PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Options for Early Lenses

Two23
25-Apr-2019, 15:11
I have a nicely restored Gundlach Korona 5x7. I've been shooting it with vintage 1910 lenses and sometimes medium sized Petzvals (FL= 6-8 inch.) This works well. I also have some bigger early lenses I've had mounted on Korona boards such as a FL= 12 in. Voigtlander Petzval. The thing looks huge on this camera! I'm itching to use it. :) With the smaller barrel lenses i've been placing an ND filter over the front element to slow exposure time down to 1s and this works great. The big Petzval has a front element about 3.5 to 4 inches in diameter, so my 62mm ND aren't going to work. I also have a Packard shutter that I can install inside the front standard to give me 1/30s (using Lane plates ISO 2), but I got to looking at it and the opening on that is only 2 inches! Rear element of the Petzval is about 3.75 inches, so I'm losing a lot of light here. My other lenses have smaller diameter rear elements--close enough I think.

So, what advice can you give? I might find a 10 stop ND big enough to cover the front element and small enough to fit inside the hood, and I could keep using the black t-shutter over the lens as a shutter. Or I could install the Packard and see how it does (although I think I'll lose that wide open softness.) Or, I could maybe only shoot wet plate with that big Petzval, although that will dramatically increase the involvement per outing! (And I haven't started wet plate yet.) I'm not aware of any T-P rollerblinds that would work here. I did have a thought of getting some resin ND filters and cutting them to fit into the Waterhouse slot, but I'm not sure what effect that would have on the image. (I do have an f8 and f16 stop for the lens.) Eventually I'd like to move to something like a Kodak 2D with 8x10 & 5x7 back which would allow for a bigger Packard (I would think.) Not in a hurry to do that within the next six months though. Any thoughts from those of you who've been using bigger lenses? I'm leaning towards a solution using ND filters. The camera and big pre-Civil War lenses I have are too cool to not be using.:)

Kent in SD

Dan Fromm
25-Apr-2019, 15:49
There are larger Packards.

Jim Noel
25-Apr-2019, 15:51
I use gels when I need to reduce exposure. They are available from stage lighting firms in 10" square sheets, cheap.

Bob Salomon
25-Apr-2019, 16:03
I use gels when I need to reduce exposure. They are available from stage lighting firms in 10" square sheets, cheap.

Lighting gels are not designed to be used on lenses, you would be much better off by spending more and get Nd filters for shooting through!

Two23
25-Apr-2019, 16:16
I calculate that a 95mm 10-stop ND will allow me to shoot 1s/f4/ISO 125 (Ilford FP4+) and a 5 stop ND will let me shoot 1s/f4/ISO 2. A 95mm filter will fit inside the lens hood with no problem. Filters are multicoated.

Kent in SD

Two23
25-Apr-2019, 16:17
There are larger Packards.

Yes, but will they fit inside a Korona 5x7? For a 2D 8x10 probably.

Kent in SD

Dan Fromm
25-Apr-2019, 16:28

Kent in SD

Shutters can be hung in front of lenses.

Tin Can
25-Apr-2019, 16:33

Kent in SD

No, you need bigger lens boards or mount them on front of lens.

https://packardshutter.com/#dim

Big lens, big lensboard, big Packard 8" OD.

I did get a yellow filter to fit my Kodak 405mm f4.5, it's 122mm.