PDA

View Full Version : NEW BOOK: Finally, an easier and inexpensive (very) new technology for photogravure

davidkachel
15-Apr-2019, 19:02
My apologies for not posting this a couple of months ago, but better late than never.

My new book: "21st Century Dry Film Polymer (Direct-to-Plate) Photogravure"

Not only is this new process far cheaper than copper plate or the readymade polymer plates, it is also much simpler. If you have shied away from photogravure in the past because of the difficulty and expense, you need't do so any longer. For example: a 5x7 plate costs less than one dollar to prepare! And, there is no sacrifice in quality, at all. Make photogravures from any image, film or digital. Even the book is cheap! ($29.99) 440+ pp. PDF format only.

You can see the book description (and purchase it) on my web site:

http://davidkachel.com/wpNewDK/?page_id=593&fbclid=IwAR0-W4mdJIOeNTrNHUiNuNIwpewfqYatJ6HaudA-9VTC8uBcAjO6Tl8UT2w

Peter De Smidt
15-Apr-2019, 21:04
Just bought the book.

hendrik faure
16-Apr-2019, 01:30
My apologies for not posting this a couple of months ago, but better late than never.

My new book: "21st Century Dry Film Polymer (Direct-to-Plate) Photogravure"

Not only is this new process far cheaper than copper plate or the readymade polymer plates, it is also much simpler. If you have shied away from photogravure in the past because of the difficulty and expense, you need't do so any longer. For example: a 5x7 plate costs less than one dollar to prepare! And, there is no sacrifice in quality, at all. Make photogravures from any image, film or digital. Even the book is cheap! ($29.99) 440+ pp. PDF format only.

You can see the book description (and purchase it) on my web site:

the book is worth every pence
And yet, there stays a difference between copper and plastic

Tin Can
16-Apr-2019, 10:54
Read the story.

Bought the book.

I know I will need a press...

Hendrik!

pm soon, nogard's story

andreios
17-Apr-2019, 11:25
OK, I am curious but really, what is the basic idea of the process? What does the "direct to plate" mean? Are you printing directly on the plate with an ink-jet printer? Or does it require digital negatives only? I do think it would be fine to include this basic information. I am interested in photogravure - well, the real stuff, ideally - but for some reasons I only work with in camera negatives - I don't scan them and make digi-negs. Is this process feasible in this conditions?

davidkachel
17-Apr-2019, 11:51
Direct-to-Plate means that instead of making an enlarged film positive (the films used to make positives for the photogravure process no longer exist), a temporary positive image is printed directly onto the plate with an inkjet printer, the plate is then exposed through that positive, the positive is subsequently washed off and the plate processed. The only other options are to make permanent instead of temporary positives with your inkjet printer, or make an enlarged film positive on whatever type of film you can find, 8x10 being the most likely maximum size.
If you want "the real stuff", you will have to make copper plates in the traditional manner with all the expense and difficulty that entails.

hendrik faure
18-Apr-2019, 15:31
OK, I am curious but really, what is the basic idea of the process? What does the "direct to plate" mean? Are you printing directly on the plate with an ink-jet printer? Or does it require digital negatives only? I do think it would be fine to include this basic information. I am interested in photogravure - well, the real stuff, ideally - but for some reasons I only work with in camera negatives - I don't scan them and make digi-negs. Is this process feasible in this conditions?

Andreios, you work 8x10inch - best condition. make a low to medium contrast contact copy and you will get results in the traditional procedure.
Maybe not the results you expected, but...
Have a look at https://vimeo.com/233715914. I made all héliogravures without any computer stuff.
Text is french, but there is an english version (without music): https://issuu.com/royalphotographicsociety/docs/rps_analogue_issue_6_0418
page 6-16.

Tin Can
18-Apr-2019, 15:41
We can make direct to positive on X-Ray film up to 14X36 and 14X17.

I will never buy an Inkjet printer again as my usage is too low to maintain one.

davidkachel
23-Apr-2019, 18:44
Just a nudge.

MurrayMinchin
8-May-2019, 17:01
Just a nudge.

Hi David,

I've never seen a photogravure, let alone make one, but I have a question.

How is "open bite" avoided in dark areas without using an aquatint screen? Is it some sort of printer dithering pattern magic?

P.S. Have they given you a hero badge for the intuitive leap of logic and tenacity in coming up with SLIMT yet?

Murray

interneg
8-May-2019, 17:43
How well does the inkjet dither deliver the hard dot that gravure needs?

davidkachel
2-Jun-2019, 11:36
Hi David,

I've never seen a photogravure, let alone make one, but I have a question.

How is "open bite" avoided in dark areas without using an aquatint screen? Is it some sort of printer dithering pattern magic?

P.S. Have they given you a hero badge for the intuitive leap of logic and tenacity in coming up with SLIMT yet?

Murray

Sorry for the delay in responding. I just don't get notices even though I have set it up to do so.

I use a direct-to-plate approach with an Epson printer. The 'aquatint' screen is part of the image. You don't even have to think about it. It is automatic with the image exposure and always correct. Couldn't be easier.
As for my hero badge.. still waiting. Expecting it any day now. I know the ticker tape parade will happen any time. Hmmmmm!
The problem with Selective Latent Image Manipulation Techniques is that they are far too complicated for millennials. You know, pre-soak in a SLIMT bath instead of water!! They just can't handle anything that complex!!! ;-)

davidkachel
2-Jun-2019, 11:36
How well does the inkjet dither deliver the hard dot that gravure needs?

More apologies for not seeing this sooner. The inkjet dither is perfection. Never a single problem, EVER!!

davidkachel
2-Jun-2019, 11:41
Boost. C'mon guys, photographers have been waiting 100 years for this gigantic advancement. Your blind, arthritic aunt Tillie can make photogravures with this approach.
If they haven't been waiting in large format photography, where could they possibly be? ;-)

Sam L
7-Mar-2022, 08:41
I know this is a very old thread, but I wanted to say that after a week of failing to make a polymer photogravure using the standard 2-exposure method, I saw this comment and tested directly printing the image on the plate with my Epson p900 and it works very well.

David actually wrote a book on this, which I wish I had discovered before wasting a week and $100 on plates:
http://davidkachel.com/wpNewDK/?page_id=593

He also has written a set of truly excellent articles, which I have enjoyed reading and have greatly increased my understanding of the technical aspects of photography:
http://davidkachel.com/wpNewDK/?page_id=8

Thank you, David!

h2oman
8-Mar-2022, 19:33
Be sure to find the article "Ban the Bedsheets" if you want a good chuckle and some interesting thoughts about print size. If you are overly sensitive and print large, skip it.

newt
9-Jun-2022, 05:06
These are lovely, Hendrik.

domaz
9-Jun-2022, 09:32
This looks very interesting. I'm assuming this means workers can avoid the current shortage of polymer plates (caused by the CPU chip shortage) and still practice photogravure?