PDA

View Full Version : Errors on Development

neildw
15-Apr-2019, 09:56
Hi guys,

I hope you guys can help me with the next problem.

Yesterday I did a shoot with the 4x5.
Except a series of colors, I did two B&W shots. (Kodak TmX400)
I developed them as I ''always'' do (mind: I just got back into analog & dev).

But then,.... I got these out of tank: (1 of 2 images)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47562356962_bfc97d0bd4_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2fsVvFh)Errors on dev (https://flic.kr/p/2fsVvFh) by Smith De Westelinck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/131227436@N06/)

My guess,... it has something to do with development.
And I have a slight idea what the problem could be, but want to hear your feedback about it.

I develop with a Stearman Press (tank), so this could be a hint regarding those green stripes.

Hit me up with your ideas and feedback.

aaronnate
15-Apr-2019, 13:56
The film was touching something during development. Saw a lot of this while assisting in a college darkroom. Students not feeding the 35mm film into the reels.

Corran
15-Apr-2019, 14:09
Put it back in the fix and see if it goes away. If the film was touching and stuck together, it's probably ruined, but if it just didn't fix in those areas, it can be remedied.

jmontague
15-Apr-2019, 16:31
It looks like one sheet of film touched another - assuming you had two sheets in each holder. Make sure that the emulsion side of the film is facing out - away from the holders - just as they are loaded in the film holders. I have used the SP-445 and at times, got shadows due to the ribs on the holders, and did have two sheets stick together. So this not unheard of. But, 99% of the negatives came out perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neildw
15-Apr-2019, 20:48
Put it back in the fix and see if it goes away. If the film was touching and stuck together, it's probably ruined, but if it just didn't fix in those areas, it can be remedied.

Just back in the fix? Without problem?

neildw
15-Apr-2019, 20:51
It looks like one sheet of film touched another - assuming you had two sheets in each holder. Make sure that the emulsion side of the film is facing out - away from the holders - just as they are loaded in the film holders. I have used the SP-445 and at times, got shadows due to the ribs on the holders, and did have two sheets stick together. So this not unheard of. But, 99% of the negatives came out perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I believe the emulsion side touched the loading rack, not the other negative.

Corran
15-Apr-2019, 21:07
Just back in the fix? Without problem?

There is no issues with refixing. The only way to screw up the negative is to leave it in the fix for many hours. Just give it a try, it won't hurt.

Steve C
16-Apr-2019, 03:40
There is no issues with refixing. The only way to screw up the negative is to leave it in the fix for many hours. Just give it a try, it won't hurt.

Think I might have the same issue as the OP.

Can you refix even after everything has dried?

koraks
16-Apr-2019, 04:46
Yes.

Larry Gebhardt
16-Apr-2019, 09:56
Think I might have the same issue as the OP.

Can you refix even after everything has dried?

Yes, you can refix. I'd do it in a tray so you ensure that no parts are touching the tank again. Make sure you wash the film fully when done. This can all be done with the lights on.

jim_jm
16-Apr-2019, 16:53
As stated above, re-fixing won't harm the film if that's the cause here.
I use tubes for developing 4x5 and 5x7, and occasionally will also see these marks (green or blue) after the fixing stage. I determined that it was due to the base side of the film touching the inside of the tube and not getting sufficiently "wet" during processing, resulting in residue from the anti-halation layer A few additional minutes in Hypo-clear solution in a tray and they always go away.

Steve C
16-Apr-2019, 22:59
Yes, you can refix. I'd do it in a tray so you ensure that no parts are touching the tank again. Make sure you wash the film fully when done. This can all be done with the lights on.

Good to know.

Started developing at home these past few weeks and this happened fairly consistently.

I'll have another go. Cheers

neildw
20-Apr-2019, 23:47
Tonight I'm developing a new batch and I'll try this also...

neildw
22-Apr-2019, 09:25
Good news, extra fixation on the negatives worked!

Corran
22-Apr-2019, 11:04
Good to hear!