. Goldfarb
17-Oct-2006, 05:42
While you're waiting for the electric paper to come out, sign up for some free film (not in sheets unfortunately, but I've got some rollfilm backs, too. U.S. only, alas)--

http://www.kodak.com/global/mul/professional/support/wrt/campaigns/GC00369/entry.jhtml

George Kara
19-Oct-2006, 19:49
Im not sure of this particular product but am surprised at all the negative comments. I realize most here are not the early adopter types, but thinking out of the box, this may be quite interesting. Perhaps a new form of analogue capture.

There is a company in the eu that my biz partner is involved with that holds patents with led related items. Doesnt sound interesting? Well this group is able to print using a technique similar to silk screen, and will eventually be able to print moving image capable paper at an eventual cost that is very inexpensive and allows the product to be disposable.

Imagine buying corn flakes with tony the tiger slurping that stuff down in full motion! Imagine painting your walls with led enabled paint that will allow you to change your walls to any imagery whenever you want in full ,ptopm or still imagery.

Think of a modern Roman palazzo with moving frescos or photos. Now that is interesting.There will be a stage where digital will be supplanted by an alternative method. Digital is susceptible to theft and piracy. Think of your wall as being the entertainment/communication center where you listen to music, communicate, read, watch TV etc. I know movies have been created with this type of imagery, but it may arrive sooner than we think.

Mark Carney
20-Oct-2006, 04:11
George,

That sounds like Harry Potter.
It also sounds interesting.

GPS
20-Oct-2006, 04:49
In such a house everyone (including your kids) could become a full time psycho in no time...

Paul Coppin
20-Oct-2006, 18:56
Imagine buying corn flakes with tony the tiger slurping that stuff down in full motion!

I can hardly wait. I'd rather have a good light sensitive emulsion. Cereal boxes get recycled rather quickly, assuming you can recycle such a package at all...

tim atherton
20-Oct-2006, 19:18
Mark - exactly what I thought - Hary Potter...

that said, this would open up all sorts of interesting and exciting possiblilites. Sounds wonderful. Photography is always in dange of being hidebound by its apparent technical limitations (although more often than not, they are mental barriers - size being a good example)

Andrew O'Neill
27-Oct-2006, 17:40
What Kodak is up to...

Not a heck of a lot as far as I'm concerned!

neil poulsen
30-Oct-2006, 23:38
I wonder if one needs a separate power supply for each image?

Maybe one can connect multiple images in parallel??? Or, in series?

All I know is, don't get them near water!

Stephen Willard
31-Oct-2006, 01:19
This has a lot of potential. One of the biggest complaints I have about displaying photographs is they need to be properly light, and not everyone has track lights in their homes. Even if they do the intensity can vary greatly making it difficult to print properly. Having an internal light source built into the paper would be a big step in solving the problems with displaying prints. Perhaps the prints would be more like slides on a light table with brilliant colors and rich detail from the shadows to the highlights. This concept could have enormous potential.

paulr
31-Oct-2006, 09:16
sounds pretty cool to me. i can't think of any use for it for myself, but it's probably something intended for the (huge) tradeshow and exhibition market. and it could get adopted pretty quickly by artists who are more interested in experimenting than with being bound by rules and habits.

keith connelly
2-Nov-2006, 08:05
...They are way behind........this has been going on for the last few years....Companys have been researching this "Printing Electronics"....Its mind-blowing.....They want to be able to print sheets off (Epson)?....Like OLED....it will have moving graphics...and such...They also want to print Circuts right on a web press so you can have 1Cent Rfid Chips....Printed on a web ....as they make Packaging....So your box will light up or show girl or guy using "oven" right on side of packaging....They(walmart) need rfid chips on all packaging...but at 50 cent each....(Gum)...cant trac gum50 cent with 50 cent chip....$1.00???So they want to print Electronis on web press...With ink that has Electrons-and other stuff...All big Company's are doing R/d.....Motorola,Big press and paper Company's....But To get back.....Yes they want to print out Flex Material of Epson.....And Have It LIGHT up withAd's.........Ya this Stuff is Nut's....Go Down Into Cubby Hole......"Printing Electronics"...Google It......its a Great site.......

keith connelly
2-Nov-2006, 08:24
..They want to print Circuit....With press...Like Intel....Does Now....On a Web Press..!It will be the Biggest thing in a long time..Xerox,They have a bunch of pat.....on this ink that will conduct the elec....for the Packaging...And Built the Electronics with the Press Layer By Layer.....

ykumar
20-Jan-2007, 21:05
http://www.technewspulse.com/kodak-to-11-video-326/

They explain it all in this video :)

Paul Fitzgerald
21-Jan-2007, 09:38
" ... and the phosphor layer is topped with a transparent metal film."

Does anyone else remember the Star Trek movie with the whales and 'transparent Aluminum' container walls?? I guess they are still using 'Warp speed' computers in Rochester. Too bad Kodak was invaded by 'trekkies' but that might explain what's been going on there.

Good morning people.

Doug Kerr
21-Jan-2007, 19:59
Sounds good to me.

I'm only a telephone engineer, and I have trouble understanding conspiracy theories

Best regards,

Doug

Dan Ingram
21-Jan-2007, 21:06
Hey, I clicked on David's link to get some free film, and this is the response I got from Kodak: "Thank you for your interest. We have reached maximum fulfillment."

Well, I say good for them. I've spent lots of time and money on therapy, spirituality, and materialism, and I'm not even close!

Turner Reich
22-Jan-2007, 21:08
"Thank you for your interest. We have reached maximum fulfillment."

And they certainly are full of it!

Ron Mowrey
29-Jan-2007, 21:19
" ... and the phosphor layer is topped with a transparent metal film."

Does anyone else remember the Star Trek movie with the whales and 'transparent Aluminum' container walls?? I guess they are still using 'Warp speed' computers in Rochester. Too bad Kodak was invaded by 'trekkies' but that might explain what's been going on there.

Good morning people.

I was one of the "TREKKERS" there. You should know that at EK the Trekkers were the analog photography people, so we were with you all the way. IDK what the digital people are.

Ron Mowrey

Oren Grad
29-Jan-2007, 21:32
Ron - good to see you over in these parts...

roteague
29-Jan-2007, 22:07
I was one of the "TREKKERS" there. You should know that at EK the Trekkers were the analog photography people, so we were with you all the way. IDK what the digital people are.

Ron Mowrey

Hi Ron, good to see you here.

Ron Mowrey
30-Jan-2007, 07:58
"Thank you for your interest. We have reached maximum fulfillment."

And they certainly are full of it!

They did specify a limit. I wish it had been higher, but then what can you do.

Ron Mowrey

Ron Mowrey
30-Jan-2007, 08:00
Thanks for the comments guys. I've been a member here for about 3 years, but have mainly 'lurked' reading things. It has always impressed me as being a very nice forum.

The color paper question prompted a reply because it is a neat way to make reversal images with snappy colors.

Ron Mowrey