PDA

View Full Version : bad batch of Tmax 100?

Liquid Artist
24-Apr-2019, 22:41
I bought an outdated box of T-max 100 a couple years ago and have had the same problem with the entire box.

The edges are always good, but the centre always has the think dye layer on.

I could always wash the dye off the first package with hot water, with good results however I just started the second package and it seems to be thicker. The photo doesn't even seem to penetrate through the layer now.

To give you an idea this negative has soaking in Hot Water for around an hour.

Am I doing something wrong ( I have never had this issue with any other film ) or is it a bad batch of film?

interneg
24-Apr-2019, 23:33
It's expired film - of course it's going to have problems, quite apart from the fact we don't know how well it was stored. Date stamps exist for a reason...

Fred L
25-Apr-2019, 05:36
almost looks like the sheets stuck together in the box after moisture penetration. dunno, but presume they weren't when u loaded the holders. unfortunately it looks like this box is toast...

jp
25-Apr-2019, 06:14
Processing usually takes that stuff off. I'd suspect it was stuck to something in processing. Dip it in fix for a couple minutes and see what happens.

Larry Gebhardt
25-Apr-2019, 06:37
It's expired film - of course it's going to have problems, quite apart from the fact we don't know how well it was stored. Date stamps exist for a reason...

That's a bit strong in my experience. As film ages you can expect some extra fog, but most frozen film is good long past its expiration date. I've used some frozen film that's a decade out of date, but frozen. It had less fog than a box approaching the expiration data, but stored at room temperature. But problems with storage can ruin all film, in date or not. That's what I'd wager happened here.

John Layton
25-Apr-2019, 08:03
As a point of reference...I've been using an old stock of 11x14 Tri-X, expiration date 1988, which has been stored in several hot attics, damp basements, etc. - and never frozen or even refrigerated (long story), and while it does have a bit of base fog (actually nice for certain subjects!), I've been getting good results (this one souped in HC-110 Dilution B): 190532

Liquid Artist
25-Apr-2019, 08:58
I love the photo John,
It gives me hope for a box expired in 1991 included with my 2D

Thanks for all the responses, I will just chalk it down as a bad batch.
I did get it from a trusted member here, and kept it frozen since received.

With the first sealed envelope I at least got some good results after washing off the coating
Sorry I haven't had the chance to print anything off yet but here is a negative.

I have tried soaking a couple sheets in fixer for over an hour, and also pre soaking for extended periods. The rinsing in hot water was in desperation.
With this envelope the image doesn't even seem to penetrate through the center coating, so it doesn't even matter.

I guess I will open up another box and try it today.

Bernice Loui
25-Apr-2019, 09:14
Heart breaking :(

Suggest for any serious work, use only know GOOD film as the potential image lost is difficult if not possible to re-do or replace.
$ pinching on film for serious work is often a result of short term thinking.

Bernice

Liquid Artist
25-Apr-2019, 10:31
Thanks Bernice,
I honestly only use the 8x10 for my artwork, and use my 4x5 or 5x7 when it's more important.
Mostly because of the more modern shutters in my smaller formats. I only use barrel lenses on the 8x10.
In this case all 4 lost shots were within an hours drive from my moms house.

Drew Wiley
25-Apr-2019, 10:52
Looks like some kind of storage issue involving moisture. You can't blame the manufacturer.

Bob Salomon
25-Apr-2019, 11:13
Thanks Bernice,
I honestly only use the 8x10 for my artwork, and use my 4x5 or 5x7 when it's more important.
Mostly because of the more modern shutters in my smaller formats. I only use barrel lenses on the 8x10.
In this case all 4 lost shots were within an hours drive from my moms house.

So, almost 2 hours lost getting and returning from the spot + lost time shooting + almost another 2 hours lost to get and return there again + the time shooting!

What do you value your time at?

+ lost time processing and now having to reprocess the reshoot!

How much have you really saved on old film?

+ what could you have done if you hadn’t lost all that time?

Bob Salomon
25-Apr-2019, 11:14
Looks like some kind of storage issue involving moisture. You can't blame the manufacturer.

+1 if it was a film problem he would not be the only one with it!

Serge S
25-Apr-2019, 11:22
Yes, I've soured on using expired film. Not worth it, especially when you get strange artifacts etc.

So, almost 2 hours lost getting and returning from the spot + lost time shooting + almost another 2 hours lost to get and return there again + the time shooting!

Liquid Artist
25-Apr-2019, 11:51
I wasn't blaming anyone Drew,
I have just never seen an issue like it and was wondering what caused it.
Plus if there was a work around.

Although I can understand what you are saying I guess I am different than most people here Bob,
However where I live it isn't uncommon for people to drive an hour just for a good meal out. It's actually the closest city.
Besides I mainly use a camera as therapy at this point in time.
I have a stressful job and the camera and darkroom is what keeps me sane.

In the near future that I am hoping that will change, and I will be able take photography more seriously.

Drew Wiley
25-Apr-2019, 12:04
I've bought and used, with complete success, quite a bit of expired sheet film; but it was always from reputable sources where I was apprised of the specific storage circumstances (refrigerated and still factory-sealed!). Second, I always used such films for non-critical applications (experimentation, sheer fun, subject matter that could be repeated if necessary), never for client work or personal usage which involved a lot of associated expense or difficulty.

Fred L
25-Apr-2019, 12:21
...What do you value your time at?...

While a negative, and The Print, are what many of us have as end goals for our efforts, for some, and I count myself as well, getting outside in gorgeous country is part of the package. I wouldn't mind killing a couple of hours driving around Kelowna and interior B.C., looking for a photograph. Same with most of Ontario, esp in the boreal forests of northern Ontario. I'd also guess, visiting his/her mom is part of the equation.

Liquid Artist
25-Apr-2019, 12:36
You know you are always welcome here Fred, the same as anyone else here.
I will try my best to take time off work, and guide you around.
Last year I brought out my Linhof 4x5 for an East Coast tour ( with fresh film of course) and loved it.
If you have a chance I would also recommend Yellowknife. I spend 2 months there every winter.

Fred L
25-Apr-2019, 12:54
Yellowknife is fine, esp around the float plane base and Old Town, but I would love to go back and visit Whitehorse as well. Definitely a different vibe, less frontier and resource extraction town feel.

Willie
25-Apr-2019, 13:28
Why not get ahold of the folks at Kodak and see if you can send them some sheets so they can check it out. Not to get free film - but to find out what the problem is? They have most likely seen it before. Or, if something new maybe they will name the problem after you?

Liquid Artist
25-Apr-2019, 15:42
Good idea Willie,

I did a test strip from my box of expired in 1991 film, and I am pleasantly surprised.
It looks like shooting it around ISO 50 is just about right. Very little fogging if any.
So all in all I am only out a little time and energy.

koraks
26-Apr-2019, 00:17
Of the several expired films I've tried, TMAX100 generally holds up the best in my experience.