PDA

View Full Version : Tape on Roll causing catastrophic print head issues

bob carnie
24-Apr-2019, 06:32
I use Hahnemuhle and Epson and Canson papers... in the last 9 months I have had two rolls of paper supplied by Hahnemuhle ( silk bartya) and ( William Turner) where the end of the roll was taped with scotch tape to the core.. In both cases it cause a tension jump in the machine which made the head strike the paper. In the first case I had to replace two print heads and this last occurrence I am not sure yet.

I have only seen this tape on two rolls of paper in years.. I am wondering has anyone else seen this tape on cores and if so has it caused issues with your printer?

I am being told by Hahnemuhle tech that tape is used on every single roll they make... but for the life of me on all the rolls I use I have only seen this tape twice. Thoughts ?

Peter Mounier
25-Apr-2019, 09:32
Bob
I've been printing from rolls since the 1st Epson 10000 printer came out (2003?), but I print on sheets that I cut from 44" wide rolls. I don't print with the roll on the printer unless the sheet is too large to handle without dinging it, and when I do I always have to be aware of whether I would run out of paper in the middle of a print because the tape would be an issue. I always encounter tape on the end of the roll. The papers and canvases that I use used to be held on by 3 short strips of masking tape, one in the center of the roll, and the other two near the edges, but at some point in the past, the manufacturers started using an adhesive that seems to be ATG tape (adhesive tape gun), which is like double sided tape without the plastic substrate. Both masking tape and ATG tape can cause problems, but the ATG tape is less adhesive and more likely than not would disconnect from the core before causing a jam. There would still be a little residue from the ATG tape, so I still had to be aware of the length of the roll left on the tube. But your questions seems to be whether or not tape has been a common practice, and my experience says yes. I have limited experience with Hahnemuhle and Canson and can't recall whether their rolls specifically had tape on them, but I am surprised when I encounter a roll where the trailing edge doesn't have some sort of adhesive.