PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 810V in F.64 BPX packpack?

Roberto Manderioli
22-Apr-2019, 16:08
Hello, I wonder if anyone owning the Chamonix 810V can confirm that fits in the F.64 BPX backpack. I am not sure as the size of the camera (34cm wide) is slightly bigger than the declared internal dimension of the main compartment (33cm).
Thanks!

Oren Grad
22-Apr-2019, 16:28
I have an early-vintage BPX, which I use for 8x10 and WP kits. The BPX is not rigid. If the dimensions specified for the 810V include any projecting knobs, it should be possible to fit the camera without difficulty. If the 34cm width specified for the camera is for the body proper, and any knobs extend beyond that, it will be a bit of a squeeze - probably still possible, but I'd choose a different pack that doesn't require that much of a stretch.

Roberto Manderioli
23-Apr-2019, 03:04
This video answered my question:

https://youtu.be/SWwKuRtrees?t=396

at 6:36

Thanks

Greg
24-Apr-2019, 05:34
fits with a little room to spare, image attached...

Roberto Manderioli
24-Apr-2019, 05:40
fits with a little room to spare, image attached...

That's what I was looking for, thanks.
Does it fit in a way that you feel safe enough or would you look for a different one had you the chance to start over again?
Because meanwhile I discovered two more backpacks that could fit: the MindShift Gear FirstLight 40L and the Lowepro Pro Trekker 650 AW ...

Greg
24-Apr-2019, 15:35
Does it fit in a way that you feel safe enough or would you look for a different one had you the chance to start over again?
Because meanwhile I discovered two more backpacks that could fit: the MindShift Gear FirstLight 40L and the Lowepro Pro Trekker 650 AW ...

The fit is great. I keep a piece of 1/2" floor "tile" padding behind the GG. Use a MindShift 36L for my whole plate Chamonix, too small for the 8x10 to fit inside. The MindShift does open open from the back side, took a little while to get used of that. Lowepro backpacks have a lifetime guarantee. Like the f/64 cause it easily holds 3 (not compact) lenses on their Sinar lens boards. Holders in the front. Side attachable pockets hold my meter, etc. Always carry my tripod over my shoulder. If attached to the side of the pack, unbalances the load on my back. Workmanship on the MindShift the slightest bit better in my opinion, but definitely not enough to matter.

f9likethekey
24-Apr-2019, 20:04

I originally purchased the F.64 backpack and was underwhelmed with the quality and space it provided. I ended up going with the Lowepro 650, described with pictures in this thread:

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?144427-Backpack-for-8x10&highlight=8x10+backpack