PDA

View Full Version : Going to Mexico

Jacques Augustowski
25-Oct-2005, 14:23
Hi,
I have already being to Mexico and as I liked so much, I am taking my 18 year old son to Mexico city and go up north. All the times I travelled to Mexico I did not take a large format camera, now I plan to take a 8x10. Can someone give any information on were to buy large format films and if there is a Tina Modotti's museum in Mexico City .
Thanks,
Jacques

Pete Caluori
25-Oct-2005, 20:09
Greetings,

Unfortunately, the news I have is not too good. I spent some time talking to Julio Galindo at APIS this year and he told me that film is "dead" in Mexico. Julio lives in Mexico City and he said everything analog is gone. He said you can't get paper, chemistry, film, nothing. Everyone is using the cameras built into their cell phones. Julio uses 120 & 4x5 and said he had to order his supplies from the USA. If you want to contact him you can e-mail at infoatjuliogalindo.com.mx just change the at to @. Good luck and have a great trip, Mexico and her people are wonderful.

Regards, Pete

Jorge Gasteazoro
25-Oct-2005, 20:43
I dont know where Julio got this, but it is not true, at least in the town where I live. You really should bring your 8x10 film with you, as getting it here will take you about a week or so. If you plan to ship it to your hotel I recommend you use UPS and put on top of the box "Pelicula fotografica, por favor no abrir las cajas" I have trained UPS not to open the film anymore, after about $2000 dollars worth of boxes they had to pay. I dont kow about Mexico City, but where I live in the city of Queretaro there are a couple of stores that stock chemicals, one is Videoquer their phone number is (442)248 2944 or 248 2966. This is the best store and they carry or stock any Kodak chemical you might want.

Now, Queretaro is 2 1/2 hours north east of Mexico city, if you plan to come this way my address and phone number are listed in the LF forum page, you are welcome to give me a call and I will take you around of course you are welcome to use my darkroom if you want to develop film. On the way North from Mexico city, is the town of Tula, here you will find the Giants of Tula, a very nice place but they dont allow tripods, so you will have to use a handheld camera or figure out how to hand hold your 8x10.

E mail me if you want more information, good luck.

Pete Caluori
25-Oct-2005, 20:48
Jorge, that's good to know! It's been a few years years since I've been to Mexico and talking to Julio this year was very disheartening. If I ever make it to Queretaro, I'll certainly look you up.

Regards, Pete

Jorge Gasteazoro
25-Oct-2005, 22:03
By all means Pete, have camera will travel... :-)

Jacques Augustowski
2-Nov-2005, 09:21
Thanks for all of you who replied to my question. I have already contacted jorge in PVT
Thanks,
Jacques