PDA

View Full Version : LF beginner and a Wista 6x7 rollfilm back for 4X5

roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau
15-Apr-2019, 14:03
Not as obvious as this sounds, I've been thinking that learning some of the basic exposure and (limited) movement issues might be learned with a roll film back - since acquired. Film is cheaper and I can eliminate some of the variables of loading film holders and sheet development for later. This could be a simple way to get started. And since (of course) I didn't ask whether or not this is valid, now is a good time. My thought is to get my feet wet with "knowns" and then move to the new skills once I can establish that I'm managing to take a shot that actually works. Also, since I don't actually have more than a 6X6 MF camera, I thought this might be nice for that purpose as well.

Jac@stafford.net
15-Apr-2019, 14:09
Horseman 6x12 back. Expensive, but it will be with you for your lifetime, with happiness.
Oh, regarding movements if your back can be rotated you will have a lot of fun, too.

Corran
15-Apr-2019, 14:12
I thought the same as you when I started, but after buying a rollfilm back that didn't work for me I just dove headfirst into sheet film. It's really not all that hard, so IMO just skip the roll back and shoot 4x5 as intended. Be methodical and you won't make many mistakes.

Now as far as using rollbacks for panoramic images, like Jac mentions the Horseman is fantastic and well worth your time if you are into that aspect ratio (1:2).

Bernice Loui
15-Apr-2019, 19:28
Reversion to using roll film in an effort to learn how to use a sheet film camera is counter-productive.

Point of struggling to learn exposure, loading film, developing film (applies to roll film too), camera movements, camera-lens operation, composition and all that IS why using sheet film is crucial to the sheet film (view camera) process. It is much about learning and developing the skills and discipline required to be competent at this form of image making. It is also about slowing down the image making process to know-visualize what the finished print will be.

Bernice

Not as obvious as this sounds, I've been thinking that learning some of the basic exposure and (limited) movement issues might be learned with a roll film back - since acquired. Film is cheaper and I can eliminate some of the variables of loading film holders and sheet development for later. This could be a simple way to get started.

Drew Wiley
19-Apr-2019, 17:23
I too recommend learning sheet film first. For one thing, you can segregate your individual sheet exposures for specific degrees of development, as in the Zone system. It's also easier to learn focus and camera movements on a larger ground glass image than a small roll film area. Then with that Wista holder you have to remove the 4x5 back after focus and set it somewhere safe while the roll film holder is being used, hope everything stays stable, and then replace the original back each time. Ordinary sheet film holders are easier in this respect. Roll film is of course cheaper, and roll film backs offer greater portability than multiples of sheet film holders, but you give up some image quality by going smaller. Not every view camera is comfortable with shorter lenses either, if it gets to the point the bellows are scrunched up. There are dedicated roll film view cameras and technical cameras, but they often weigh just as much as full 4x5 field cameras, and might cost even more due to lower production quantities. So what is your overall objective? If it's enlarging from full 4x5 film, I'd just jump right in and start learning the ropes. A roll film back might prove to be a distracting detour.